Coribanti

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
User avatar
maple62
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 19 Jan 2005, 00:00
Location: London, England
Contact:

Coribanti

Post by maple62 »

I've come across some text relating to a village in Matera that I'm researching... San Mauro Forte, which is titled "I Coribanti Superstiti"

It's not difficult to translate superstiti but can anyone help me with the meaning of Coribanti please?

Thanks

Michael
User avatar
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 739
Joined: 15 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: The Alps - N.Italy

Re: Coribanti

Post by elba »

maple62 wrote:I've come across some text relating to a village in Matera that I'm researching... San Mauro Forte, which is titled "I Coribanti Superstiti"

It's not difficult to translate superstiti but can anyone help me with the meaning of Coribanti please?

Thanks

Michael
The coribanti were priests.
coribanti-click here

This is from Wikipedia and is their electronic translation(not very good). But if you do a Google search on 'coribanti' or 'Corybant' (for English) it will describe them for you.

elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Coribanti

Post by nuccia »

Here's the English link..

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en ... S:official

Hope its the same one! :D

Nuccia
Post Reply