Understanding a portion of a death certificate

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
TracingBranches
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 27 Oct 2025, 00:17

Understanding a portion of a death certificate

Post by TracingBranches »

I am looking at a relative's death certificate from 1893. I see two names written in the top left. I see one of the same names below this record. I'm not sure of the word in between the names or why it is written this way. Bernardo Pilone is my ancestor so I am not sure I understand the other name, nor is it a family name I recognize.

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 70/wEy6naq
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Understanding a portion of a death certificate

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi Sorry for the late reply. Your post has only just appeared on the forum.

The clerk has made errors in both the index and in the body of the birth record and is correcting them. The name should read Bernardo Pilone in both the index and the body of the letter. (In legal documents you’re not suppose to cross errors out.) Here they have underlined the errors and then written the correct name “(said) Bernardo Pilone”

Angela
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Understanding a portion of a death certificate

Post by mmogno »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 05 Jan 2026, 19:30 Hi Sorry for the late reply. Your post has only just appeared on the forum.

The clerk has made errors in both the index and in the body of the birth record and is correcting them. The name should read Bernardo Pilone in both the index and the body of the letter. (In legal documents you’re not suppose to cross errors out.) Here they have underlined the errors and then written the correct name “(said) Bernardo Pilone”

Angela
@AngelaGrace56
Here they have underlined the errors and then written the correct name “dico Bernardo Pilone”
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Understanding a portion of a death certificate

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mmogno wrote: 05 Jan 2026, 23:01
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 05 Jan 2026, 19:30 Hi Sorry for the late reply. Your post has only just appeared on the forum.

The clerk has made errors in both the index and in the body of the birth record and is correcting them. The name should read Bernardo Pilone in both the index and the body of the letter. (In legal documents you’re not suppose to cross errors out.) Here they have underlined the errors and then written the correct name “(said) Bernardo Pilone”

Angela
@AngelaGrace56
Here they have underlined the errors and then written the correct name “dico Bernardo Pilone”

Yes, that is what I understand too. Maybe I haven't explained it so good. I should have written "dico" (I say (not said)) as you have written.

Angela
Post Reply