Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LLLLL wrote: 14 Jan 2026, 03:25
Hoping for some help deciphering the names on this 1748 Riveli page from Comiso, Sicily.
...
Also, under Beni Stab., does it say he possesses the houses of Blasio di Vita and another son Gimbaudo? "... confina con casa di Mastro Blasio di Vita e casa di Filippo Zimbardo(?) ..."
Riveli di beni e anime 1748 Comiso Vol 8 - Antonio Incrimone - page 1
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” Slava Ukraine! תחי ישראל
Ah thanks for clarifying the Beni Stab., that seems right. I wasn't familiar with "conf." for "confina", and misread Filippo as filius.
For the fourth name, my first guess was Mauro but on reflection it really doesn't seem like it - The first letter doesn't look like any other "M"s. One letter looks a lot like a "t". And the flourish tells me this is an abbreviation for a longer name. With perhaps a bit of motivated reasoning, I'm wondering if it could be "Batta", since later records exist of a son named Giombattista, although whether he'd be born by this time is fuzzy. (E.g., see the "B" on "Beni mob.", and the hooked ascender on the "P" in "Paga"). But that seems like a stretch too. Maybe "Barto"[lomeo]? That's not a name I've seen in the family.
Any ideas for the mother's surname in the top-right? Nothing I try turns out to be a real surname.
Compare the first letter of the word after Felicia with the first letter of what looks like the word "Ristretto" at the bottom of the page. If that's her surname the first letter could be an R.
Pippo is usually good at this detective work with Riveli.
(I've read a lot of Stato Civile but I'm not super experienced with Riveli, which seems like next-level difficulty.) My best guess is "R" but could be "B" or "V". And I think after it is "en" - but if the first letter is a "V", is the e just a flourish on it? I can't tell if the end is "ia" or maybe "à". And the middle can be interpreted a dozen different ways.
erudita74 wrote: 14 Jan 2026, 21:49
Filippo’s surname may have been Rimbaudo which is currently Rimmaudo in Comiso.
This is a good strategy to follow. Search surnames in the town. Is it in Ragusa or Siracusa?
Is there a good way to do that other than just combing through the antenati register images? I've done that for a few years in Comiso, Vittoria, and Ragusa and not found anything that looks right; it's a slog.
I was thinking of perusing indexes in Antenati. You also could do exact searches for Comiso and other towns in FamilySearch and Ancestry and look at the surnames in the resulting records or family trees.
You could search the Riveli for Filippo Rimmaudo, Rimbaudo or Zimbardo to see if there is a house adjacent to those of Blasio di Vita or Antonio Incrimone among their real estate assets.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” Slava Ukraine! תחי ישראל