Need Help Transcribing and Translating a Birth Record
Need Help Transcribing and Translating a Birth Record
Hi - I have tried google translate and chatgpt and my minimal Italian and have gotten a different result each time. Can anyone translate this birth certificate to English for me? It's for a man who became known as Filippo Ronchelli when he came to the United States, but his birth certificate appears to say Roncacci (?) and his (not shown) marriage certificate says Roncani. I believe it says, in part, that Ferdinando Bondi appeared before the official and said the child was his daughter's but with an unknown father. I am hoping the Atti Di Nascita might have some clues that would help me understand why Filippo was given the surname Roncani. Any help is appreciated.
- Attachments
-
FilippoRoncaniBIRTH1876CasolaInLunagianaCivilPg1649of6176.pdf- (1.54 MiB) Downloaded 116 times
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Need Help Transcribing and Translating a Birth Record
Hello and welcome to the forum!!! Sorry for the delay in reply. I'd not seen this post before today, so I'm thinking that because it was a first post, it has taken some time for it to be cleared. Anyways, I've attempted to translate this for you but am struggling with the script. I've located the original record for you which is quite faint so not terribly helpful. I believe that the surname given to Filippo was Roncacci. Anyways, someone else will take a look to verify. Here's what I see:
1876 Birth No 14: Filippo Roncacci
Registered: Casola in Lunigiana, 27 February 1876
Appearing was Ferdinando Bond(i), 55 yo, colono, living in Rensa? He reported that at 9.20 am on 27 February 1876 in the house in via Montanara, No 5, from his daughter, Maria and from an unknown father, was born a baby of male sex, who he presented to the official, and who was given the name of Filippo and the surname Roncacci.
Then I’m understanding, but I can’t clearly read all the script, that the baby was sent by the Official via Ferdinando to the Ospica in ? with a copy of the Act?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 48&lang=en
Hopefully someone else can take a look and be able to tweak where needed, and fill in some more gaps for you. Otherwise I’ll come back to it with fresh eyes later.
Angela
1876 Birth No 14: Filippo Roncacci
Registered: Casola in Lunigiana, 27 February 1876
Appearing was Ferdinando Bond(i), 55 yo, colono, living in Rensa? He reported that at 9.20 am on 27 February 1876 in the house in via Montanara, No 5, from his daughter, Maria and from an unknown father, was born a baby of male sex, who he presented to the official, and who was given the name of Filippo and the surname Roncacci.
Then I’m understanding, but I can’t clearly read all the script, that the baby was sent by the Official via Ferdinando to the Ospica in ? with a copy of the Act?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 48&lang=en
Hopefully someone else can take a look and be able to tweak where needed, and fill in some more gaps for you. Otherwise I’ll come back to it with fresh eyes later.
Angela
Re: Need Help Transcribing and Translating a Birth Record
Hello Angela!
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 14 Oct 2025, 21:37
Appearing was Ferdinando Bond(i), 55 yo, colono, living in Reusa He reported that at 9.20 am on 27 February 1876 in the house in via Montanara, No 5, from his daughter, Maria and from an unknown father, was born a baby of male sex, who he presented to the official, and who was given the name of Filippo and the surname Roncacci.
Then I’m understanding, but I can’t clearly read all the script, that the baby was sent by the Official via Ferdinando to the Ospizio di Fivizzano with a copy of the Act?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Need Help Transcribing and Translating a Birth Record
Hello PippoPippoM wrote: 15 Oct 2025, 09:57 Hello Angela!AngelaGrace56 wrote: 14 Oct 2025, 21:37
Appearing was Ferdinando Bond(i), 55 yo, colono, living in Reusa He reported that at 9.20 am on 27 February 1876 in the house in via Montanara, No 5, from his daughter, Maria and from an unknown father, was born a baby of male sex, who he presented to the official, and who was given the name of Filippo and the surname Roncacci.
Then I’m understanding, but I can’t clearly read all the script, that the baby was sent by the Official via Ferdinando to the Ospizio di Fivizzano with a copy of the Act?
Thank you for the corrections. I appreciate it.
Angela
