deciphering a surname

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
User avatar
warriorrabbit
Elite
Elite
Posts: 284
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 18:05
Location: San Diego

deciphering a surname

Post by warriorrabbit »

Here is the birth and marriage record (I think I missed finding this birth record the first couple trawls through the records, because she suddenly became Pietra Nunzia and I was just looking for Nunzia).

I just cannot discern the mother's surname... Giovanna Gio... Giordino? I don't know.

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 85/LqxxJ3M marriage
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 75/w922QN6 birth

Also, sorry, what's right before Ignazio's name on both records...?
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: deciphering a surname

Post by Tessa78 »

The surname is Giaimo... Found in Patti.
The second "i" is a long i..

The abbreviation for "maestro". preceeds Ignazio's name
He is a master cook.

T.
User avatar
warriorrabbit
Elite
Elite
Posts: 284
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 18:05
Location: San Diego

Re: deciphering a surname

Post by warriorrabbit »

That little tail hanging down really threw me, I'd never have guessed an m. I was, like, Giugno? Giopino? So many guesses, all wrong.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: deciphering a surname

Post by Tessa78 »

The letter ⟨j⟩ (I lunga, "long I", or gei) is not considered part of the standard Italian alphabet; however, it is used in some Latin words, in proper nouns (such as Jesi, Letojanni, Juventus, etc.), in words borrowed from foreign languages (most common: jeans, but also jazz, jet, jeep, banjo),[13] and in an archaic spelling of Italian.

Until the 19th century, ⟨j⟩ was used in Italian instead of ⟨i⟩ in word-initial rising diphthongs, as a replacement for final -⟨ii⟩, and between vowels (as in Savoja); this rule was quite strict in official writing.
T.
Post Reply