Please Translate Thi 1756 Census doc

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
happyjax
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 21 Jan 2020, 14:41

Please Translate Thi 1756 Census doc

Post by happyjax »

Hi, I would appreciate it if someone would translate this 1756 Census, from Petralia Sottana for me. believe Rosa the daughter is 2 years of age. Thanking you in advance, Jack Cipriano
Attachments
1756 Census..Ignazio Cipriano.png
1756 Census..Ignazio Cipriano.png
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Please Translate Thi 1756 Census doc

Post by PippoM »

I don't read anything about a daughter, and I see the two documents you posted are identical. May be something is missing?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Please Translate Thi 1756 Census doc

Post by darkerhorse »

I think he's referring to the unnamed female listed below at age 1 or 2.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Please Translate Thi 1756 Census doc

Post by darkerhorse »

The declarant to be Anna Rosa Cipriano. I don't see Petralia Sottana.
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Please Translate Thi 1756 Census doc

Post by erudita74 »

darkerhorse wrote: 31 Oct 2025, 18:55 I don't see Petralia Sottana.
It’s abbreviated on the third line after the word “di.”
happyjax
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 21 Jan 2020, 14:41

Re: Please Translate Thi 1756 Census doc

Post by happyjax »

Hi, Let me say thank you to those that responded. Pls let me clear things up a bit and then hope someone will respond.
1. This document was copied from the Petralia Sottana census records, plus as already noted, Petralia Sottana is also listed by the Mayors name (Gaspare).
2. I still feel that Anna Rosa is the 2 year old child.
3. Who is this Gaetano di Maria??? Listed in the lower section of the doc.
4. It appears that at this point in time the recorder used an awful lot of shorthand, curly lettering. Hard to follow.
5. Oh, the 2 copies, I couldn't figure out how to delete the 2nd copy...
6. I think that Antonia is Gaetano's spouse, upper portion of the doc - squeezed out.

Thak you again for your insight and help, Jack
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Please Translate Thi 1756 Census doc

Post by darkerhorse »

It might be that Antonia is the mother of Anna and husband of Ignazio, and Gaetano is the official who recorded the document.
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Please Translate Thi 1756 Census doc

Post by erudita74 »

The beginning is as follows:

I reveal that Anna Rosa Cipriano, daughter of the deceased Maestro* (title) Ignazio and deceased Antonia….of this land of Petralia Sottana …

Also this record is from 1756, more than 100 years before the unification of Italy. Land which was probably under feudal lords, etc, with different forms of local administration. So Don Gaspare was not a mayor. I think he was a high ranking nobleman,“master Count,” who had a governing position.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Please Translate Thi 1756 Census doc

Post by PippoM »

I'm not an expert of this kind of records, but, before "Femina" (singular), I read "Ristretto", that makes me think of a sort of summary. Moreover, before "2" (but it might even be "1"), I read "n", that might stand for "numero". So, that MIGHT just be a count of the females in the household"
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: Please Translate Thi 1756 Census doc

Post by erudita74 »

One thing I forgot to add earlier in relation to the names of Anna Rosa’s deceased parents. We don’t have their surname in the record, and it is my understanding that women in these Riveli were listed under their married surnames and not under what we in the U.S. would refer to as their maiden names. So the married surname of Ignazio and Antonia would not be Cipriano, as the surname of their daughter Anna Rosa. So, if church records for Petralia Sottana were ever available online, it could be difficult to trace this family through that means.

I’m also inclined to agree with what Pippo added above a short while ago. I had seen the word Ristretto which I’ve read means limited or restricted, but I like Pippo’s use of the word “summary” better and his explanation of the info under that category.

As to Don Gaetano di Maria, I think he may have been a deputazione, or representative of the people living in this particular area of the feudal holding, who themselves did not know how to write, and to whom people like Anna Rosa Cipriano revealed the info concerning herself and her family for this census. My best guess.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Please Translate Thi 1756 Census doc

Post by darkerhorse »

PippoM wrote: 02 Nov 2025, 11:10 I'm not an expert of this kind of records, but, before "Femina" (singular), I read "Ristretto", that makes me think of a sort of summary. Moreover, before "2" (but it might even be "1"), I read "n", that might stand for "numero". So, that MIGHT just be a count of the females in the household"
Sono d'accordo.
Post Reply