Gricco family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
dngaddie
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 130
Joined: 12 Nov 2018, 18:15

Gricco family

Post by dngaddie »

Looking for info on Gricco family. My great aunt Rose Gricco. Born Italy about 1907. Her father John Gricco born 1878 in Italy and mother Lucy born 1882 Italy.
Thanks.
Farassino
Master
Master
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 May 2024, 17:05

Re: Gricco family

Post by Farassino »

The surname isn't Gricco, it’s Grieco.

Rosa’s birth: 24 March, 1907. #22
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... F1&lang=en

Did you know they were from Carinola?
You hadn't given us a starting point, but fortunately, I found Giovanni's ship manifest.
We're good, but we're not mind readers. :wink:
dngaddie
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 130
Joined: 12 Nov 2018, 18:15

Re: Gricco family

Post by dngaddie »

I didn't know much. Her son had spelling Gricco. Please let me know father full name and age and mother's maiden name and age.

I also got info from Ancestry. There was obit of Mother, Lucy, Said they came to US in 1913. I cannot find that on Ancestry. I would like the manifest.. Also there was older brother Joseph. Earliest US census I have 1920.

She is aunt by marriage she was married to Edwardo Cornetta. He was my grandmother's younger brother. He was born in New York.

Thanks for help. I can't translate so need that info.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Gricco family

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Here’s the translation of the Birth Record with the key details. Lucia Conte’s age is not given. Conte is her maiden name. Italian women kept there maiden name after they were married in Italia. You might like to search for Giovanni and Lucia’s marriage record which will include her age and other details.

Birth No 22 – Rosa Grieco

Registered in Carinola (Section of Nocelleto) on 26 March 1907

Appearing before the official was Giovanni Grieco, 30 yo, Contadino (a peasant/farmer) living in Nocelleto. He repoarted that at 11.20 am , on 24 of the current month (ie March 1907), in the house in Vico Aurora (without a number), from Lucia Conte, his wife, a contadina living with him, was born a baby of female sex, who he presented to the official, and gave the name of Rosa.

(Great work, as usual, finding Giovanni’s ship manifest, and tracking down the name of the town, Farassino.)

Angela
Farassino
Master
Master
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 May 2024, 17:05

Re: Gricco family

Post by Farassino »

Thanks Angela. :)
I like those kinds of challenges.

However, our requesters sometimes take it for granted that we can deliver results despite receiving minimal details.

Anyway, for reference, here’s the ship manifest.
At least that doesn’t need translating. :wink:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 04&lang=en
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Gricco family

Post by mmogno »

The conscription registers include a Giovanni Grieco, born in Carinola on 3 November 1879.
https://ascaserta.cultura.gov.it/en/pub ... e-research
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Gricco family

Post by mmogno »

Manifest for Lucia Conte and her son Giuseppe Grieco
T715-1873-331.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
dngaddie
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 130
Joined: 12 Nov 2018, 18:15

Re: Gricco family

Post by dngaddie »

Thanks to all. You all have provided so much info.

I am sorry I didn't have more but have so much now.

Donna
dngaddie
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 130
Joined: 12 Nov 2018, 18:15

Re: Gricco family

Post by dngaddie »

I think I found 2 more children of this couple. The info from Family Search.

One was Donato Grieco born 25 Oct. 1908 and died 5 Dec. 1909. Place Carinola Italia.
The other Maddelena Grieco born 3 Nov. 1905 and died 22 Dec. 1909 in Carinola.

I still looking for Joseph who came to US with them .

Also would like to find their marriage.

Maybe you all have idea where else I can look.

Thanks again for all the help.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Grieco family

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hello Donna

Here is what is currently available online at Family Search for the town of Carinola:
https://www.familysearch.org/en/search/ ... cc=2043630

So unfortunately the years you are needing to locate Giuseppe’s Birth Record and the Marriage Record of Giovanni Grieco with Lucia Conte are not online. I’m not sure whether they are still in the process of adding those records you are needing. (That film is suppose to begin at 1866.)

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Grecco family

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Here are the links to the Birth and Death Records of Maddalena Grieco and Donato Grieco. I’ve extracted some extra info for you:

1905 Birth No 21: Maddalena Grieco
Registered 6 May 1905

Parents were Giovanni Grieco, a 29 yo contadino, living Nocelleto, and Lucia Conte, his wife, a contadina, living together. Maddalena was born 12.10 on 3 May 1905, in the house in Via Stefano Ceca, no number.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... Id=2043630

1908 Birth No 53: Donato Grieco
Registered 27 October 1908, Carinola (Nocelleto)

Parents: Giovanni Grieco, 38 yo, contadino, living Nocelleto, and Lucia Conte, his wife, a contadina living with him. Donato was born on 25 October 1908 in the house in Via Stefano Ceca, without a number.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... Id=2043630

1909 Death No 40: Donato Grieco, died the morning of 5 December 1909 at 9 am, aged 1 yo: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... Id=2043630

1909 Death No 48: Maddalena Grieco, died 22 December 1909 at 1.20 pm, aged 5 yo
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... Id=2043630 (Image 329)

Angela
dngaddie
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 130
Joined: 12 Nov 2018, 18:15

Re: Gricco family

Post by dngaddie »

Angela Thanks so much. Got a lot on this family now thanks to you and the others.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Grieco family

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

:D

Angela
dngaddie
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 130
Joined: 12 Nov 2018, 18:15

Re: Gricco family

Post by dngaddie »

Angela Thanks again for all the info.

I have gone back to thread I had on great grandparents, Giuseppe Cornetta and Emmanuele Pepe. It is called Looking for Information on Cornetta and Pepe family. I have their marriage info but trying to see if married in church too. Is there anyway to find this info beside. official document. Any advice appreciated.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Gricco family

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi Donna

To prevent duplication of efforts etc, I am going to default to someone else to answer your question/s on the other thread. (Plus I am working on something else at the moment.)

Best to you with this.

Angela
Post Reply