Help Translating Back of Photo
Re: Help Translating Back of Photo
Try this one:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/789263012846664
https://www.facebook.com/groups/789263012846664
Re: Help Translating Back of Photo
The photo is likely to be a picture of the handover of the unlimited leave card by the company captain on 19 September 1947.porta1412 wrote: 24 Jun 2025, 00:59 ...
Here are some more photos i found of him in the military. ... he is recieved something from an officer.
...
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Help Translating Back of Photo
Perfect thanks so much
Re: Help Translating Back of Photo
Excellent thanks for the information. You have been an amazing help.mmogno wrote: 24 Jun 2025, 02:04The photo is likely to be a picture of the handover of the unlimited leave card by the company captain on 19 September 1947.porta1412 wrote: 24 Jun 2025, 00:59 ...
Here are some more photos i found of him in the military. ... he is recieved something from an officer.
...
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Help Translating Back of Photo
Hi Joeporta1412 wrote: 23 Jun 2025, 12:37AngelaGrace56 wrote: 23 Jun 2025, 01:38 .......
Re the Foglio di Matricolare, you will need to write to the State Archives in Messina for this. I think you have the address already. (as-me@cultura.gov.it)
....
Best to you with this.
Angela
Hi Angela
Thanks so much for the help. Here is the document they sent back to me about his military record. Should I be asking for other military records as well as the folio or is this all that there would be?
.......
Thanks
Joe
You must write a fantastic letter!!! I was so pleased to read earlier today that you had already received Sebastiano's military record from the State Archives of Messina, and that mmogno
Sad he died so young.
Angela
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Help Translating Back of Photo
You could try the following group as well:porta1412 wrote: 24 Jun 2025, 01:10 Also does anyone know of a site or facebook group etc that i could post his unit photo up on, maybe someone will notice a family member in the photo.
archivio fotografico degli antenati: https://www.facebook.com/groups/326364802974382
Angela
Re: Help Translating Back of Photo
Thanks Angela, yes it was a shame he passed young. It’s interesting because I asked a cousin if when Sebastiano came to Australia he was sick and he said he was fine and only developed the cancer in around 1950. So not sure what’s going on. I might try email the hospital in Italy to see if they have any records of his admission.AngelaGrace56 wrote: 24 Jun 2025, 05:16Hi Joeporta1412 wrote: 23 Jun 2025, 12:37AngelaGrace56 wrote: 23 Jun 2025, 01:38 .......
Re the Foglio di Matricolare, you will need to write to the State Archives in Messina for this. I think you have the address already. (as-me@cultura.gov.it)
....
Best to you with this.
Angela
Hi Angela
Thanks so much for the help. Here is the document they sent back to me about his military record. Should I be asking for other military records as well as the folio or is this all that there would be?
.......
Thanks
Joe
You must write a fantastic letter!!! I was so pleased to read earlier today that you had already received Sebastiano's military record from the State Archives of Messina, and that mmognohad so brilliantly translated it for you. I had to rush out early today and didn't have time to add to this thread. The only thing that I was going to suggest is that you might want to learn what type of illness he had and now that I've read through all the posts it seems that you already knew this, so I think that mystery has basically been solved.
Sad he died so young.
Angela
Thanks so much
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Help Translating Back of Photo
Yes, you could try writing to the hospital/s in Italia. He was hospitalised in both the Verona Military Hospital and also the Bolzano Military Hospital.porta1412 wrote: 24 Jun 2025, 06:33
Thanks Angela, yes it was a shame he passed young. It’s interesting because I asked a cousin if when Sebastiano came to Australia he was sick and he said he was fine and only developed the cancer in around 1950. So not sure what’s going on. I might try email the hospital in Italy to see if they have any records of his admission.
Thanks so much
It seems like he was sick for several months – (intermittently?) almost a year? My thinking is you could also send another email to the State Archives in Messina, thank them for the military record you have received and ask them if there were any additional documents like medical records filed with his military record. I remember that with Salvatore L’s military records that you received additional documents. It’s interesting because looking at his lovely photo in the snow outside the hospital, he looks so much healthier than he does in his 1949 passport photo.
Angela
Re: Help Translating Back of Photo
I think the second photo was taken at the Montorio Veronese training centre.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Help Translating Back of Photo
Yes he did not look well in his passport photo. I have emailed both the hospital and the state archives again so fingers crossed they can let me know.AngelaGrace56 wrote: 24 Jun 2025, 10:05Yes, you could try writing to the hospital/s in Italia. He was hospitalised in both the Verona Military Hospital and also the Bolzano Military Hospital.porta1412 wrote: 24 Jun 2025, 06:33
Thanks Angela, yes it was a shame he passed young. It’s interesting because I asked a cousin if when Sebastiano came to Australia he was sick and he said he was fine and only developed the cancer in around 1950. So not sure what’s going on. I might try email the hospital in Italy to see if they have any records of his admission.
Thanks so much
It seems like he was sick for several months – (intermittently?) almost a year? My thinking is you could also send another email to the State Archives in Messina, thank them for the military record you have received and ask them if there were any additional documents like medical records filed with his military record. I remember that with Salvatore L’s military records that you received additional documents. It’s interesting because looking at his lovely photo in the snow outside the hospital, he looks so much healthier than he does in his 1949 passport photo.
Angela
I also used that NAA site to research him and found a large folio on his immigration into Australia. It also had documents on Australia trying to deport him back to Italy. There were letter between the Hospital and Immigration saying they wanted to deport him asap even though he was sick and dying with leukemia. I wonder why they were so desperate to send him back? Again all very interesting.
Re: Help Translating Back of Photo
Yes it certainly looks that way, thanks so much.mmogno wrote: 24 Jun 2025, 12:12 I think the second photo was taken at the Montorio Veronese training centre.
01. La nuova palazzina.jpg
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Help Translating Back of Photo
porta1412 wrote: 24 Jun 2025, 06:33
Yes he did not look well in his passport photo. I have emailed both the hospital and the state archives again so fingers crossed they can let me know.
I also used that NAA site to research him and found a large folio on his immigration into Australia. It also had documents on Australia trying to deport him back to Italy. There were letter between the Hospital and Immigration saying they wanted to deport him asap even though he was sick and dying with leukemia. I wonder why they were so desperate to send him back? Again all very interesting.
Interesting about the passport photo - he really does look unwell to me in that photo. Although, then I wondered whether it was just because he wasn't smiling, so I looked for a relative's passport photo who, coincidentally, had also travelled from Italia to Australia in 1949. He arrived in June and was a few years older than Sebastiano, and had both served and been a POW during WWII. I compared the photos and my relative (also not smiling of course) looks years younger and so vibrant in comparison to Sebastiano. Maybe Sebastiano had leukemia before he left Italia and it either wasn't diagnosed as such or he had received treatment and was in remission. Anyways, I hope that you hear back from the hospitals and the State Archives in Messina and that they are able to fill in some more gaps. Not sure what Immigration were thinking, wanting to deport such an unwell man. Such callous thinking. I'm glad they didn't do it.
Angela
Re: Help Translating Back of Photo
Yes sure was. Maybe he just did not let the cousins know he was sick until it was already too late but you’re right he certainly does not look well. Fingers crossed they get back to me with the details. Immigration asked the hospital if they could send a doctor on the boat back with him, but they said he was too sick to move, passing a few months later. These letters went on for almost a year between the hospital and immigration to get him deported while he was alive. All the other folios have been restricted by ASIO so I cannot find out why they were so desperate to send him back. I will keep you posted on this mysteryAngelaGrace56 wrote: 25 Jun 2025, 05:52porta1412 wrote: 24 Jun 2025, 06:33
Yes he did not look well in his passport photo. I have emailed both the hospital and the state archives again so fingers crossed they can let me know.
I also used that NAA site to research him and found a large folio on his immigration into Australia. It also had documents on Australia trying to deport him back to Italy. There were letter between the Hospital and Immigration saying they wanted to deport him asap even though he was sick and dying with leukemia. I wonder why they were so desperate to send him back? Again all very interesting.
Interesting about the passport photo - he really does look unwell to me in that photo. Although, then I wondered whether it was just because he wasn't smiling, so I looked for a relative's passport photo who, coincidentally, had also travelled from Italia to Australia in 1949. He arrived in June and was a few years older than Sebastiano, and had both served and been a POW during WWII. I compared the photos and my relative (also not smiling of course) looks years younger and so vibrant in comparison to Sebastiano. Maybe Sebastiano had leukemia before he left Italia and it either wasn't diagnosed as such or he had received treatment and was in remission. Anyways, I hope that you hear back from the hospitals and the State Archives in Messina and that they are able to fill in some more gaps. Not sure what Immigration were thinking, wanting to deport such an unwell man. Such callous thinking. I'm glad they didn't do it.
Angela
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Help Translating Back of Photo
porta1412 wrote: 25 Jun 2025, 07:09
Yes sure was. Maybe he just did not let the cousins know he was sick until it was already too late but you’re right he certainly does not look well. Fingers crossed they get back to me with the details. Immigration asked the hospital if they could send a doctor on the boat back with him, but they said he was too sick to move, passing a few months later. These letters went on for almost a year between the hospital and immigration to get him deported while he was alive. All the other folios have been restricted by ASIO so I cannot find out why they were so desperate to send him back. I will keep you posted on this mystery![]()
Yes, please do keep me posted. It must have been incredibly stressful for him and the family. They really didn't need anything extra put on them at that time.
Just a thought. During that timeframe there should have been "calling papers"/ "sponsorship papers". I'm guessing his uncle must have sponsored him out from Italia. Maybe that procedure wasn't followed and that may have been a reason for deportation. Did you notice any calling papers? They were called either Atto di Richiamo or sometimes Atto di Chiamata. Are you able to send me a link to the documents you found. I've searched and I don't see the documents you have located there. Thank you.
Angela
Re: Help Translating Back of Photo
Hi AngelaAngelaGrace56 wrote: 25 Jun 2025, 07:54porta1412 wrote: 25 Jun 2025, 07:09
Yes sure was. Maybe he just did not let the cousins know he was sick until it was already too late but you’re right he certainly does not look well. Fingers crossed they get back to me with the details. Immigration asked the hospital if they could send a doctor on the boat back with him, but they said he was too sick to move, passing a few months later. These letters went on for almost a year between the hospital and immigration to get him deported while he was alive. All the other folios have been restricted by ASIO so I cannot find out why they were so desperate to send him back. I will keep you posted on this mystery![]()
Yes, please do keep me posted. It must have been incredibly stressful for him and the family. They really didn't need anything extra put on them at that time.
Just a thought. During that timeframe there should have been "calling papers"/ "sponsorship papers". I'm guessing his uncle must have sponsored him out from Italia. Maybe that procedure wasn't followed and that may have been a reason for deportation. Did you notice any calling papers? They were called either Atto di Richiamo or sometimes Atto di Chiamata. Are you able to send me a link to the documents you found. I've searched and I don't see the documents you have located there. Thank you.
Angela
Here is the link to the document I found. They had his last name as Morelli instead of Morello. When his half brother (Leo Morello) came to Australia they spelt his name wrong so it was changed to Morelli. Sebastianos half brother sponsored him to come to Australia. You can see on the very first page of the document there are many folios which are all restricted.
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchN ... ?B=3318445
Also Tindaro is Sebastianos full brother who came to Australia also just before Sebastiano did.
Thanks Angela for your help.
