Researching my 1866 Campaign Greatx2 grandfather

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
ImWalkinHere!
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 12 Aug 2018, 19:43

Researching my 1866 Campaign Greatx2 grandfather

Post by ImWalkinHere! »

Hello all,

I just set up a PEC email to reach out to what I believed was an email and process that would work. I

I sent an email to "archivio.centraledellostato@cultura.gov.it" asking for military records for my Great Great Grandfather Luciano Lombardo who was a sapper in the 1866 campaign. The email system for Aruba.it said "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender"

Im looking for those crunchy primary source documents. Is this the way to do it or am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--Walkin
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Researching my 1866 Campaign Greatx2 grandfather

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I think this may be the correct address: acs@cultura.gov.it (I did notice there was a “pec” address too but I’ve lost it now, but someone else might know it, so wait until someone else chimes in.)

What town and province was Luciano born in? Generally any military records are kept at the State Archives of the respective Province a soldier was born in.

Angela
ImWalkinHere!
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 12 Aug 2018, 19:43

Re: Researching my 1866 Campaign Greatx2 grandfather

Post by ImWalkinHere! »

Hi Angela,

Thank you so much for the response! He was from Caltanissetta city in Caltanissetta province
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Researching my 1866 Campaign Greatx2 grandfather

Post by mmogno »

Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Researching my 1866 Campaign Greatx2 grandfather

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Great find G.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Researching my 1866 Campaign Greatx2 grandfather

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

@ImWalkinHere!

Send your request to the Archivio di Stato di Caltanissetta (ie State Archives of Caltanissetta)

email: as-cl@cultura.gov.it I would use this one.

The Pec address is as-cl@pec.cultura.gov.it

Make sure you include Luciano’s date of birth, especially the year of birth because the Draft Lists are compiled annually at time of birth, and then annotated later when the subject is called.
Also include the names of his parents. (I generally include the name and year of birth in the heading of the email:

e.g.
OGGETTO: Richiesta esito di leva e dei foglie matricolari di
Luciano Settimo Lombardo , Classe di Nascita (year born)

Best to you with this.

Angela
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Researching my 1866 Campaign Greatx2 grandfather

Post by mmogno »

@AngelaGrace56
Nel 1866 siamo ancora al tempo delle Guerre d'Indipendenza, prima del funzionamento dell'esercito nazionale del Regno d'Italia. Credo che i documenti relativi a quel periodo siano all'Archivio di Stato di Torino.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Researching my 1866 Campaign Greatx2 grandfather

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mmogno wrote: 31 Jul 2026, 01:22 @AngelaGrace56
Nel 1866 siamo ancora al tempo delle Guerre d'Indipendenza, prima del funzionamento dell'esercito nazionale del Regno d'Italia. Credo che i documenti relativi a quel periodo siano all'Archivio di Stato di Torino.
@mmogno

Okay. Thank you for that information. (I'll make a note so I remember next time.) I'll let you find the correct email address because I have to go out. (I've just been attempting to send private messages and they bounced. I've had issues again this morning with the forum but it looks like it is fixed again now - hopefully. Hope you are well.)

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Researching my 1866 Campaign Greatx2 grandfather

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

@ImWalkinHere

Hi again

You can send your email to the following email address: as-to@cultura.gov.it

(PEC address is: as-to@pec.cultura.gov.it)

If you haven't already read our previous posts here, read those before you send the email.

Best to you with this.

Angela
ImWalkinHere!
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 12 Aug 2018, 19:43

Re: Researching my 1866 Campaign Greatx2 grandfather

Post by ImWalkinHere! »

Angela, MMogno,

Thank you so much for this helpful information! I have sent my email out. I will update this thread with any information--much appreciated!
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Researching my 1866 Campaign Greatx2 grandfather

Post by mmogno »

Birth record #413 for a Luciano Lombardo, born in Caltanissetta on 16 July 1839. Father Michele, mother Calogera Cordaro.
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 91/5KVMjBM

This Luciano Lombardo married Pasquala Scarantino in Caltanissetta on 6 June 1868. Record #77.
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 00/5dA2Mgn
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
ImWalkinHere!
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 12 Aug 2018, 19:43

Re: Researching my 1866 Campaign Greatx2 grandfather

Post by ImWalkinHere! »

Just an update--Torino seems to be the correct place to look. Caltanissetta came back to me saying they only had a birth certificate and liste di leva document.

Will update when Torino responds to my email.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Researching my 1866 Campaign Greatx2 grandfather

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

ImWalkinHere! wrote: 11 Aug 2026, 17:19 Just an update--Torino seems to be the correct place to look. Caltanissetta came back to me saying they only had a birth certificate and liste di leva document.

Will update when Torino responds to my email.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully you'll hear back from Torino soon.

Angela
Post Reply