Female landowner and merchant

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite
Posts: 441
Joined: 01 Jun 2014, 18:11
Location: Peninsula, San Francisco Bay Area

Female landowner and merchant

Post by mjclayton1 »

Hello, Forum-

Not sure if I'm misinterpreting this record or what, but I THINK it shows a female as being a landowner (possidente) and also a merchant (negoziante). Or am I wrong? If not, isn't this quite unusual? Not sure I've ever come across that circumstance before (sad commentary for the time that it is)...

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 92/LemXezV

I think the Attestazione shows this:

On 25 Jan 1862, comune of Gallicano, District of Garfagnana, Province of Massa, communicated by...?... appeared Leandro PUCCETTI, age 24, born in Gallicano, merchant, son of Gio Battista and deceased Faustino... and of Mari Angela of Matteo (Macchi?) AND Maria Ancilla Beninga SAISI, landowner, age 29, born in Gallicano, merchant, daughter of Giovanni of deceased Lorenzo... and of Elisabetta of Pelegrino Bertoli, all of Galllicano...

Am I missing anything else of relevance?

Thanks in advance...

Mark
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Female landowner and merchant

Post by darkerhorse »

I have a female landowner/proprietor in my family tree in 1800s Sicily. Her father was a prominent landowner/proprietor in town.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Female landowner and merchant

Post by darkerhorse »

I've also seen widowed landowners in the Riveli back to the late 1500s/early 1600s.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Female landowner and merchant

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mjclayton1 wrote: 22 Jul 2025, 06:13 Hello, Forum-

Not sure if I'm misinterpreting this record or what, but I THINK it shows a female as being a landowner (possidente) and also a merchant (negoziante). Or am I wrong? If not, isn't this quite unusual? Not sure I've ever come across that circumstance before (sad commentary for the time that it is)...

Yes, you are correct. The bride has been listed as both a landowner and then as a merchant. Hopefully the births of any future children which will have her occupation will help to clarify.

I've had a quick look at your translation and made some corrections. The script sure is something. You've done really well with it.


https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 92/LemXezV

I think the Attestazione shows this:

Groom: Aleandro PUCCETTI, landowner age 24, born in Gallicano, merchant, son of Gio Battista (son of) deceased Faustino... and of Mari Angela of Matteo Rocchi, the son of Fiattone?

Bride: Maria Ancilla Beninga SAISI, landowner, age 29, born in Gallicano, merchant, daughter of Giovanni of deceased Lorenzo (Saisi) and of Elisabetta daughter of Pelegrino Bertoli, all of Gallicano...

Am I missing anything else of relevance?

Thanks in advance...

Mark

Here the Allegati: https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 50/LpoldQZ
It only includes the baptismal records of bride and groom with hopefully the correct spelling of names.

Edit to Add: I just went back and had a reread and noticed that the groom also has the occupations of landowner and merchant recorded.

Angela
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite
Posts: 441
Joined: 01 Jun 2014, 18:11
Location: Peninsula, San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Female landowner and merchant

Post by mjclayton1 »

Hi,Angela! Thanks for this. Much appreciated. :D

Mark
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Female landowner and merchant

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Glad I could help, Mark. :D

Angela
Post Reply