I’m researching my ancestor Saverio Fortino, who I believe was born around 1770, likely in Donnici, Cosenza, Calabria (Donnici was previously governed by Pietrafitta, then Aprigliano, then was annexed to the city Cosenza in 1857 - though I believe they still maintained their own records despite this).
Based on a son’s marriage record, I know Saverio was still alive in 1839.
He was married twice—first to Saveria Filice, and later to Saveria Borello (or Borelli). I am hoping to trace Saverio’s parents or siblings, and go one generation further back if possible. I know his death record would likely contain this information. Unfortunately, the civil records for Donnici available online only begin in 1866, and I haven't yet been able to locate earlier records or other sources.
I would be very grateful for any help, suggestions, or guidance on where to look next.
Hit a wall in my research
Re: Hit a wall in my research
Is this your family tree?
https://www.familysearch.org/en/tree/pe ... s/GR13-Q38
Where did you see that Saverio was married twice?
Looking at their sons dates of birth it’s not possible that he did.
It looks like the 2 wives were alive at the same time and giving birth in alternate years.
Their sons death acts are all present online and they approximately match the dates of birth present on the tree.
So, presumably, they are 2 different Saverio.
One married to Saveria Borrello and the other to Saveria Filice.
Unless you can prove it differently.
Can we see the 1839 marriage act?
https://www.familysearch.org/en/tree/pe ... s/GR13-Q38
Where did you see that Saverio was married twice?
Looking at their sons dates of birth it’s not possible that he did.
It looks like the 2 wives were alive at the same time and giving birth in alternate years.
Their sons death acts are all present online and they approximately match the dates of birth present on the tree.
So, presumably, they are 2 different Saverio.
One married to Saveria Borrello and the other to Saveria Filice.
Unless you can prove it differently.
Can we see the 1839 marriage act?
Re: Hit a wall in my research
I think you must be right about them being two different Saverios given the overlap. My ancestor is Saverio’s son Francesco, meaning Saverio with wife Saveria Borrello is the correct Saverio. I can’t find the 1839 record right now but this is a marriage record of Francesco and his first wife (and now I fear I imagined the 1839 record lol but I swear someone shared it).
ETA; the 1839 record was Francesco fortinos second marriage to Teresa bozzo so it would be the right saverio fortino, still looking for it
ETA; the 1839 record was Francesco fortinos second marriage to Teresa bozzo so it would be the right saverio fortino, still looking for it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
21distinctive
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 09 Jun 2025, 08:15
Re: Hit a wall in my research
Tracing ancestors can feel like navigating a complex Geometry Dash level, full of unexpected turns. Your Saverio Fortino search is intriguing! The Donnici record gaps are a common challenge. Have you explored church records for baptisms, marriages, and burials? Sometimes those pre-date civil records. Also, consider reaching out to genealogical societies in the Cosenza area. They might have insights beyond online databases. Good luck with your search!
Re: Hit a wall in my research
Farassino wrote: 03 Jun 2025, 01:09 Is this your family tree?
https://www.familysearch.org/en/tree/pe ... s/GR13-Q38
Where did you see that Saverio was married twice?
Looking at their sons dates of birth it’s not possible that he did.
It looks like the 2 wives were alive at the same time and giving birth in alternate years.
Their sons death acts are all present online and they approximately match the dates of birth present on the tree.
So, presumably, they are 2 different Saverio.
One married to Saveria Borrello and the other to Saveria Filice.
Unless you can prove it differently.
Can we see the 1839 marriage act?
As a quick update, I learned that "saveria filice" being written on Agata and Raffaele's death records was a clerical error, based on their marriage records, which say Saveria borrello - confirming it is the same Saverio fortino. Thanks!
