Grandfather: John (Giovanni?) Harps (Alps/Arpe/Harpe) born 1832 Stata Janova, Italy)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
Victoria_Duval
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 19 Feb 2026, 17:58

Grandfather: John (Giovanni?) Harps (Alps/Arpe/Harpe) born 1832 Stata Janova, Italy)

Post by Victoria_Duval »

I am looking for any info on my GGGGGrandfather who was born in Italy in 1832. I have no records of parents. His headstone reads born 1832 in Stata Janova (Genova Genoa?) Italy. He died in St. Andrews West (Cornwall, Ontario, Canada) in 1900. He married Mary Sylvester. It is possible he came through the port city of Trois-Rivieres, Quebec Canada as that is where she is from. I am at a loss. I remember as a young girl hearing the mention of the mafia. Perhaps running from or travelling with. Any suggestions where to start looking?
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Grandfather: John (Giovanni?) Harps (Alps/Arpe/Harpe) born 1832 Stata Janova, Italy)

Post by PippoM »

"Arpe" seems to be the most popular in Liguria, the region Genoa belongs to.
But it's just a guess.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Post Reply