Requesting help with Partinico ancestry

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sybilhosek
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Aug 2024, 02:46

Re: Requesting help with Partinico ancestry

Post by sybilhosek »

Thank you, Erudita. Do you know whether Sant'Agata might have online records? Since Giuseppe was born there and his parents married there, perhaps he married there as well? I'm purely guessing at this point. I don't know why we can find the family's records but not his marriage or the birth record of my great-grandmother - and no record in Partinico where the bride was from (and subsequent children born). It's a mystery that is very hard to solve from far away. I really appreciate this forum!

Thanks,
Sybil
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Requesting help with Partinico ancestry

Post by erudita74 »

Sybil,

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to answer you. I'm not in Italy. I'm an American of southern Italian/and Sicilian descent, as is my husband. Our parents were also born in the U.S. Neither of us has ancestry from the Palermo area, and I've never been there. I'm just trying to brainstorm to get you some answers, but am hitting dead ends. Have you checked the familysearch.org catalog for the towns that Tessa previously listed for you where the Simoncini surname is found? I don't have time to go through all of those town records for you. I also noticed that years ago, someone else was on this forum researching the same family. I don’t know if it’s someone you know or with whom you could somehow connect in case that person has since found additional info on this Simoncini family.

https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... ni#p103077

Erudita
sybilhosek
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Aug 2024, 02:46

Re: Requesting help with Partinico ancestry

Post by sybilhosek »

Hi Erudita,

I'm grateful for what you've been able to do. I have already reached out to the authors of the Simoncini/Morone post.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks!
Sybil
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Requesting help with Partinico ancestry

Post by erudita74 »

Sybil

That link I gave you to that post is from many years ago, so I'd be surprised if you are able to get into contact with that person. Hopefully so, but I don't recall seeing that person on this forum in recent years.

I found a death record for a sister of Giuseppe Simoncini among that Partinico church records for the parish of Maria Santissima Annunziata. Unfortunately, it won't help you track down the birth and marriage records for which you are searching. I'm posting the info anyway, as sometimes it's possible to get clues about direct line ancestors from the records of siblings.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 5271&i=845

image 846 of 1004 record #54 (sister of Giuseppe Simoncini)-second record on left page

death on Feb 16, 1899 at about age 47 (born about 1852)

Death record of Maria Anna Simoncini in Partinico (Santa Maria Annunziata)-unmarried woman, daughter of deceased spouses Carlo Simoncini and Stefana Scaglione. Burial in Campo Sancto (I believe this is the town cemetery). Also in the margin is something I've never seen before in a church record. It seems to be the word for "poor" which appears in the margin by some of the other records as well.

Erudita
sybilhosek
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Aug 2024, 02:46

Re: Requesting help with Partinico ancestry

Post by sybilhosek »

Thank you, Erudita! That is very interesting - and every piece to the puzzle helps. I guess other members of the family made their way to Partinico from Palermo as well. This summer we went to Partinico, thinking I'd be able to find something about my GGM. We actually walked through that cemetery. There are huge monuments for many of the families, but there is also a "poor" section of headstones. The notation must signify that she was buried there.
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Requesting help with Partinico ancestry

Post by erudita74 »

Sybil

I’m so excited. I found Stefana’s baptism record. Will post the link, record, and particulars shortly.

So far another 3 children born between Stefana’s 1879 birth and the end of 1885.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Requesting help with Partinico ancestry

Post by erudita74 »

1.
Baptism record of Stefana Simoncini
Dated July 7, 1879 (right page bottom-folio 119)
She was born in Monreale to Don* Giuseppe Simoncini and Donna* Rosa Aruso, spouses of Partinico, Palermo, who were living in Monreale. Her godmother was Angela Surisi, daughter of deceased Leonardo of Partinico. *denotes titles.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=988561

2.
Baptism of Margarita Simoncini #626 (folio 38)
Dated December 29, 1881. She was born yesterday in Monreale (same parents except that their titles are not given in this record, here they are listed as spouses of Monte (Monreale). Godmother was Antonina Arusa, daughter of Mariano (Arusa) of Monreale

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=988561


3.
Baptism of Carlo Simoncini #541
Baptized on December 12, 1883. He was born yesterday to the same parents in Monreale. They were a married couple of Palermo. No titles for them in this record. Godparents were Mariano Arusa and Angela Sarisa of Palermo.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=988561

4. Baptism of Angela Carolina Simoncini (folio 168 right page)
Baptized November 26, 1885. Also born on the 26th in Monreale. Parents were of Palermo. Godmother was Antonia Aruso, daughter of Mariano Aruso of Monreale.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=988561

I don't see the marriage of Giuseppe Simoncini and Rosa Arusa in the indici for Monreale.
Farassino
Master
Master
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 May 2024, 17:05

Re: Requesting help with Partinico ancestry

Post by Farassino »

Wow!
Sincere Congratulations Erudita!
That was very difficult to find.
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Requesting help with Partinico ancestry

Post by erudita74 »

Farassino wrote: 09 Oct 2024, 00:25 Wow!
Sincere Congratulations Erudita!
That was very difficult to find.
Thanks, Farassino. I was originally looking for a marriage record there and, when I didn’t see it, didn’t think about checking the baptism records. At least now, we know that Rosa was definitely Stefana’s mother.

Erudita
sybilhosek
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Aug 2024, 02:46

Re: Requesting help with Partinico ancestry

Post by sybilhosek »

THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!! Wow! Thank you, Erudita! I can't thank you enough!!!

It must be that there was a second Carlo (born 1891 and baptised in Partinico) and then Angelina in 1895. This would perhaps explain the age gap between the Partinico siblings and Stefana. I'm so excited to dig into this further.

THANK YOU!!!!!
Sybil
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Requesting help with Partinico ancestry

Post by erudita74 »

Death index for the parish in Monreale

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 6915&i=230

death record for Carlo Simoncini -Aug 25, 1885. Died at age 1 and 8 months (#247 left page)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 6915&i=199

Sybil -I don't see the other children in this index, but you can double check.

Erudita
sybilhosek
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Aug 2024, 02:46

Re: Requesting help with Partinico ancestry

Post by sybilhosek »

Thanks, Erudita!
That's unfortunate about Carlo, but not surprising. Can I ask you how you approach these indexes - are you reading every page and scanning for names? Or is there a listing to see first?

Sybil
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Requesting help with Partinico ancestry

Post by erudita74 »

Sybil
With the death indexes-the categories are at the top of the page-

Starting left to right, you have the last name of the father, the last name of the mother, first name of the infant, followed by day, month, and year. The months and years are in order, but the surnames of the father are not. So you need to use the date. Since we already knew what date Carlo was baptized, I started with that date and came forward to find a death date for him. BUT, of course, I was looking for the surname Simoncini simultaneously.

I did this for each of the children I found, but Carlo’s death info was the only one I saw, but you can double check.

Erudita
Post Reply