Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Hello,
I forgot to tell you to write to those offices only in Italian, people working for the Government in Italy usually don't know foreign languages,
bye Riccardo
I forgot to tell you to write to those offices only in Italian, people working for the Government in Italy usually don't know foreign languages,
bye Riccardo
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
mfjp wrote:Manifests of interest.... not sure who Francesco's siblings were...
First Name: Salvatore
Last Name: Lipari
Ethnicity: Italy South
Last Place of Residence: Lentini, Sicily
Date of Arrival: May 07, 1909
Age at Arrival: 24y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Lazio
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0005
Page 1
Salvatores father in Italy would be Vincenzo
Page 2
Mentions that he will be joining brother Francesco at no. 5 Davenport St. in Omaha, Nebraska
Maria
By any chance, do you know what their addresses were in Omaha?
Maria
- steph25jones
- Newbie

- Posts: 17
- Joined: 29 Jun 2006, 00:00
- Location: united states
- Contact:
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Hello everyone, I posted a message at the end of June seeking help finding my great-grandfather and everyone on here has been such great help with finding information, giving advice and guidance that I am hoping someone out there can help me with my next struggle on researching my families history.
I am trying to locate information on my great-uncle James Lipari. I know he was born in Omaha, Nebraska, grew up here and attended high school at Tech High in Omaha, Nebraska and we believe he committed suicide around 1936 on Palm Sunday. I do not have much information on him such as a birth date, anything. When my great-grandfather Salvatore Lipari was alive he never talked about James or what had happened.
Here is all the information I have for him:
Father: Francesco Lipari
First Name: Francesco
Last Name: Lipari
Ethnicity: Italian, South Italian
Last Place of Residence: Lentini, Sicily
Date of Arrival: Jun 08, 1907
Age at Arrival: 28y 4m Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Calabria
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0025
1907 Manifest pg 1
Off to join b-i-l Gaetano Marino in Omaha Nebraska
Manifest states that he was married, this could have been his first trip to USA, his last residence was Lentini... place of birth was Lentini...
Mother: Maria Cicero
First Name: Maria
Last Name: Cicero
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Sentini, Sicily (Lentini)
Date of Arrival: Mar 27, 1910
Age at Arrival: 27y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Duca Degli Abruzzi
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0026
Maria's manifest 1910
1910 page 2
Husband mentioned is Francesco Lipari, father (next of kin) in Italy is Salvatore
Place of birth Lentini....
James had 1 brother Salvatore Lipari and 1 sister Francis. We believe that James was the oldest, then Sam (Salvatore), then Francis was the youngest. We know Francesco and Maria went back to Lentini after living in the US for about 30 years. We know Salvatore remained in the US and would visit Italy every couple years. We know that Francis also moved back to Italy but we do not know if it was before or after James death.
If anyone out there can help please let me know and thank you for all the help so many of you have offered.
Steph
I am trying to locate information on my great-uncle James Lipari. I know he was born in Omaha, Nebraska, grew up here and attended high school at Tech High in Omaha, Nebraska and we believe he committed suicide around 1936 on Palm Sunday. I do not have much information on him such as a birth date, anything. When my great-grandfather Salvatore Lipari was alive he never talked about James or what had happened.
Here is all the information I have for him:
Father: Francesco Lipari
First Name: Francesco
Last Name: Lipari
Ethnicity: Italian, South Italian
Last Place of Residence: Lentini, Sicily
Date of Arrival: Jun 08, 1907
Age at Arrival: 28y 4m Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Calabria
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0025
1907 Manifest pg 1
Off to join b-i-l Gaetano Marino in Omaha Nebraska
Manifest states that he was married, this could have been his first trip to USA, his last residence was Lentini... place of birth was Lentini...
Mother: Maria Cicero
First Name: Maria
Last Name: Cicero
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Sentini, Sicily (Lentini)
Date of Arrival: Mar 27, 1910
Age at Arrival: 27y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Duca Degli Abruzzi
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0026
Maria's manifest 1910
1910 page 2
Husband mentioned is Francesco Lipari, father (next of kin) in Italy is Salvatore
Place of birth Lentini....
James had 1 brother Salvatore Lipari and 1 sister Francis. We believe that James was the oldest, then Sam (Salvatore), then Francis was the youngest. We know Francesco and Maria went back to Lentini after living in the US for about 30 years. We know Salvatore remained in the US and would visit Italy every couple years. We know that Francis also moved back to Italy but we do not know if it was before or after James death.
If anyone out there can help please let me know and thank you for all the help so many of you have offered.
Steph
- steph25jones
- Newbie

- Posts: 17
- Joined: 29 Jun 2006, 00:00
- Location: united states
- Contact:
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
I have one more question guys, I found Frank (Francesco) Lipari and Mary (Maria Cicero) Lipari on the 1920 & 1930 Census but am having a hard time finding them on the new 1910 Census that came out. If anyone can help thanks!
-Steph
-Steph
- steph25jones
- Newbie

- Posts: 17
- Joined: 29 Jun 2006, 00:00
- Location: united states
- Contact:
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Hey everyone I'm hoping someone can help me with this one. My mom and I went to the Family History Center and requested the micro-film for the Italian Vital records for the Comune of Siracusa-Lentini and we believe we may have found the records of my Great-grandfather Francesco Lipari but the documents are in Italian and we are not sure what it says. If anyone can help that would be great. I have the records as an attachment and I am trying to post this with them included but I do not know how to do that. Someone help me thanks.
Steph
Steph
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
For future reference..........may come in handy.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP
If you have the image saved on your computer, you can use imageshack to host it, it is a free hosting site.....
http://www.imageshack.us/
wldspirit
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP
If you have the image saved on your computer, you can use imageshack to host it, it is a free hosting site.....
http://www.imageshack.us/
wldspirit
- steph25jones
- Newbie

- Posts: 17
- Joined: 29 Jun 2006, 00:00
- Location: united states
- Contact:
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Hello everyone, have a quick question out there I hope someone can help me with or share some advice. I am still researching information on my great-grandparents. I am wondering how I can find out if they were ever naturalized in the US. I have the declaration of intention papers of my great-grandfather Francesco Lipari, born Jan 15, 1879. We believe that he never became naturalized because my great-grandparents eventually went back to Lentini, Sicily to live.I do not have my great-grandmothers declaration of inention. She was born April 20, 1883.
If anyone can offer adice or help would be great.
Thank you!
If anyone can offer adice or help would be great.
Thank you!
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Here's the Census record that jcsm located for you on another post...steph25jones wrote:I have one more question guys, I found Frank (Francesco) Lipari and Mary (Maria Cicero) Lipari on the 1920 & 1930 Census but am having a hard time finding them on the new 1910 Census that came out. If anyone can help thanks!
-Steph
1930 United States Federal Census Record
about James Lipari
Name: James Lipari
Age: 18
Estimated birth year: abt 1912
Relation to head-of-house: Son
Father's Name: Frank Lipari
Mother's Name: Mary Lipari
Home in 1930: Omaha, Douglas, Nebraska
1930 census
It would be nice if a 1910 census record could be located..!!
We've got a great team here...
Where's the 1920 census record? Was it ever posted?
Maria
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Hi Steph,
At this site, there is a volunteer that will do naturalization look ups for Omaha.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~nedougla/html/dlookup.html
Hope it helps.
jcsm
At this site, there is a volunteer that will do naturalization look ups for Omaha.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~nedougla/html/dlookup.html
Hope it helps.
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
- steph25jones
- Newbie

- Posts: 17
- Joined: 29 Jun 2006, 00:00
- Location: united states
- Contact:
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
Thanks jcsm400, I am contacting Nancy Mancuso. I really appreciate it.
Steph Jones
Steph Jones
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
In 1930 census states he applied for first papers... His wife, however, is listed as an alien.
Since first papers were issued within 7 years of naturalization, the first his papers would be listed was 1923...(if you have papers, you have the date). She would have had to apply separately for first papers...after 1922 women no longer got citizenship on their husbands papers.
Fairly sure, she probably never applied...and if he returned, not likely he was naturalized. You can look for another document: petition for naturalization...it has a lot of info also, filled out after Decl. of Int. but before final naturalization.
Also, get a copy of Trafford Cole's book Italian Genealogical Records or Lynn Nelson's Discovering Your Italian Ancestors. These books have loads of information about researching the Italian records. Both help translate documents. At first it is very hard....just look for names and keep a list of Italian words for year, month, day, numbers, etc. This will help. Once you do it for a while, it becomes a whole bunch easier.
I found if I created a form with name, date, etc and used them I could track people. Later I used a copy of the birth text or marriage text and then just filled in the blanks. Always make a copy of the original and take it all home. Sometimes if you place a bad copy in paint program or a photo editing program, you eliminate a lot of the background stuff and it makes it very much easier to read.
Good Luck.
Since first papers were issued within 7 years of naturalization, the first his papers would be listed was 1923...(if you have papers, you have the date). She would have had to apply separately for first papers...after 1922 women no longer got citizenship on their husbands papers.
Fairly sure, she probably never applied...and if he returned, not likely he was naturalized. You can look for another document: petition for naturalization...it has a lot of info also, filled out after Decl. of Int. but before final naturalization.
Also, get a copy of Trafford Cole's book Italian Genealogical Records or Lynn Nelson's Discovering Your Italian Ancestors. These books have loads of information about researching the Italian records. Both help translate documents. At first it is very hard....just look for names and keep a list of Italian words for year, month, day, numbers, etc. This will help. Once you do it for a while, it becomes a whole bunch easier.
I found if I created a form with name, date, etc and used them I could track people. Later I used a copy of the birth text or marriage text and then just filled in the blanks. Always make a copy of the original and take it all home. Sometimes if you place a bad copy in paint program or a photo editing program, you eliminate a lot of the background stuff and it makes it very much easier to read.
Good Luck.
Re: Help finding the birth place of my great-grandfather
sorry.......duplicate post


