We ruled out this manifest?
- Bisenti too far away? (50 mi on mapquest to Serramonacesca)
- Already married?
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0001
SS Scotia, 21 Sep 1901, Naples to NY, line 1
Giovanni Di Clemente
19 yrs old (1882), single
read/write: no
last residence Bisenti,
going to Phila, PA
joining friend Profeta? De Santo? 822 8th St
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bisenti - comune: Bisenti - province: Teramo - region: Abruzzo
Serramonacesca - comune: Serramonacesca - province: Pescara - region: Abruzzo
Casalincontrada - comune: Casalincontrada - province: Chieti - region: Abruzzo
DiClemente (Serramonacesca), Marchegiano (Casalincontrada)
Re: DiClemente (Serramonacesca), Marchegiano (Casalincontrad
Would Rose have had any reason to travel to the USA in 1902?
Is the name Pasquale? DiBerardino? a relative...
Was Raffaele, her brother, in PA in 1902?
Maria
Is the name Pasquale? DiBerardino? a relative...
Was Raffaele, her brother, in PA in 1902?
Maria
Re: DiClemente (Serramonacesca), Marchegiano (Casalincontrad
I have seen that one .... I guess I haven't ruled it out or in because I can't find a definite connection, but neither do I see anything to disprove it. Bisenti is pretty far, especially in those days, but then there seem to be DiClementes from Aquila, Teramo, Chieti, Pescara and points in between, and the age is close. It seems from the Ellis Island records that there are quite a few from Roccamorice and Praetola Peligna (spelling)? But there don't seem to be any others in Serramonacesca, at least that I have seen.
Re: DiClemente (Serramonacesca), Marchegiano (Casalincontrad
Maria ...
Would Rose have had any reason to travel to the USA in 1902?
I don't know. She would have only been 16 or 17. Could she have been here with her first husband and been "sent back" to Italy? In the 1920 New Jersey census for Camden NJ (under "John and Rose Clements") it says that her oldest two children, Jeanette and Casper, were born in PA and that Nicholas(1908) was born in NJ! However, when she arrived with them at Ellis Island in 1911, she supposedly had never been in America before. Something does not jibe there. I have assumed the census record was inaccurate, but maybe not
Is the name Pasquale? DiBerardino? a relative... don't know. However, I believe she had a husband before Giovanni and I have heard family "whispers" about the name "DiPasquale". Maybe somebody had a bit of the truth but it got twisted over the years?
Was Raffaele, her brother, in PA in 1902?
Very likely. I know her other brother Donato definitely came over from Casalicontrada in 1902. Ralph's oldest son "Roxey" (Rocco) was born in italy in 1900-01, but Ralph's later children were born in America, so that would have hom coming to America in the 1901-03 timeframe. He was living in NJ by 1910.
Maria
Would Rose have had any reason to travel to the USA in 1902?
I don't know. She would have only been 16 or 17. Could she have been here with her first husband and been "sent back" to Italy? In the 1920 New Jersey census for Camden NJ (under "John and Rose Clements") it says that her oldest two children, Jeanette and Casper, were born in PA and that Nicholas(1908) was born in NJ! However, when she arrived with them at Ellis Island in 1911, she supposedly had never been in America before. Something does not jibe there. I have assumed the census record was inaccurate, but maybe not
Is the name Pasquale? DiBerardino? a relative... don't know. However, I believe she had a husband before Giovanni and I have heard family "whispers" about the name "DiPasquale". Maybe somebody had a bit of the truth but it got twisted over the years?
Was Raffaele, her brother, in PA in 1902?
Very likely. I know her other brother Donato definitely came over from Casalicontrada in 1902. Ralph's oldest son "Roxey" (Rocco) was born in italy in 1900-01, but Ralph's later children were born in America, so that would have hom coming to America in the 1901-03 timeframe. He was living in NJ by 1910.
Maria
Re: DiClemente (Serramonacesca), Marchegiano (Casalincontrad
Reason why I asked...
Last Name: Maichegiano
Ethnicity: Italy, South Italian
Last Place of Residence: Casalincentrado
Date of Arrival: Nov 14, 1902
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Trojan Prince
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0010
Ship Record
WARNING... don't scream when you see the manifest... it's a real mess...
Looks like she is travelling alone... off join her brother Raffaelo, and the name next to his... looks like "Pasqual DiBerardino??
Does the address look familiar to you?
Maria
Last Name: Maichegiano
Ethnicity: Italy, South Italian
Last Place of Residence: Casalincentrado
Date of Arrival: Nov 14, 1902
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Trojan Prince
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0010
Ship Record
WARNING... don't scream when you see the manifest... it's a real mess...
Looks like she is travelling alone... off join her brother Raffaelo, and the name next to his... looks like "Pasqual DiBerardino??
Does the address look familiar to you?
Maria
Re: DiClemente (Serramonacesca), Marchegiano (Casalincontrad
You can read that? You're good..To tell you the thruth I see Alfonso in the name..but I also see the going to see BIL Raffaele....mfjp wrote:Reason why I asked...
Last Name: Maichegiano
Ethnicity: Italy, South Italian
Last Place of Residence: Casalincentrado
Date of Arrival: Nov 14, 1902
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Trojan Prince
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0010
Ship Record
WARNING... don't scream when you see the manifest... it's a real mess...
Looks like she is travelling alone... off join her brother Raffaelo, and the name next to his... looks like "Pasqual DiBerardino??
Does the address look familiar to you?
Maria
I checked the text version manifest and it seems to confirm this...
nuccia
Re: DiClemente (Serramonacesca), Marchegiano (Casalincontrad
WOW ... this is definitely her and I don't think she is travelling alone! The key name to me is the one below on the Ellis Island manifest -- Alfonso DiPasquale from Casalincontrada (see my earlier post that her first husband may have been named DiPasquale! The address may be 821 Christian St., which was used by other immigrants at the time (possibly a bank or social club or something?). The DiBerardino name is not familiar to me. A relative of DiPasquale's, living with Raffale Marchegiano.
Thank you! This is a very good piece for me on the US side!
Thank you! This is a very good piece for me on the US side!
Re: DiClemente (Serramonacesca), Marchegiano (Casalincontrad
Cool!
So this is good news...
The manifest was in awful condition... but luckily we have a few good eyes here... glad you both noticed Alfonso there...
The manifest record keeper gave Alfonso a separate # (on the left side of his name... ) meaning a different group or family... She was part of group 299... and he 300....
Though they travelled together.. you really wouldn't have known what their relationship was...
Plus ... he was a little older than she... he's listed as married... she as single...
As transcribed... Ellis text is shown as....
Nuccia, in box 16, I do see the words "to my brother Raffaele..".. the name next to his is what was giving me trouble...
Maria
So this is good news...
The manifest was in awful condition... but luckily we have a few good eyes here... glad you both noticed Alfonso there...
The manifest record keeper gave Alfonso a separate # (on the left side of his name... ) meaning a different group or family... She was part of group 299... and he 300....
Though they travelled together.. you really wouldn't have known what their relationship was...
Plus ... he was a little older than she... he's listed as married... she as single...
As transcribed... Ellis text is shown as....
0010. Maichegiano, Rosa F 18y S Italy, South Italian Casalincentrado
0011. Di Pasquale, Alfonso M 30y M Italy, South Italian Casalincentrado
I too asked this question awhile back... and I was also told it was a "social club" (maybe not in those words) that helped Italian immigrants out...The address may be 821 Christian St., which was used by other immigrants at the time (possibly a bank or social club or something?)
Nuccia, in box 16, I do see the words "to my brother Raffaele..".. the name next to his is what was giving me trouble...
Maria
Re: DiClemente (Serramonacesca), Marchegiano (Casalincontrad
Not 100% sure of this, but I believe the 821 Christian St. address would be part of what later became Palumbo's restaurant and night club, one of the centers of Italian life in Philadelphia. I believe it spanned the entire block between 8th and 9th and Christian and Catherine Sts, and burned down in (I believe) the 80s or 90s, The Palumbo family were famous for helping new immigrants to Philly (have been newspaper stories about people coming Ellis Island with Palumbo's name and address pinned to their clothes. Perhaps their was a boarding house on the site?


