Vito Zummo in Palermo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
slove14
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 12 Feb 2025, 00:34

Vito Zummo in Palermo

Post by slove14 »

Hello new friends! I am writing from Los Angeles, California in USA because I am working to track down my great great great grandfather, Vito Zummo born July 10, 1869 in Palermo, Italy.

I am hoping to be able to locate his birth record as my family is working hard to gather documents for dual citizenship and we are very excited to locate this missing document.

Is anyone able to help us locate his information and possibly point me in the right direction of who/how to reach out for a copy of this birth certificate?

We will also be looking for Giuseppe Montaciallo (his wife), born sometime in 1876 also in Palermo. I have not been able to determine the actual birth date.

We believe the two of them were married some time in 1894, but we are not sure the exact date or where they were married. Maybe Palermo as well? Does anyone know how to go about retrieving marriage records as well?

So many helpful friends on this board, I thought I would reach out and see what anyone is able to find. Thank you in advance for your time and insight!!

Be well!

Stephanie
Farassino
Master
Master
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 May 2024, 17:05

Re: Vito Zummo in Palermo

Post by Farassino »

Hi,
Are you sure about the birth date?
In the Palermo’s decennial birth record index 1866-1875 there’s only one Vito Zummo, son of Antonio and Carmela Budolico born on 24 November 1868.
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 55/5BqPe3k

Also, His wife’s surname doesn’t seem to be correct.
slove14
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 12 Feb 2025, 00:34

Re: Vito Zummo in Palermo

Post by slove14 »

I saw this in my search, too! Darn. The date of birth came from his grave headstone, so now I’m wondering if it could be the Palermo part that’s incorrect. Any idea how I can search broader? His ship to NY USA left from Naples, but a trip like that would have required a bit of travel I’m sure.

Any ideas?

Thank you for replying!!
slove14
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 12 Feb 2025, 00:34

Re: Vito Zummo in Palermo

Post by slove14 »

Sorry for the double reply! Also we have located his ship passenger record from Naples to NY. It was the Sarnia, and arrived March 2, 1987. It shows his age is 26, but I would think the gravestone would be more accurate than the ship record? Not sure. But it does list Guiseppa (his wife) as being on the ship with him, as well as a daughter Paola (age 3) and son Antonio (3 months).

I’m not sure if this could help but wanted to share. Now I’m wondering if it’s Palermo that could be the incorrect info.

Thanks again for helping me :)
Farassino
Master
Master
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 May 2024, 17:05

Re: Vito Zummo in Palermo

Post by Farassino »

Sorry, I’ve sent you the wrong link somehow.
This, for reference, it’s the correct one I meant to send.
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 31/wr71Nqn

and this is the ship manifest you’ve mentioned.
https://heritage.statueofliberty.org/pa ... 5pZmVzdCI7

Vito’s wife surname is reported as being Mutaccioli but again it could be wrong.
It could well be Monticciolo, present in Sicily.

Do you know the names of Vito’s parents?
And those of Giuseppa?
Farassino
Master
Master
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 May 2024, 17:05

Re: Vito Zummo in Palermo

Post by Farassino »

There’s this family tree online.
Vito Zummo and Giuseppa Monticciolo. Could be them but the location is different.
In here is Trapani.
Do you recognise any names of the children?
There’s an Antonio but no Paola.
https://www.familysearch.org/en/tree/pe ... s/GXBL-J14
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Vito Zummo in Palermo

Post by Tessa78 »

This poster had sent a PM to me.
I was able to find a manifest showing his brother Antonio Zummo joining Vito Zummo in New Orleans. The place of birth was listed as Poggioreale.

Subsequently, I found the birth act for Vito's daughter Paola in 1903 in Poggioreale and sent it back in a PM.

Just so you know.

Here is the context of the last PM I sent to the poster...
Thank you for the manifest. Unfortunately, this is the type of manifest that holds little information.

I have searched and located a manifest for an Antonio Zummo and wife Maria Messina traveling to his brother Vito Zummo in New Orleans. Antonio lists birthplace as Poggioreale, Trapani, Sicily. I will see what I can find.

Here is the manifest link... line 8
https://www.ancestry.com/search/collect ... cessSource

EDIT TO ADD:

I believe we are on the right track.
Here is the birth of Vito's daughter Paola in 1903.
Birth on 28 February
#34
Parents: Vito Zummo and Giuseppa Monticciolo
Presented at town hall by the midwife Antonina Caronna.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... ng=en&i=97


T.
slove14
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 12 Feb 2025, 00:34

Re: Vito Zummo in Palermo

Post by slove14 »

Hi guys! THANK YOU so much! This is really really helpful and I used the info to find his actual birth record here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... g=en&i=159

It's on the bottom right corner. Does anyone have the ability to translate what this says?

WE ARE SO EXCITED!!!

Thank you, Thank you!
slove14
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 12 Feb 2025, 00:34

Re: Vito Zummo in Palermo

Post by slove14 »

Following up again! We found their marriage record as well here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... g=en&i=282

We cannot find Guiseppa's birth record, though. Does the marriage record show where she is from? I combed the Poggioreale birth records for relevant dates near what we thought hers may be with no luck. I'm wondering if she could be from a different area. Any ideas/thoughts? This is the last thing we are missing in Italy!

Thank you everyone! Wow lots of progress today. Couldn't do it without your help!
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Vito Zummo in Palermo

Post by Tessa78 »

slove14 wrote: 14 Feb 2025, 00:23 Hi guys! THANK YOU so much! This is really really helpful and I used the info to find his actual birth record here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... g=en&i=159

It's on the bottom right corner. Does anyone have the ability to translate what this says?

WE ARE SO EXCITED!!!

Thank you, Thank you!
Birth act #85
Dated 19 September 1872 at the town hall
Birth on 14 September
Father: Antonino Zummo, son of deceased [illegible], age30, farmer
Mother: Paola Pizzolato, residing with him
Child given the name Vito

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Vito Zummo in Palermo

Post by Tessa78 »

slove14 wrote: 14 Feb 2025, 02:09 Following up again! We found their marriage record as well here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... g=en&i=282

We cannot find Guiseppa's birth record, though. Does the marriage record show where she is from? I combed the Poggioreale birth records for relevant dates near what we thought hers may be with no luck. I'm wondering if she could be from a different area. Any ideas/thoughts? This is the last thing we are missing in Italy!

Thank you everyone! Wow lots of progress today. Couldn't do it without your help!
Marriage on 18 February 1892
Groom: Vito Zummo, unmarried, age 20, farmer, born and residing in Poggioreale; son of Antonino and of Paola Pizzolato, both residing in Poggioreale
Banns of marriage were posted on 7 and 14 February.
Present were the parents of the spouses who gave they consent to the marriage.

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Vito Zummo in Palermo

Post by Tessa78 »

And here is the birth act of Giuseppa Monticciolo in 1874 (#10)
Birth on 19 January.
Bottom right of image and next page
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... g=en&i=230

T.
slove14
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 12 Feb 2025, 00:34

Re: Vito Zummo in Palermo

Post by slove14 »

WOWWWW!! Seriously you guys are AMAZING! Thank you doesn't seem to be enough! I am so grateful.
nholem17
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 19 Feb 2025, 06:16

Re: Vito Zummo in Palermo

Post by nholem17 »

I can't believe I stumbled upon this, it answered so many of my questions! Vito Zummo is my great great grandfather, and his son Antonio Zummo is my great grandfather. I've been trying to figure out what city they were from because our family rumor was that they were from Palermo. After doing more research, I saw a few things about Poggioreale but was afraid the records could have been destroyed in the earthquake. So glad y'all were able to find the records!

(Sadly, the minor court ruling disqualifies me personally. But I can't help but continue my research :) )
Post Reply