Francesco Gitto B.1834 Messina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
messina.roots
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 27 Jun 2025, 01:57

Francesco Gitto B.1834 Messina

Post by messina.roots »

Hello all!

I am looking for parents/sibling information for Francesco Gitto b.1834 in Messina. Died in 1925 in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.

I have some information that suggested his father may have been Luigi Gitto (Unknown Birth year) and possibly a mother first name Venera presumably from Messina.

I am hopeful someone that is better versed in Italian genealogy can help me with finding any information or point me in the right direction.

I am attaching a screenshot of Francesco's spouse and children if it helps.

I appreciate any help!
Francesco Gitto Family.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Farassino
Master
Master
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 May 2024, 17:05

Re: Francesco Gitto B.1834 Messina

Post by Farassino »

Hello,

Have you already searched in these 1834 Messina birth records?
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/search- ... _ss%3ANati
messina.roots
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 27 Jun 2025, 01:57

Re: Francesco Gitto B.1834 Messina

Post by messina.roots »

Thank you for the link - yes, I went through every registry from 1830-1840 and had no luck. I even checked these ones again, just to be sure.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Francesco Gitto B.1834 Messina

Post by Tessa78 »

The surname Gitto is concentrated mostly in the town of Milazzo, Messina Province.
I checked the births in 1833, 1834, and 1835 and found only one Francesco. However, the parents are Francesco Gitto and Vincenza Italiano
#227
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 32/5dpnqd3

Do you know where Francesco Gitto and Vincenza Marsensor Bellatoni were married? Or the year?

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Francesco Gitto B.1834 Messina

Post by Tessa78 »

Or where their children were born?

Here are the top five towns in Messina Province where the Gitto surname is found...
Gitto 406.89 Milazzo Messina
Gitto 146.12 Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto Messina
Gitto 85.00 Santa Lucia del Mela Messina
Gitto 53.96 San Filippo del Mela Messina
Gitto 47.04 Messina Messina

T.
Farassino
Master
Master
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 May 2024, 17:05

Re: Francesco Gitto B.1834 Messina

Post by Farassino »

This should be the family tree with some double entries.
https://www.familysearch.org/en/tree/pe ... s/L7ZQ-WC7

There appears to be a gap of almost 7 years between the birth of the first and the second daughter.
messina.roots
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 27 Jun 2025, 01:57

Re: Francesco Gitto B.1834 Messina

Post by messina.roots »

Unfortunately I don't know where or when Franceso Gitto and Vincenza Bellantoni were married.

Their first child, Venera Giovanna Gitto, was born in Italy. But the next seven children were born in Boston, Massachusetts.
Her birth and baptism record can be found here:
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 95/LN8E24y

Looks like maybe she was born in San Saverio???

I looked through the Family Search tree - some of the info is correct, but some is not. I suspect Vincenza may not have arrived in America at the same time as Francesco, and that may be the cause for the gap between the first and second child.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Francesco Gitto B.1834 Messina

Post by Tessa78 »

Born at home in the village of San Francesco
Baptized in the parish of San Leonardo

About the village of San Francesco in the municipality of Messina.
https://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/sicil ... cesco.html

T.
Post Reply