Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
To clarify on jcms post........Italian women did not keep their maiden names once in America, they adopted the custom of their new home and took their husbands surname. Only in Italy do they retain their maiden names.
wldspirit
wldspirit
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
----------------------------------------ditota wrote:If I may jump in here and hopefully add something, the manifest number is 81488.
...............
The following children were also on the ship but were not listed on the same page of the manifest as Michele and Carmela. I don't know on what page they appeared or who they traveled with.
Passenger's Name: Trinchitella, Nicola
Age: 11 Months
Gender: Male
Occupation: Infant
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage
Passenger's Name: Trinchitello, Angela
Age: 8
Gender: Female
Occupation: Child
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage
Passenger's Name: Trinchitello, Felicia
Age: 6
Gender: Female
Occupation: Child
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage
Passenger's Name: Trinchitello, Rosario
Age: 3
Gender: Female
Occupation: Child
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage
I just downloaded this page on my desktop... IMAGESHACK is not loading up at this time... but I will link in this record for you... since it is a great piece of information....
Maria
FINALLY... some free time... and ImageShack is way too slow today...
Here is the manifest dtota located for you....
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/249/ ... ildft3.jpg
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
<Italian women did not keep their maiden names once in America, they adopted the custom of their new home and took their husbands surname. Only in Italy do they retain their maiden names.
wldspirit>
wldspirit,
What you say is true but, as with just about everything, there are exceptions to the rule. My grandmother and her 3 young living children all immigrated under her maiden name in 1905 and joined my grandfather who arrived in the previous year. She died 4 years later and her death was recorded under her maiden name. I guess my grandfather stayed with the old custom.
wldspirit>
wldspirit,
What you say is true but, as with just about everything, there are exceptions to the rule. My grandmother and her 3 young living children all immigrated under her maiden name in 1905 and joined my grandfather who arrived in the previous year. She died 4 years later and her death was recorded under her maiden name. I guess my grandfather stayed with the old custom.
Albert De Tota (di Tota)
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
My reference was not to immigration or manifest, but to the American custom of taking the husbands surname, in Italy, the women do not lose the identity of their maiden name as they do here in the US, your grandmother is the exception, not the rule.
[Italian women kept their maiden names for life. Most are listed coming into the US under their maiden names, even when married.
]
The statement could be misconstrued that even here in the US, the Italian women would retain the maiden name......which is why I made the distinction between Italy and US.
wldspirit
[Italian women kept their maiden names for life. Most are listed coming into the US under their maiden names, even when married.
]
The statement could be misconstrued that even here in the US, the Italian women would retain the maiden name......which is why I made the distinction between Italy and US.
wldspirit
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
Sorry that I was unclear.
jcsm
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
"I still can't find anything on my grandfather (Domenico) or his mother (Maria Vaccaro , Vaccaro being her maiden name) or father (Matteo) on how or when the came to the USA but then again, maybe their names are mispelled. I did find something in the Archives in Westchester County on an application to become a citizen for Domenico Colombo. I'm hoping that it's the right Domenico Colombo. If it is, it should give me some clues."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You have these census?
Immigration Summary:
- 1910 census immig 1890 Na,
- 1920 census immig 1889 Na 1899,
- 1930 census immig 1890 Na
------------------------------------------------------------------------
possible 1910 US Census
Name: Dominico Colombo
[Domenico Colombo]
Age in 1910: 38
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1872
BirthPlace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouses's Name: Arcangela
Home in 1910: New Rochelle Ward 4, Westchester, New York
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224 ... b0b9d5.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224 ... 865c77.jpg
possible 1920 US census
Name: Dominick Colombo
[Dominick Colomer]
Home in 1920: New Rochelle Ward 4, Westchester, New York
Age: 46 years
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1874
[abt 1872]
BirthPlace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouses's Name: Angelina
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224 ... olumbo.jpg
possible 1930 US Census
Name: Dominick Colombo
Home in 1930: New Rochelle, Westchester, New York
Age: 58
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1872
BirthPlace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouses's Name: Angelina
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224 ... ac6d72.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You have these census?
Immigration Summary:
- 1910 census immig 1890 Na,
- 1920 census immig 1889 Na 1899,
- 1930 census immig 1890 Na
------------------------------------------------------------------------
possible 1910 US Census
Name: Dominico Colombo
[Domenico Colombo]
Age in 1910: 38
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1872
BirthPlace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouses's Name: Arcangela
Home in 1910: New Rochelle Ward 4, Westchester, New York
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224 ... b0b9d5.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224 ... 865c77.jpg
possible 1920 US census
Name: Dominick Colombo
[Dominick Colomer]
Home in 1920: New Rochelle Ward 4, Westchester, New York
Age: 46 years
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1874
[abt 1872]
BirthPlace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouses's Name: Angelina
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224 ... olumbo.jpg
possible 1930 US Census
Name: Dominick Colombo
Home in 1930: New Rochelle, Westchester, New York
Age: 58
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1872
BirthPlace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouses's Name: Angelina
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224 ... ac6d72.jpg
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
Lordie! Lordie! Look who's linking! And not with ImageShack!
Valarie,
How do you like photobucket? Easy to use?
jcsm
Valarie,
How do you like photobucket? Easy to use?
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
What a great collection of info!! Really nice work Valarie!!
Hey, I'm checking Photobucket out too...
Here's my first Photobucket link ever...
1930 census image from above...
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m300/mfjp/1930.jpg
Maria
later...
Hey, I'm checking Photobucket out too...
Here's my first Photobucket link ever...
1930 census image from above...
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m300/mfjp/1930.jpg
Maria
later...
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
I did look and you are right about the children. They are on page two. I was so sure that this Carmela and Michele were my great grandparents but the children listed confuses me. I could understand maybe Angela being my grandmother who was named Angelina. She had the brother names Nicholas and the baby was named close to that name but all signs on every census points to him being born in the the United States. The other two children I have never heard or read about. I know for a fact that my grandmother Angelina had three brothers from her obituary which I have. Their names were Charles, Samuel Joseph and Nicholas. She also had a sister living in New Rochelle, New York in 1942 when she died. The obituary just list her as Mrs Nicholas Colombo and alive and living in New Rochelle when my grandmother died. All are listed as survivors. With the childrens named aboard the ship, I'm thinking that this were not my great grandparents after all. It seems so odd that as hard as I have looked this past week, it was the only listing that I found for them. Even more odd to me is that there is nothing whatsoever for my grandfather Domenico/Dominico or any of his family coming to America. I guess that there is the possibility that aside from my grandfather who I know was here, the other members of his family never came at all.mfjp wrote:ditota wrote:If I may jump in here and hopefully add something, the manifest number is 81488.
...............
The following children were also on the ship but were not listed on the same page of the manifest as Michele and Carmela. I don't know on what page they appeared or who they traveled with.
I just downloaded this page on my desktop... IMAGESHACK is not loading up at this time... but I will link in this record for you... since it is a great piece of information....
Maria
Hopefully, that application that I sent away for this past week and assuming that I sent away for the right Domenico/Dominico Colombo is the right person, it should tell me something.
Judy
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
I was on vacation this past week and decided on subscribing to Ancestry.com in hopes that they would have some info for me. Aside from the 3 census and the one that may be iffy on my great grandparents on the passenger list, I'm not getting anywhere. I'm on a trial period for 2 weeks and wonder if the $155 will be worth it? I love the family tree and how I could attach from the site to it. I guess I'm hoping that within a year someone will come out of the blue that knew my family or are related to me.vj wrote:"I still can't find anything on my grandfather (Domenico) or his mother (Maria Vaccaro , Vaccaro being her maiden name) or father (Matteo) on how or when the came to the USA but then again, maybe their names are mispelled. I did find something in the Archives in Westchester County on an application to become a citizen for Domenico Colombo. I'm hoping that it's the right Domenico Colombo. If it is, it should give me some clues."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You have these census?
Immigration Summary:
- 1910 census immig 1890 Na,
- 1920 census immig 1889 Na 1899,
- 1930 census immig 1890 Na
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224 ... ac6d72.jpg
Judy
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
I to debated the cost of ancestry vs content....for my lines, there is not much except census info and a tree someone did that is completely inaccurate......
But for my husbands lines, I have found tons of info....his family has been in the US since the 1700's......so in that regard it has been well worth the cost,......... for my Italian family, no.
wldspirit
But for my husbands lines, I have found tons of info....his family has been in the US since the 1700's......so in that regard it has been well worth the cost,......... for my Italian family, no.
wldspirit
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
Don't think this is a duplicate post? vj
Domenico COLUMBO
possible manifest, second trip 1898?
Castle Garden transcripton:
Domenico Columbo
Occupation Laborer
Age 27
Sex M
Literacy N
Arrived 24 Sep 1898
Origin Italy
Port Naples
Last Residence Carazzo
Destination New York
Plan Unknown
Ship Alesia
Ellis Island (torn manifest)
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0008
24 Sep 1898 SS Alesia Naples to NY, line 8
Domeseico ...o (Domenico Calumbo, Columbo, Palumbo)
27 yrs old, married
able to read/write: yes
last residence Caiazzo?
going to NY
in Italy sister Caterina
Domenico COLUMBO
possible manifest, second trip 1898?
Castle Garden transcripton:
Domenico Columbo
Occupation Laborer
Age 27
Sex M
Literacy N
Arrived 24 Sep 1898
Origin Italy
Port Naples
Last Residence Carazzo
Destination New York
Plan Unknown
Ship Alesia
Ellis Island (torn manifest)
http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0008
24 Sep 1898 SS Alesia Naples to NY, line 8
Domeseico ...o (Domenico Calumbo, Columbo, Palumbo)
27 yrs old, married
able to read/write: yes
last residence Caiazzo?
going to NY
in Italy sister Caterina
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
[quote="vj"]"I still can't find anything on my grandfather (Domenico) or his mother (Maria Vaccaro , Vaccaro being her maiden name) or father (Matteo) on how or when the came to the USA but then again, maybe their names are mispelled. I did find something in the Archives in Westchester County on an application to become a citizen for Domenico Colombo. I'm hoping that it's the right Domenico Colombo. If it is, it should give me some clues."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You have these census?
Immigration Summary:
- 1910 census immig 1890 Na,
- 1920 census immig 1889 Na 1899,
- 1930 census immig 1890 Na
------------------------------------------------------------------------
possible 1910 US Census
Here I am back again. I have done a number of things since I last posted. One was to send awoy for the application to become a citizen and I did receive it. It's for a Domenico Colombo of New Rochelle. How can I tell if this application is for my grandfather or another Domenico Colombo that may have lived in New Rochelle? I says that he arrived in New York from Italy (doesn't say where in Italy) on November 14, 1890. Affidavit of Petitioner was signed on March 2, 1890 and the Affidavit of Witness was signed March 17, 1890. The Witness is a Nicolo Colombo of Pelham, New York in Westchester County. Domenico was a laborer and resided at 529 Main Street in New Rochelle at this time. The petition also states that he came to the United States when he was under 18 years old which is what the obituary said. So wouldn't he have come over with his parents at such a young age???? Hmmmm.
I wrote to the funeral home that the Colombo's used and he couldn't tell me anything that I didn't know. The date of my grandparents deaths, the year they were born. I swear, everything I look at has their birthday a different year. Also my grandmothers maiden name was Tinto. They didn't know anything about her parents or his..
I wrote also to the cemetary and got less info from them and it was all what I already knew and a map of the cemetary where they are located. They had a Tinto listing but the Tinto's were from Connecticut and they said that these Tinto's were most likely not related to me but according to the census, my great grandmother lived in Connecticut at one point with her son. Sad thing is that the cemetary didn't send any information on them thinking they weren't related to me. They could be right and then again, they may be wrong.
So now I can't think of another thing to do...any ideas? I notice who I believe to be my grandmothers brother lived in Florida and that he had a social security listing. Do you think it would be worth sending away for tha application?
Help, I feel like I'm up against a brick wall. I'm also working on my mothers side of the family which were Irish and not having much luck with them either. It almost feels like I'm at the end of the rope. I hope that I'm wrong.
Judy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You have these census?
Immigration Summary:
- 1910 census immig 1890 Na,
- 1920 census immig 1889 Na 1899,
- 1930 census immig 1890 Na
------------------------------------------------------------------------
possible 1910 US Census
Here I am back again. I have done a number of things since I last posted. One was to send awoy for the application to become a citizen and I did receive it. It's for a Domenico Colombo of New Rochelle. How can I tell if this application is for my grandfather or another Domenico Colombo that may have lived in New Rochelle? I says that he arrived in New York from Italy (doesn't say where in Italy) on November 14, 1890. Affidavit of Petitioner was signed on March 2, 1890 and the Affidavit of Witness was signed March 17, 1890. The Witness is a Nicolo Colombo of Pelham, New York in Westchester County. Domenico was a laborer and resided at 529 Main Street in New Rochelle at this time. The petition also states that he came to the United States when he was under 18 years old which is what the obituary said. So wouldn't he have come over with his parents at such a young age???? Hmmmm.
I wrote to the funeral home that the Colombo's used and he couldn't tell me anything that I didn't know. The date of my grandparents deaths, the year they were born. I swear, everything I look at has their birthday a different year. Also my grandmothers maiden name was Tinto. They didn't know anything about her parents or his..
I wrote also to the cemetary and got less info from them and it was all what I already knew and a map of the cemetary where they are located. They had a Tinto listing but the Tinto's were from Connecticut and they said that these Tinto's were most likely not related to me but according to the census, my great grandmother lived in Connecticut at one point with her son. Sad thing is that the cemetary didn't send any information on them thinking they weren't related to me. They could be right and then again, they may be wrong.
So now I can't think of another thing to do...any ideas? I notice who I believe to be my grandmothers brother lived in Florida and that he had a social security listing. Do you think it would be worth sending away for tha application?
Help, I feel like I'm up against a brick wall. I'm also working on my mothers side of the family which were Irish and not having much luck with them either. It almost feels like I'm at the end of the rope. I hope that I'm wrong.
Judy
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
Hi Judy,
I'm so sorry that your research is not progressing & your hitting the inferno brick wall! I really think that we can knok it it down....at else give it one _ _ ll of a try!
I'm rereading this post & will be posting a summary, hopefully soon.....I'm trying to find "new" directions & will be asking you to try different things. I'm sure I'll have questions for you, too.If you have already tried one of my suggestions, just let me know.
jcsm
I'm so sorry that your research is not progressing & your hitting the inferno brick wall! I really think that we can knok it it down....at else give it one _ _ ll of a try!
I'm rereading this post & will be posting a summary, hopefully soon.....I'm trying to find "new" directions & will be asking you to try different things. I'm sure I'll have questions for you, too.If you have already tried one of my suggestions, just let me know.
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
Given the fact that you have a birthdate and a possible birthplace for Domenico Colombo did you try writing to the municipio of Caiazzo? It seems worth a try. I can't see (don't know why) the manifest at EllisIsland site, but if the name is corrupted Palumbo seems a good alternative for the name (there is a Domenico Palumbo living in Caiazzo today!
)
Is there any possibility that the name Tinto didn't change? I don't know, may be Tinchitella was Carmela's second husband and the census page is wrong
) I say this because Tinto is a rare surname and is only present just in the same province of Caiazzo. Seems too good to be true ...
Anyhow the address of the town-hall is
Municipio
Piazza Martiri Caiatini, 1
81013 Caiazzo (CE)
good luck!
Marco
Is there any possibility that the name Tinto didn't change? I don't know, may be Tinchitella was Carmela's second husband and the census page is wrong
Anyhow the address of the town-hall is
Municipio
Piazza Martiri Caiatini, 1
81013 Caiazzo (CE)
good luck!
Marco
Chi fûr li maggior tui?



