Thanks so much for your reply. I will get all of the info I have and post it. Do you know if they grant Italian passports for 3rd generation? My great grandfather was born in Italy and he immigrated to the US.
Thanks again!
Juliet
Grandmothers Birth Certificate
Re: Grandmothers Birth Certificate
Hi Juliet,
They do indeed. You would have to prove, however, that there is an unbroken citizenship line between your great grandfather and you.
Some questions to ask:
- Did your great grandfather ever naturalize?
- If he did naturalize, did he do so AFTER the birth of your grandfather?
- If you are going through the female side of the family, remember that a woman could not pass on Italian citizenship before 1948.
Let us know what you find out, and then we can give you some more information about what you will need.
They do indeed. You would have to prove, however, that there is an unbroken citizenship line between your great grandfather and you.
Some questions to ask:
- Did your great grandfather ever naturalize?
- If he did naturalize, did he do so AFTER the birth of your grandfather?
- If you are going through the female side of the family, remember that a woman could not pass on Italian citizenship before 1948.
Let us know what you find out, and then we can give you some more information about what you will need.
Re: Grandmothers Birth Certificate
Hello,
First I want to thank you. I'm so appreciative of your input, it's incredibly helpful so far. I believe my grandfather did naturalize, I will try to confirm if he did that after the birth of my grandfather. If he did it before would that break the line? I am going through the female side of the family and my mother was born in 1951 (just made it!)
Let me know if there are other critical questions I can try to get answered and I will try to find them out all at once.
Thank you so very much again.
Best,
Juliet
First I want to thank you. I'm so appreciative of your input, it's incredibly helpful so far. I believe my grandfather did naturalize, I will try to confirm if he did that after the birth of my grandfather. If he did it before would that break the line? I am going through the female side of the family and my mother was born in 1951 (just made it!)
Thank you so very much again.
Best,
Juliet
Re: Grandmothers Birth Certificate
Hi Juliet,
If he naturalized before your grandfather's birth, that would break the line. If he naturalized after, you're all set. Good luck.
BTW, through which consulate would you be applying? Different consulates have different requirements in terms of documents.
One more note. You didn't just make it. Since your mom got her citizenship through her father (assuming the naturalization dates work out), the 1948 rule does not apply to her. She just couldn't pass citizenship to you before that date.
If he naturalized before your grandfather's birth, that would break the line. If he naturalized after, you're all set. Good luck.
BTW, through which consulate would you be applying? Different consulates have different requirements in terms of documents.
One more note. You didn't just make it. Since your mom got her citizenship through her father (assuming the naturalization dates work out), the 1948 rule does not apply to her. She just couldn't pass citizenship to you before that date.
- redangie24
- Newbie

- Posts: 13
- Joined: 29 May 2006, 00:00
- Location: Robins AFB, GA
Re: Grandmothers Birth Certificate
Did you find what town your grandfather was born in? For me what worked was following the line from birth certificates. I checked my mother's birth certificate to find out where my grandmother was born and checked my grandmothers birth certificate to find out where my grandfather was born. The process can take a while especially now since I am working on death certificates and I have no idea where most of them were when they passes. I have found the church very helpful. The mormon church can have really good records as well. It turns out they did not have any on my family, but its free to check and some of them are on microfilm and you can have them copy the actual film and send them to you for a small fee. But if you just need information on where to go to get records most of it can be found online.
