Website Design / HTML
Re: Website Design / HTML
Hi Bob..not sure if this helps or is even close to what you're talking about (I'm really behind in this course but I catch up quick once I start.)
I found that transcribing the ship manifests were important for me so when I found this site I was so happy. I could never figure out how to type from my computer onto pdf forms and this site gave me the option to use html...I combined that with the picture of the ship and the image of the manifest and it was so useful.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilpip1gs/manif ... _forms.htm
I wish there were more forms out there like this. I hate photocopying forms and then filling them in.
Am I making sense and does this follow with your plans/ideas???
nuccia
I found that transcribing the ship manifests were important for me so when I found this site I was so happy. I could never figure out how to type from my computer onto pdf forms and this site gave me the option to use html...I combined that with the picture of the ship and the image of the manifest and it was so useful.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilpip1gs/manif ... _forms.htm
I wish there were more forms out there like this. I hate photocopying forms and then filling them in.
Am I making sense and does this follow with your plans/ideas???
nuccia
Re: Website Design / HTML
Nuccia,
That's a great site, and combined with some of the concepts that I am trying to get across to everyone, it could be valuable.
I am trying to get the basic concept of HTML Tables across so that you can combine the HTML Table (several good ones at the link you provided) with the actual informaiton and any images that you would like.
Thanks
That's a great site, and combined with some of the concepts that I am trying to get across to everyone, it could be valuable.
I am trying to get the basic concept of HTML Tables across so that you can combine the HTML Table (several good ones at the link you provided) with the actual informaiton and any images that you would like.
Thanks
Bob Fornal
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
Re: Website Design / HTML
Printed out the manifest form....hadn't seen that one before.....good link!!
I would be interested in Citizenship Records, Special Memories, Where Our Ancestors Have Lived, Weddings, Military Service Records, Oral Family History, Photographs.
But I've got to get these tables down......that is going to take a little practice....as long as I have the basic formula......then I can pretty much experiment and figure it out......
Lisa
I would be interested in Citizenship Records, Special Memories, Where Our Ancestors Have Lived, Weddings, Military Service Records, Oral Family History, Photographs.
But I've got to get these tables down......that is going to take a little practice....as long as I have the basic formula......then I can pretty much experiment and figure it out......
Lisa
Re: Website Design / HTML
You've got the basic formula ...
The entire TABLE is enclosed with <TABLE> and </TABLE>.
Each ROW is enclosed with <TR> and </TR>.
Each Cell is enclosed with <TD> and </TD>
For TR and TD, I try to remember them as Table Row and Table Data. From there, it is spacing and what options you want ...
The entire TABLE is enclosed with <TABLE> and </TABLE>.
Each ROW is enclosed with <TR> and </TR>.
Each Cell is enclosed with <TD> and </TD>
For TR and TD, I try to remember them as Table Row and Table Data. From there, it is spacing and what options you want ...
Bob Fornal
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
Re: Website Design / HTML
Practice makes perfect!!!!!
and a big thank you for explaining the colors.....I kept trying to make the paint program give me other options for color, to no avail.......my new system is about 6 months old and there are many programs I have yet to even open for fear of "messing something up"........
Lisa
and a big thank you for explaining the colors.....I kept trying to make the paint program give me other options for color, to no avail.......my new system is about 6 months old and there are many programs I have yet to even open for fear of "messing something up"........
Lisa
Re: Website Design / HTML
I work with many people that feel the same way ... the best advice I can give is to try it ... the worst you can do is mess things up and they have to be reloaded ...
Most computers don't blow up (not because of what we do) ...
You learn best from mistakes, therefore I must be working on my 3rd or 4th PhD ...
Most computers don't blow up (not because of what we do) ...
You learn best from mistakes, therefore I must be working on my 3rd or 4th PhD ...
Bob Fornal
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
Re: Website Design / HTML
The manifest form is wonderful and you can fill it in from your computer which really speeds things up and looks better. I also like the fact that it has different versions for the different years the manifests were used.wldspirit wrote:Printed out the manifest form....hadn't seen that one before.....good link!!
I would be interested in Citizenship Records, Special Memories, Where Our Ancestors Have Lived, Weddings, Military Service Records, Oral Family History, Photographs.
But I've got to get these tables down......that is going to take a little practice....as long as I have the basic formula......then I can pretty much experiment and figure it out......
Lisa
Bob, can you use this idea then to turn pdf forms into html and will they look as good too? This is an area in which I am very interested so I'd love to learn more about converting forms to this format. I hope you can help.
nuccia
Re: Website Design / HTML
Nuccia ...
Are you printing out these forms and then entering the information by hand?
I hope what you are trying to get across is to edit a copy of the original form, possibly attaching a copy of the image, and then posting the whole thing on-line to a site you manage ...
Generally PDFs cannot be transferred to HTML format, but most web-sites are able to link to a PDF which then comes up in the browser (still as a PDF) ... check out my resume in PDF form for a good example).
Are you printing out these forms and then entering the information by hand?
I hope what you are trying to get across is to edit a copy of the original form, possibly attaching a copy of the image, and then posting the whole thing on-line to a site you manage ...
Generally PDFs cannot be transferred to HTML format, but most web-sites are able to link to a PDF which then comes up in the browser (still as a PDF) ... check out my resume in PDF form for a good example).
Bob Fornal
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
Re: Website Design / HTML
Lisa,
How are you doing on learning about tables? Are you getting the concepts?
How are you doing on learning about tables? Are you getting the concepts?
Bob Fornal
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
Re: Website Design / HTML
Sorry Bob,rfornal wrote:Nuccia ...
Are you printing out these forms and then entering the information by hand?
I hope what you are trying to get across is to edit a copy of the original form, possibly attaching a copy of the image, and then posting the whole thing on-line to a site you manage ...
Generally PDFs cannot be transferred to HTML format, but most web-sites are able to link to a PDF which then comes up in the browser (still as a PDF) ... check out my resume in PDF form for a good example).
I'm confused. Yes, I was printing out the PDF forms and filling them out by hand. The html ones I filled out from the computer. I guess if I have time this weekend I should looked over your resume in PDF form..
nuccia
Re: Website Design / HTML
I guess I'm not quite sure what you're doing ... "the html ones I filled out from the computer." Can you describe in more detail what you are doing here ... ???

Bob Fornal
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
Re: Website Design / HTML
Bob, can I contact you off board...not having a good night and am probably not explaining myself clearly...or, if yo prefer, you can contct me at my email.rfornal wrote:I guess I'm not quite sure what you're doing ... "the html ones I filled out from the computer." Can you describe in more detail what you are doing here ... ???
nuccia
Re: Website Design / HTML
E-Mail me anytime ... I'll probably be off for the night in about 20min, so probably tomorrow or weekend ...

Bob Fornal
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
Re: Website Design / HTML
Hi Bob.......sent you an email......LisaHow are you doing on learning about tables? Are you getting the concepts?
Re: Website Design / HTML
Might be filler, might be fluff, but I thought I'd add some basics ... background information, if you will.
Web Page versus HTML Page
What is the difference?
Technically a Web Page is an HTML page this is on the Internet, rather than on someone's computer.
A Web Site is a related collection of pages ... similar to a book, but more like a 3-ring binder where pages can be added and removed.
The term Home Page seems to have two definitions ... often, this describes the first page that people see on a site (possibly Index.html) ... it can also refer to a corporate or personal Web Site.
Web Page versus HTML Page
What is the difference?
Technically a Web Page is an HTML page this is on the Internet, rather than on someone's computer.
A Web Site is a related collection of pages ... similar to a book, but more like a 3-ring binder where pages can be added and removed.
The term Home Page seems to have two definitions ... often, this describes the first page that people see on a site (possibly Index.html) ... it can also refer to a corporate or personal Web Site.
Bob Fornal
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com
http://www.podcastgenealogy.com

