Searching for Salvato Family from late 1800s

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
MaOtter
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 08 Mar 2025, 08:17

Searching for Salvato Family from late 1800s

Post by MaOtter »

Hello!

Totaly newbie here looking for some direction.

I'm hoping to help my husband's family learn more about their Italian ancestry.

We have various American records, but haven't found any Italian documents or travel records. All records start after Antony/Antonio arrives in New York.

GOAL: Find records prior to arrival
QUESTION: Can it be done? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Name(s): Antony/Antonio Salvato
Birth: 1873
ARRIVAL: Kings County, NY USA on Jan 16, 1889 (listed on his petition for Naturalization)
NATURALIZATION: Aug. 5, 1903
BIRTHPLACE: "Samlaco, Italy" which seems to be an alternate spelling of "Samolaco".  

I've attached a couple of documents that have additional helpful details; I believe his father's name was John but I'm not sure about his Mom.  **Can anyone read that on his marriage certificate?

If you have any TIPS or RESOURCES, I'll be very grateful for your help!  

I've listed the sources I've tried below, but I'd be open to any ideas about how to use those resources better because I'm not sure I've done everything correctly.


Thanks so much everyone!!


I've tried searching:

https://www.familysearch.org "Italian Births and Baptisms"

Ancestry.com (which is where I found the American records)

This site in Italy: https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/

The Statue of Liberty Archives here: https://heritage.statueofliberty.org/pa ... 5pZmVzdCI7
Farassino
Master
Master
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 May 2024, 17:05

Re: Searching for Salvato Family from late 1800s

Post by Farassino »

Hello,

Can you post the marriage certificate you’ve mentioned above?
Post Reply