Hi everyone,
I've been learning Italian for a few months now, mostly through apps, music, and short YouTube videos. Reading simple texts is becoming easier, and I can usually understand basic grammar, but I still have a really hard time when native speakers talk naturallyFootball Bros IO and quickly.
Sometimes I recognize almost every word separately, yet the whole sentence still feels confusing once everything blends together. I'm especially struggling with regional accents and connected speech.
I was wondering how other learners here improved their listening skills. Did you focus more on podcasts, TV series, shadowing, or speaking practice? I'd also love recommendations for beginner-friendly Italian content that sounds natural but not too fast.
Italian is such a beautiful language, and I'd really like to reach the point where conversations feel less stressful and more enjoyable.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Struggling to Understand Fast Spoken Italian
-
helengrace
- Newbie

- Posts: 8
- Joined: 15 Jul 2025, 11:34
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Struggling to Understand Fast Spoken Italian
Hi Helen
You might actually get more response by posting this on the open forum.
Personally I would suggest that you just immerse yourself in the language. Seize every opportunity every day to either listen to Italian songs, watch Italian videos, go to Italian Restaurants where there are native speakers etc. If you are not in Italia then join the local Italian Club where they might hold regular events when Italian will be spoken. Also, keep building up your Italian vocab, and if you are not sure how words are pronounced you could always type them into "google translate" and listen there.
I totally get what you are saying about getting lost when native Italian speakers speak fast. In the town I grew up in two dialects were spoken and my parents only spoke Italian when our friends from the North visited. I didn't understand much of it.
Best to you with this.
Angela
You might actually get more response by posting this on the open forum.
Personally I would suggest that you just immerse yourself in the language. Seize every opportunity every day to either listen to Italian songs, watch Italian videos, go to Italian Restaurants where there are native speakers etc. If you are not in Italia then join the local Italian Club where they might hold regular events when Italian will be spoken. Also, keep building up your Italian vocab, and if you are not sure how words are pronounced you could always type them into "google translate" and listen there.
I totally get what you are saying about getting lost when native Italian speakers speak fast. In the town I grew up in two dialects were spoken and my parents only spoke Italian when our friends from the North visited. I didn't understand much of it.
Best to you with this.
Angela
Re: Struggling to Understand Fast Spoken Italian
Also watching Italian TV programs/videos/movies about daily life could help you understanding Italian, watching them before with subtitles and after without subtitles.
As an Italian, I'm very happy to know about foreign people who want to learn Italian. Good luck!
As an Italian, I'm very happy to know about foreign people who want to learn Italian. Good luck!
