I have located where my Grandparents were born and married. I am planning to visit in the fall of this year. My Grandfather was from Cervino and my Grandmother from Montedecoro (Maddaloni hamlet). They married and lived in Maddaloni before immigrating to the USA. I have their birth notice and civil marriage record. I have contacted all three municipalities and Churches in all locations and also in Caserta. I received a response from Maddaloni with the marriage certificate but nothing else so far. Its been a month. I did send all in Italian. I am sure there is still family there and also want to make the most of my visit. Are there any suggestions of things i can do to make contact with family or get more records, etc.
DP
Visiting my Grandparents towns and need help
-
MaddalenaNYC
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 02:02
- Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Visiting my Grandparents towns and need help
My daughter is traveling to Reggio Emilia in the Fall. She’s a teacher, Montessori trained, here in NYC.
Her private Montessori school is paying for her trip. It’s sort of a work study thing.
She will be just a fifteen minute train ride from her great great grandmother’s home in Parma. She will visit Parma,
I’m kind of knocking my brain looking for any family members still in that area.
I’ve lately resorted to checking local Italian phone books. That’s the only suggestion I have.
Good luck and whether you do or do not find distant relatives in our homeland, the very fact that you are traveling there means everything.
Her private Montessori school is paying for her trip. It’s sort of a work study thing.
She will be just a fifteen minute train ride from her great great grandmother’s home in Parma. She will visit Parma,
I’m kind of knocking my brain looking for any family members still in that area.
I’ve lately resorted to checking local Italian phone books. That’s the only suggestion I have.
Good luck and whether you do or do not find distant relatives in our homeland, the very fact that you are traveling there means everything.
-
MaddalenaNYC
- Veteran

- Posts: 202
- Joined: 27 Feb 2012, 02:02
- Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Visiting my Grandparents towns and need help
Make that her great grandmother. Jeez, it sometimes gets confusing.
Re: Visiting my Grandparents towns and need help
I've been to Parma and loved it there. Wishing your Daughter the best on her trip.
Re: Visiting my Grandparents towns and need help
Try contacting the Pro Loco organization in the town, as members are local residents and often know other local residents.
https://www.prolocovalle.com/
There’s an email address at the above link.
https://www.prolocovalle.com/
There’s an email address at the above link.
Re: Visiting my Grandparents towns and need help
If you are on Facebook, register in the groups
Sei di Maddaloni se and
Sei di Cervino se
then explain, in Italian (possibly using a translator) who your GP's were, when they were born, when they lived there, and all possibly useful info, and ask if someone knows some relatives
Sei di Maddaloni se and
Sei di Cervino se
then explain, in Italian (possibly using a translator) who your GP's were, when they were born, when they lived there, and all possibly useful info, and ask if someone knows some relatives
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Visiting my Grandparents towns and need help
Thank you my friends. I have contacted Pro Loco as suggested and have my fingers crossed.
I have registered and approved on the two groups you have suggested: Sei di Maddaloni se and
Sei di Cervino se.
I'll let you know if anything comes of these things.
I have registered and approved on the two groups you have suggested: Sei di Maddaloni se and
Sei di Cervino se.
I'll let you know if anything comes of these things.

