Jure Sanguinis citizenship - which US Naturalization papers do I need?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
jamesm113
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 78
Joined: 05 Aug 2024, 08:07

Jure Sanguinis citizenship - which US Naturalization papers do I need?

Post by jamesm113 »

I know my ancestor naturalized in June 1940, I found his Petition for Naturalization filed with the US District of the Southern District at New York, NY.

The petition itself has a number.

The "Oath of Allegiance" page has a certificate number.

Is this the C number that I need? Of course it has somewhat ambiguous handwriting (especially the last 7, could be a poorly written 9)

Where is the best place to get these records? UCSIS, NARA, NY State? NY City?
jamesm113
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 78
Joined: 05 Aug 2024, 08:07

Re: Jure Sanguinis citizenship - which US Naturalization papers do I need?

Post by jamesm113 »

Let me attempt to answer my own question.

Yes, that the C-FIle number is on the oath of allegiance form per https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir4wS6Fgx8U

For my consulate, (Los Angeles), either the Certificate of Naturalization is required (via UCSIS) or CERTIFIED COPY OF DECLARATION OF INTENTION, PETITION FOR NATURALIZATION, and
OATH OF ALLEGIANCE (via NARA) - https://conslosangeles.esteri.it/wp-con ... TATION.pdf

Please let me know if anyone knows different.
Post Reply