Would someone please help translate this record. It is the last record on the left side of the page. I previously posted her marriage record to Pietro Savona and her last name seems to be spelled a little differently. Would someone translate and clarify the spellings. I would appreciate it. Thanks so much.
Mary
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2046915
Help with translation of baptismal for Apollonia La Vocato
-
italian059
- Master

- Posts: 955
- Joined: 10 Jul 2011, 21:36
Re: Help with translation of baptismal for Apollonia La Vocato
Aug 23, 1689
Baptism of Apollonia Giovanna Giuseppa, daughter of Giacomo and Ursula La Vocata, spouses. She was born yesterday.
Godparents were Francesco Grana (sorry but can’t find the accent for over the n on my iPad), and Anna, the wife of Carlo di Palermo.
Baptism of Apollonia Giovanna Giuseppa, daughter of Giacomo and Ursula La Vocata, spouses. She was born yesterday.
Godparents were Francesco Grana (sorry but can’t find the accent for over the n on my iPad), and Anna, the wife of Carlo di Palermo.
-
italian059
- Master

- Posts: 955
- Joined: 10 Jul 2011, 21:36
Re: Help with translation of baptismal for Apollonia La Vocato
Thanks Eurdita. I am still confused with the spelling of her last name. Here is her marriage record. I had posted this record previously and the spelling was different. Any thoughts?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2046915
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2046915
Re: Help with translation of baptismal for Apollonia La Vocato
erudita74 wrote: 31 May 2026, 00:47 Aug 23, 1689
Baptism of Apollonia Giovanna Giuseppa, daughter of Giacomo and Ursula La Vocata, spouses. She was born yesterday.
Godparents were Francesco Granà, and Anna, the wife of Carlo di Palermo.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Help with translation of baptismal for Apollonia La Vocato
@mmogno
Thanks, G.
@ Mary
As to the spelling of Apollonia’s surname. From an etymology point of view, I think the surname derived from the Italian word for lawyer, with avvocato being masculine and avvocata being feminine. I saw in the Corleone marriage index for 1641-1677, a marriage for a Joseph (Giuseppe) Lavocata, and in the actual marriage record, the name is also written as one word. Image 446 of 499. In Apollonia’s marriage record, her surname is written as Avocata, whereas her parents’ surname is written as l’Avocata, I believe. The record is washed out in that area, so it’s hard to say is there is a letter after the “l.” Her parents’ marriage is found on folio 239, image 179 of 237. Marriages 1677 to 1691. In that record her father Giacomo’s surname appears to be written as La Vocata. He was the son of deceased Giuseppe and Apolonia La Vocata. Ursula, his bride, is Ursula Azzetto, the widow of deceased Giuseppe Azzetto. So Azzetto is not her “maiden” surname but rather the surname of her deceased former husband. The date of their marriage Feb 3, 1687.
So the surname La Vocata may have varied in spelling due to dialectal pronunciation, as I do believe its origin is in the Italian words for “the lawyer.” (l’avvocato/l’avvocata. I just don’t know if any of the earliest Corleone records will have it this way.
Thanks, G.
@ Mary
As to the spelling of Apollonia’s surname. From an etymology point of view, I think the surname derived from the Italian word for lawyer, with avvocato being masculine and avvocata being feminine. I saw in the Corleone marriage index for 1641-1677, a marriage for a Joseph (Giuseppe) Lavocata, and in the actual marriage record, the name is also written as one word. Image 446 of 499. In Apollonia’s marriage record, her surname is written as Avocata, whereas her parents’ surname is written as l’Avocata, I believe. The record is washed out in that area, so it’s hard to say is there is a letter after the “l.” Her parents’ marriage is found on folio 239, image 179 of 237. Marriages 1677 to 1691. In that record her father Giacomo’s surname appears to be written as La Vocata. He was the son of deceased Giuseppe and Apolonia La Vocata. Ursula, his bride, is Ursula Azzetto, the widow of deceased Giuseppe Azzetto. So Azzetto is not her “maiden” surname but rather the surname of her deceased former husband. The date of their marriage Feb 3, 1687.
So the surname La Vocata may have varied in spelling due to dialectal pronunciation, as I do believe its origin is in the Italian words for “the lawyer.” (l’avvocato/l’avvocata. I just don’t know if any of the earliest Corleone records will have it this way.
-
italian059
- Master

- Posts: 955
- Joined: 10 Jul 2011, 21:36
Re: Help with translation of baptismal for Apollonia La Vocato
Thanks so much both of you.
Re: Help with translation of baptismal for Apollonia La Vocato
I don’t know why the word ufficio substituted for the word avvocato on my screen. I also had avvocata on the next line, but now my screen is showing only one v. Now that I’ve posted this comment, my original post is correct.