https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... g=en&i=179
i am told this is an ordination
it is under marriages
that is interesting
Please translate
Thanks
Linda
Giuseppe stilla ordination
-
lindamauer
- Master

- Posts: 1002
- Joined: 12 Mar 2017, 03:49
Re: Giuseppe stilla ordination
bump to top for possible response
thanks
thanks
-
lindamauer
- Master

- Posts: 1002
- Joined: 12 Mar 2017, 03:49
Re: Giuseppe stilla ordination
anyone up for translating my cousin
i find it fascinating to think that when a person is ordained they record it as a marriage
am curious how it is worded
Thanks
linda
i find it fascinating to think that when a person is ordained they record it as a marriage
am curious how it is worded
Thanks
linda
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Giuseppe stilla ordination
So you are looking at No 738 - it is always helpful to give the number of the record
I can pick out some words there but I'm not a Latin reader. I'm sure one of our experts will help.
If it is an ordination, it has possibly been recorded with the marriages because it is one of the seven sacraments of the Catholic Church and because of the promises (vows) that are made at the ordination.
(I don't know about priests but I attended a Convent School from new entrants right through, and I'm sure nuns wore a silver ring on their left hand as if married, and it basically resembled them being dedicated to Christ Jesus.)
Angela
I can pick out some words there but I'm not a Latin reader. I'm sure one of our experts will help.
If it is an ordination, it has possibly been recorded with the marriages because it is one of the seven sacraments of the Catholic Church and because of the promises (vows) that are made at the ordination.
(I don't know about priests but I attended a Convent School from new entrants right through, and I'm sure nuns wore a silver ring on their left hand as if married, and it basically resembled them being dedicated to Christ Jesus.)
Angela
Re: Giuseppe stilla ordination
Linda
I saw this record yesterday, but have never before seen such a record. So I’ll tell you what I think it says, but someone with a more advanced knowledge of Latin will have to make corrections.
Dated January 3, 1700
There were 3 banns or public announcements of Giuseppe Stella’s intention to be ordained. These were made on Dec 4, 6, and 8th (1699). He was the legitimate and natural son of deceased Antonino and living Maria Stilla, formerly a Married couple of this town. (she, as a widow, still resides in the town). The record reads that Giuseppe Stilla desires to ascend to the Sacred Order by virtue of the integrity of his family or by that fact itself. The banns had resulted in no impediments to him ascending to the Sacred Order (or being ordained).
Someone else will have to give you a more detailed explanation.
I saw this record yesterday, but have never before seen such a record. So I’ll tell you what I think it says, but someone with a more advanced knowledge of Latin will have to make corrections.
Dated January 3, 1700
There were 3 banns or public announcements of Giuseppe Stella’s intention to be ordained. These were made on Dec 4, 6, and 8th (1699). He was the legitimate and natural son of deceased Antonino and living Maria Stilla, formerly a Married couple of this town. (she, as a widow, still resides in the town). The record reads that Giuseppe Stilla desires to ascend to the Sacred Order by virtue of the integrity of his family or by that fact itself. The banns had resulted in no impediments to him ascending to the Sacred Order (or being ordained).
Someone else will have to give you a more detailed explanation.
Re: Giuseppe stilla ordination
Just to elaborate further about the integrity of this family -
I think that, as a family, and also in terms of its heritage in the town, it had a reputation of having strong moral principles and acting in accordance with them. So the family were church goers, married in the church, had their children baptized, confirmed (receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation depended on when the bishop came to their town-so in whatever years he came, there were infants, older children, and even adults who received the sacrament at the same time), etc.
I think that, as a family, and also in terms of its heritage in the town, it had a reputation of having strong moral principles and acting in accordance with them. So the family were church goers, married in the church, had their children baptized, confirmed (receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation depended on when the bishop came to their town-so in whatever years he came, there were infants, older children, and even adults who received the sacrament at the same time), etc.
-
lindamauer
- Master

- Posts: 1002
- Joined: 12 Mar 2017, 03:49
Re: Giuseppe stilla ordination
Hello erudita
thanks much
you read a lot
i am glad i presented a record not common
it is endearing to the process and my culture when things of this nature are revered.
thank you for allowing me to imagine their way of handling this
things back then seemed more transparent
it is an honor to read into a glimpse of this time
thank you so very much
i wish you many blessings
Linda
thanks much
you read a lot
i am glad i presented a record not common
it is endearing to the process and my culture when things of this nature are revered.
thank you for allowing me to imagine their way of handling this
things back then seemed more transparent
it is an honor to read into a glimpse of this time
thank you so very much
i wish you many blessings
Linda
Re: Giuseppe stilla ordination
Hi Linda
I can always use many blessings. Thank you. Also finally had a morning here without rain and got out to do a several mile power walk, so feeling really good.
Anyway, I’m still hoping that one of the native Italian volunteers on this forum (mmogno, Livio, or Pippo) will look over this record and confirm my thoughts.
Erudita
I can always use many blessings. Thank you. Also finally had a morning here without rain and got out to do a several mile power walk, so feeling really good.
Anyway, I’m still hoping that one of the native Italian volunteers on this forum (mmogno, Livio, or Pippo) will look over this record and confirm my thoughts.
Erudita