help with translation please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
apontelancini
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 29 Mar 2025, 04:01

help with translation please

Post by apontelancini »

So far i translated this much ..

The year one thousand eight hundred and eighty-one , on the thirty day of july, at hours before hungarian sundials and minutes at two nella casa communale....

Infront of me...

Civil status officer of the municipality of milan,....and extras, lancini luigi, of age 28 " " domiciled in this city, who told me that at " " four sundials thirty minutes...
Attachments
APONTE LANCINI.pdf
(505.2 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: help with translation please

Post by darkerhorse »

I’ve got a bad track record, but unless they actually kept time in Milan with Hungarian sundials, I’d say the time was 11:40 am (ante meridane = before noon) and (undici = eleven) and (quaranta = 40) and (nella casa comunale) = in the town hall.

But I applaud you for trying. That’s the only way to learn, and it’s more rewarding if you can translate by yourself. I think everyone should be as adventurous as you.

Almost anyone else in this forum can give you a better translation of the rest, so I’ll defer for now. But I suspect someone will correct me (as I said I'm an amateur) and do the rest for you properly. If no one else responds, then I'll give it a try myself.

Bravo!
Post Reply