I am trying to find my GGMs DOB. Neither her US marriage or death certificates indicate her exact DOB, only her age. I’ve found two passport applications for her. I am fairly certain they are both hers as she returned to Italy for a short time. I’m told that with this information, I can request a digital copy of her birth certificate from the State Archives of Naples. I sent an email in Italian with the required form, along with valid ID, but I’ve yet to hear back.
While I would like to have her birth certificate, I only need her DOB for my genealogy search. I believe she was born in 1883, although 1884 and 1882 are possible. I believe she was born in the city of Naples and not the provinces, possibly Vicaria. As far as I know, neither these records nor their indices have been digitized.
How can I find this information? I’ve attached the two passport files. Her name is Carmela Di Caprio, although the 2nd file spells it De Caprio. It is possible these are 2 different people with the same surname from a father with the same name, although she is on ship manifests from 1904 and 1908. There are no passport artifacts online from 1902-1903 and I am not sure why she would apply for a passport in 1901 for a 1904 trip. Maybe the ships were booked well in advance?
Looking for Neapolitan GGM’s Date of Birth
- musicalshore
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 02 Dec 2010, 20:07
Looking for Neapolitan GGM’s Date of Birth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Re: Looking for Neapolitan GGM’s Date of Birth
Here is the 1904 manifest for Carmela Di Caprio...
Age 21, from Naples, going to aunt Maria Di Caprio on Mulberry street in NYC
Line 17
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1368704
And an 1908 manifest at age 25 with a son, Santo, age 2, and a daughter Teresa, age 8 months.
Their names are crossed out...so either did not sail or elsewhere on ship manifest.
Lines 19-21
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1368704
Here is the other manifest for the 1908 Carmela with children. You can see on page 2 that her husband is Pasquale Russo.
Line 25-27
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1368704
**** if this is your ggm...it gives her place of birth as S. Antimo (Sant'Antimo), Naples.
T.
Age 21, from Naples, going to aunt Maria Di Caprio on Mulberry street in NYC
Line 17
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1368704
And an 1908 manifest at age 25 with a son, Santo, age 2, and a daughter Teresa, age 8 months.
Their names are crossed out...so either did not sail or elsewhere on ship manifest.
Lines 19-21
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1368704
Here is the other manifest for the 1908 Carmela with children. You can see on page 2 that her husband is Pasquale Russo.
Line 25-27
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1368704
**** if this is your ggm...it gives her place of birth as S. Antimo (Sant'Antimo), Naples.
T.
- musicalshore
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 02 Dec 2010, 20:07
Re: Looking for Neapolitan GGM’s Date of Birth
Wow, great catch! I didn’t notice that there were two manifests and that they were crossed out on the first one. After finding my GGM’s birth certificate, I had looked through the Sant’Antimo 1870-1890 index for her as I had no other leads at the time. It’s possible I missed her, but I just checked again from 1880-1888 and she’s not there. I looked in both the C section and the D section. In fact I found no Di Caprios, at all.
I thought she was born in Vicaria because her mother was born there.
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12657/an_ud1397939
Her mother came to live with her in 1906, bringing Carmela’s two sisters. Her mother’s occupation is listed as housewife/servant, which makes me think she’d live in a city, and her origin is listed as Napoli.
Ln 28-30 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JFX4-JNR
The first 1908 manifest, where Carmela is crossed out, has her brother listed as her nearest relative, living in Napoli.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 95R-JSYQ-B
Her mother died in NYC in 1918. Carmela would not be returning to Italy with her two children to visit her mother. Why would she take 2 infant children on a fairly hazardous trip across the Atlantic, unless to meet family? She had family in NYC to watch the children. I suspect she took them to visit her mother in law, and the Sant’Antimo box on the manifest was where they were visiting and my GGM misunderstood the question.
I thought she was born in Vicaria because her mother was born there.
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12657/an_ud1397939
Her mother came to live with her in 1906, bringing Carmela’s two sisters. Her mother’s occupation is listed as housewife/servant, which makes me think she’d live in a city, and her origin is listed as Napoli.
Ln 28-30 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JFX4-JNR
The first 1908 manifest, where Carmela is crossed out, has her brother listed as her nearest relative, living in Napoli.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 95R-JSYQ-B
Her mother died in NYC in 1918. Carmela would not be returning to Italy with her two children to visit her mother. Why would she take 2 infant children on a fairly hazardous trip across the Atlantic, unless to meet family? She had family in NYC to watch the children. I suspect she took them to visit her mother in law, and the Sant’Antimo box on the manifest was where they were visiting and my GGM misunderstood the question.
Re: Looking for Neapolitan GGM’s Date of Birth
Do you have the birth act of Pasquale Russo?
Possible...
#23
Dated 16 January 1883 in Sant'Antimo
Birth on 15th.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3011&i=122
T.
Possible...
#23
Dated 16 January 1883 in Sant'Antimo
Birth on 15th.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3011&i=122
T.
- musicalshore
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 02 Dec 2010, 20:07
Re: Looking for Neapolitan GGM’s Date of Birth
Yes, that’s him.
