AngelaGrace56 wrote: 26 Jun 2025, 07:40
I've just been reading through the documents. It is such a sad story. I wonder if things would've been different for Sebastiano if he had stayed in Italia.
My understanding is that the reason that was given for wanting to deport Sebastiano was because of his failure with regard to Section 8A(1)(C) of the Australian Immigration Act. Is that what you understand?
I noticed that there was a stipulation included on the Landing Permit Cards (July 1948) for both Tindaro and Sebastiano to be employed as labourers for two years. Both brothers later each requested a Certificate of Exemption from the provisions of the Immigration Act 1901-1940 for a period of two years, which was issued in their favour. The exemptions were granted for two years in 1949. I didn’t see any further requests for exemptions amongst those documents. The next letter is August 1953 re Sebastiano’s admission to hospital. Initially I thought that maybe Sebastiano was considered an overstayer which would’ve been grounds for deportation but that doesn't seem to be the case... I think I've ended up with more questions than answers....
Best to you.
Angela
Hi Angela, you came to the same conclusions I came to. A very interesting case indeed. Tindaro was not naturalised until 30th July 1954 which was after the two year period, and I’m yet to find any extension documents so if Sebastiano was to be deported due to overstaying then Tindaro would of also been in that category.
I did not see that part about Section 8A(1)(C) of the Australian Immigration Act but found online that this allowed for the deportation of immigrants who, within five years of entering Australia, became inmates of a mental hospital or public charitable institution. As far as I have found he was not in a mental hospital but maybe due to his sickness which it seems he had in Italy, he went to a Public Charitable Institution for help and this was grounds for deportation?
To me this is possible because at the time his brother Leo was going through having facial cancer passing in 1958 and was unable to run his farm losing it to the bank, having 7 young children money was probably very tight and Sebastiano was living with them also, and with him being sick maybe he went to a charitable place for help.
Again more questions than answers. The military got back to me and said there were no accompanying medical documents with his records so fingers crossed the hospital will release some details.
You are right, it certainly is a sad story.
Thanks so much for all your help with this one, I would have missed that important detail if you didn’t look also. Much appreciated.
Joe