Pre-1809 and post 1940ish Italian research questions

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
philliphernan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 20 Feb 2025, 07:58

Pre-1809 and post 1940ish Italian research questions

Post by philliphernan »

Hello,
did a search and sort of found a half answer but wanted to ask more specifically.

I am researching for my brother in Serino, Avellino, Campania, Italy. I don’t fully understand the hierarchy of the record keeping there. My questions are multiple-

For more current records than antenati has who do I write to? I understand there are form letters and my brother can request info for his direct ancestors? Is his at the Serino level or the Avellino level?

I read about Stato di Famiglia, how do I know if such a thing exist in that area or not? If it does how do we obtain it?

How do I know where to look for older than 1809 church records? It seems to be a relatively small area but I don’t know if there are multiple parishes I need to be contacting. Is there any database or do I start finding churches on google maps?
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5841
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Pre-1809 and post 1940ish Italian research questions

Post by PippoM »

You can write to the Comune of Serino, but they won't do a genealogical research for you.
You have to know the birth year to request a certificate.
Have you looked only in Antenati, or in Family Search, too?
A Stato di Famiglia does not "exist" itself, it must be created via a research in the archive, and might be expensive.
Here are the present parishes in Serino:

https://www.chiesacattolica.it/annuario ... erino&nome
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Post Reply