Help Translating Back of Photo

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
porta1412
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 113
Joined: 05 Nov 2024, 21:36

Help Translating Back of Photo

Post by porta1412 »

Hello all,

Can someone please help me with translating the back of this photo.

Thanks so much
Joe
Attachments
IMG_1293.JPG
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Help Translating Back of Photo

Post by PippoM »

Ospedale di Bolzano (?) 16 1947
Carissima mamma, ti mando questa cartolina
guardatela bene e conoscetela bene
ciao mamma
ci vediamo presto

Bolzano Hospital (I can't see the month of the date)
Dear Mum, I'm sending you this postcard
look at it (or her) well, and get to know it (or her) well - maybe there was a person in the photo?
Bye Mum
See you soon
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
porta1412
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 113
Joined: 05 Nov 2024, 21:36

Re: Help Translating Back of Photo

Post by porta1412 »

PippoM wrote: 18 Jun 2025, 11:40 Ospedale di Bolzano (?) 16 1947
Carissima mamma, ti mando questa cartolina
guardatela bene e conoscetela bene
ciao mamma
ci vediamo presto

Bolzano Hospital (I can't see the month of the date)
Dear Mum, I'm sending you this postcard
look at it (or her) well, and get to know it (or her) well - maybe there was a person in the photo?
Bye Mum
See you soon
Hi
Thanks so much for the translation, much appreciated
Here is the front of the photo. Its my uncle who was in WW2 but to me the photo just seemed off. 1947 was after the war had ended and he has a military hat on but his pants dont look right.
He was also from Sicily so not sure why he was so far up North.
Thanks again.
Attachments
Sebastiano Military Service at Hospital.jpg
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Help Translating Back of Photo

Post by mmogno »

He appears to be wearing hospital pyjamas. Perhaps he was admitted to the Bonvicini Sanatorium on his return from captivity. It is perhaps the snow that signals to the mother to look and recognise.
You could search for your uncle's matriculation register to find out if he was still in the military in 1947.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
porta1412
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 113
Joined: 05 Nov 2024, 21:36

Re: Help Translating Back of Photo

Post by porta1412 »

mmogno wrote: 20 Jun 2025, 09:08 He appears to be wearing hospital pyjamas. Perhaps he was admitted to the Bonvicini Sanatorium on his return from captivity. It is perhaps the snow that signals to the mother to look and recognise.
You could search for your uncle's matriculation register to find out if he was still in the military in 1947.
Hi thank you for the response, yes maybe he is referring to the snow.
Sorry to be a bother but how do I go about searching for the matriculation register?
Thanks so much
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Help Translating Back of Photo

Post by mmogno »

I'd like to know his name, where he was born and where this uncle lived.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
porta1412
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 113
Joined: 05 Nov 2024, 21:36

Re: Help Translating Back of Photo

Post by porta1412 »

mmogno wrote: 21 Jun 2025, 16:33 I'd like to know his name, where he was born and where this uncle lived.
Hi
His name was Sebastiano Morello
Born Feb 10 1924 in Raccuja, Sicily
Lived in Raccuja then San Marco D’Alunzio and maybe Capo D’Orlando and then in 1950 immigrated to Australia, specifically Kingston SE.
He passed March 3 1954 in Adelaide
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Help Translating Back of Photo

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

porta1412 wrote: 22 Jun 2025, 05:07
mmogno wrote: 21 Jun 2025, 16:33 I'd like to know his name, where he was born and where this uncle lived.
Hi
His name was Sebastiano Morello
Born Feb 10 1924 in Raccuja, Sicily
Lived in Raccuja then San Marco D’Alunzio and maybe Capo D’Orlando and then in 1950 immigrated to Australia, specifically Kingston SE.
He passed March 3 1954 in Adelaide



Hi Joe

Just posting this in case you don’t haven’t seen it. It looks like Sebastiano arrived in Australia on 31 May 1949.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchN ... 38&T=P&S=2


Edit to Add in case you don't have:

Sebastiano Morello – Died in hospital 3 March 1954, 30 yo: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/arti ... %20Morello

Angela
porta1412
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 113
Joined: 05 Nov 2024, 21:36

Re: Help Translating Back of Photo

Post by porta1412 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 22 Jun 2025, 07:15
porta1412 wrote: 22 Jun 2025, 05:07
mmogno wrote: 21 Jun 2025, 16:33 I'd like to know his name, where he was born and where this uncle lived.
Hi
His name was Sebastiano Morello
Born Feb 10 1924 in Raccuja, Sicily
Lived in Raccuja then San Marco D’Alunzio and maybe Capo D’Orlando and then in 1950 immigrated to Australia, specifically Kingston SE.
He passed March 3 1954 in Adelaide



Hi Joe

Just posting this in case you don’t haven’t seen it. It looks like Sebastiano arrived in Australia on 31 May 1949.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchN ... 38&T=P&S=2


Edit to Add in case you don't have:

Sebastiano Morello – Died in hospital 3 March 1954, 30 yo: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/arti ... %20Morello

Angela
Hi Angela
Thank you so much for this information. Absolutely amazing. I will now go down the rabbit hole with that website :)
Thanks again
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Help Translating Back of Photo

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

:D I’m glad you found the two links interesting. I had found another newspaper clipping on Trove website and thought I’d saved the link to it, but I haven’t, and for some reason the site seems to be down at the moment. It was basically a publicised acknowledgement thanking friends etc who had been supportive leading up to Sebastiano’s passing. The site seems to be down at the moment so I’ll take a look later and see if I can find it.

The second website is the Australian National Archives. You should be able to locate other family members immigration, naturalisation records etc there.

Re the Foglio di Matricolare, you will need to write to the State Archives in Messina for this. I think you have the address already. (as-me@cultura.gov.it)

As I understand it, there will only be a Foglio Matricolare pertaining to Sebastiano if he was accepted and not exempted for any reason. The few times I have written to the State Archives for military records I’ve generally asked for the Liste di Leva (Conscription List) and any supporting military documents or something along those lines. (I guess you could use a similiar letter you wrote when you requested Salvatore L's military paper work.)

Best to you with this.

Angela
porta1412
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 113
Joined: 05 Nov 2024, 21:36

Re: Help Translating Back of Photo

Post by porta1412 »

mmogno wrote: 21 Jun 2025, 16:33 I'd like to know his name, where he was born and where this uncle lived.
I sent an email and in record time received the record back the same day, absolutely amazing. Please see attached the folio which says he still was in the army in 1947. I can also see the hospital name in the writing but cant understand the rest.

Can someone please help with the translation.
Thanks so much
Attachments
IMG_2018.jpeg
IMG_2019.jpeg
IMG_2020.jpeg
porta1412
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 113
Joined: 05 Nov 2024, 21:36

Re: Help Translating Back of Photo

Post by porta1412 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 23 Jun 2025, 01:38 :D I’m glad you found the two links interesting. I had found another newspaper clipping on Trove website and thought I’d saved the link to it, but I haven’t, and for some reason the site seems to be down at the moment. It was basically a publicised acknowledgement thanking friends etc who had been supportive leading up to Sebastiano’s passing. The site seems to be down at the moment so I’ll take a look later and see if I can find it.

The second website is the Australian National Archives. You should be able to locate other family members immigration, naturalisation records etc there.

Re the Foglio di Matricolare, you will need to write to the State Archives in Messina for this. I think you have the address already. (as-me@cultura.gov.it)

As I understand it, there will only be a Foglio Matricolare pertaining to Sebastiano if he was accepted and not exempted for any reason. The few times I have written to the State Archives for military records I’ve generally asked for the Liste di Leva (Conscription List) and any supporting military documents or something along those lines. (I guess you could use a similiar letter you wrote when you requested Salvatore L's military paper work.)

Best to you with this.

Angela
Hi Angela
Thanks so much for the help. Here is the document they sent back to me about his military record. Should I be asking for other military records as well as the folio or is this all that there would be?

I’m really interested in his campaigns and what division he was in etc

Thanks
Joe
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Help Translating Back of Photo

Post by mmogno »

Sebastiano Morello did not participate in the Second World War.

On 12 June 1943, he was recalled and declared reviewable, leaving him on unlimited temporary leave pending the call to arms for those born in 1925.

Note that on 8 September 1943, the armistice between Italy and the Allies was signed.

He was recalled again, after the war ended, on 16 August 1946.
He was released again on 26 August 1946.

He was recalled on 19 September 1946 and sent to the recruit training centre in Montorio Veronese.
After finishing his training on 31 October, he was assigned to the 4th Artieri Company in Udine.

He then alternated between admissions to the military hospitals in Verona and Bolzano, convalescent leave, and returns to his unit in Udine until he was discharged without limitation on 19 September 1947.

The photo must have been taken on 16 January 1947, as he was in the Bolzano hospital at that time.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
porta1412
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 113
Joined: 05 Nov 2024, 21:36

Re: Help Translating Back of Photo

Post by porta1412 »

mmogno wrote: 23 Jun 2025, 14:55 Sebastiano Morello did not participate in the Second World War.

On 12 June 1943, he was recalled and declared reviewable, leaving him on unlimited temporary leave pending the call to arms for those born in 1925.

Note that on 8 September 1943, the armistice between Italy and the Allies was signed.

He was recalled again, after the war ended, on 16 August 1946.
He was released again on 26 August 1946.

He was recalled on 19 September 1946 and sent to the recruit training centre in Montorio Veronese.
After finishing his training on 31 October, he was assigned to the 4th Artieri Company in Udine.

He then alternated between admissions to the military hospitals in Verona and Bolzano, convalescent leave, and returns to his unit in Udine until he was discharged without limitation on 19 September 1947.

The photo must have been taken on 16 January 1947, as he was in the Bolzano hospital at that time.
Hi
Thankyou so so much for the translation. I wondered why he seemed to be so sick all the time. He did pass young in 1954 from Leukemia so maybe that was part of it all.
Here are some more photos i found of him in the military. One i presume is his Unit, one is him in his uniform and the other he is recieved something from an officer.
Its all so very interesting.
Thanks to everyone for the help, much appreciated
Joe
Attachments
Sebastiano Military Service 2.jpg
Sebastiano Military Service 1.jpg
Sebastiano Military Service 3.jpg
porta1412
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 113
Joined: 05 Nov 2024, 21:36

Re: Help Translating Back of Photo

Post by porta1412 »

Also does anyone know of a site or facebook group etc that i could post his unit photo up on, maybe someone will notice a family member in the photo.
Post Reply