Translation and info for some records please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
lyn1982
Master
Master
Posts: 586
Joined: 01 Jul 2019, 05:05

Translation and info for some records please

Post by lyn1982 »

AngelaGrace already gave some info here on this marriage allegati of Calcedonio Sanfilippo and Francesca Dioguardi I am just looking to know if it mentions any other places than Cerda and Villa Rosa anywhere, and if it mentions any of their grandparents names and if so where they were born.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613


I also managed to find the birth record of Gaspere Militello here (the one who Calogero Sanflippo listed as uncle in his manifest):

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... =en&i=1148

And what looks to be his parents marriage here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613

I tried to find the allegati here, but it skips from number 24 here to number 35 on next page, so I'm not sure if that means the records are missing or what or how to get num 28: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613

I would like to know what parents names are and where they were born at. I'm trying to figure out how Casper Millitelli is Calogero Sanflippo's uncle.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Translation and info for some records please

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

lyn1982 wrote: 18 Nov 2025, 01:18 AngelaGrace already gave some info here on this marriage allegati of Calcedonio Sanfilippo and Francesca Dioguardi I am just looking to know if it mentions any other places than Cerda and Villa Rosa anywhere, and if it mentions any of their grandparents names and if so where they were born.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613


I also managed to find the birth record of Gaspere Militello here (the one who Calogero Sanflippo listed as uncle in his manifest):

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... =en&i=1148

And what looks to be his parents marriage here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613

I tried to find the allegati here, but it skips from number 24 here to number 35 on next page, so I'm not sure if that means the records are missing or what or how to get num 28: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613

I would like to know what parents names are and where they were born at. I'm trying to figure out how Casper Millitelli is Calogero Sanflippo's uncle.
Hi Lyn

With the Allegati, you just have to keep looking through the records as often they are out of order.

They are here:

Allegati – Marriage No 28:
Giuseppe Militello and Genoveffa La Tona (sometimes spelt Latona)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Translation and info for some records please

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 18 Nov 2025, 02:26
lyn1982 wrote: 18 Nov 2025, 01:18 AngelaGrace already gave some info here on this marriage allegati of Calcedonio Sanfilippo and Francesca Dioguardi I am just looking to know if it mentions any other places than Cerda and Villa Rosa anywhere, and if it mentions any of their grandparents names and if so where they were born.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613


I also managed to find the birth record of Gaspere Militello here (the one who Calogero Sanflippo listed as uncle in his manifest):

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... =en&i=1148

And what looks to be his parents marriage here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613

I tried to find the allegati here, but it skips from number 24 here to number 35 on next page, so I'm not sure if that means the records are missing or what or how to get num 28: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613

I would like to know what parents names are and where they were born at. I'm trying to figure out how Casper Millitelli is Calogero Sanflippo's uncle.
Hi Lyn

With the Allegati, you just have to keep looking through the records as often they are out of order.

They are here:

Allegati – Marriage No 28:
Giuseppe Militello and Genoveffa La Tona (sometimes spelt Latona)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613

Angela

Just want to correct Gaspare's mother's name. Now that I take a closer look I believe it is written Genuelfa but I've not seen this name before. Here is her original 1854 birth record: https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 22/Lp1v1EV

She was born in Cerda and her parents were Giuseppa Di Giovanni and Giuseppe La Tona.

Giuseppe Militello, Gaspare's father, was also born in Cerda and his parents were Gaspare Militello and Francesca Rizzo.

Angela
lyn1982
Master
Master
Posts: 586
Joined: 01 Jul 2019, 05:05

Re: Translation and info for some records please

Post by lyn1982 »

Thank you very much!

Not the big break I was hoping for sadly - I guess this persons tree is wrong then: https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/pe ... 3725/facts They had him down as being born in Santa Elisabetta, Agrigento, which would have tied nicely into all those Porto Empedocile matches for me, them being neighboring towns. I think I need to ask some general questions about passenger manifests and how they are organized, etc before proceeding in further research.

Amnd thank you for finding that allegati - I'll keep that in mind for the future!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Translation and info for some records please

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

That's too bad. Honestly, you've really got to do your own research. You can waste a lot of time looking at other people's trees and they can really send you on the wrong journey. There is so much error out there. I know that you have been diligent in doing your own research, and Sicily isn't always the easiest region to research. There are always so many errors in the records.

I haven't really had a chance to take a close look at the allegati that I located on your other thread. Hopefully someone else might. I did look at Calogero Sanfilippo's death record and in response to your question about other places mentioned I can tell you that he was born in Gangi and his father's name was Santo. His mother's name for some reason was left black on the death extract so either the name was unreadable or the people declaring his death didn't know her name.

Angela
lyn1982
Master
Master
Posts: 586
Joined: 01 Jul 2019, 05:05

Re: Translation and info for some records please

Post by lyn1982 »

Thanks for the information. Yeah - I know, I should have known it was too good to be true lol. I never trust no ones trees, but I use it as a basis - too many people just copy though and I later find out its wrong. Its more useful to see when a marriage occurred and than go check myself.

Even ancestrys hints can lead astray - and Its crazy how there's 2 seemingly unrelated men with same name, 1 on boat with my great grandmother headed to Niagara Falls, and other living on her same block her a few years later. The one living on her block is at 1008 Grove Ave - was born in Realmonte which is very close to PE. The surname SanFilippo I have seen in my DNA matches too though its not one of my top 5 for there. I'm surprised the 2 don't relate - or if they do is 2nd cousins or more distant. I'll have to do the tree more for the other but I doubt they relate its just seeming like an astronomical circumstance.
Post Reply