Wanting my italian citizenship
- lisapallone
- Newbie

- Posts: 2
- Joined: 09 Sep 2006, 00:00
Wanting my italian citizenship
Just wondering if I am able to apply for my citizenship. My Nonna and Nonno were both born in Italy, my father was also born in Italy but moved to Canada when he was 6 and became a Canadian citizen. Because he gave up his Italian citizenship and I still able to get mine? Any info or site recomendations would be greatly apprecated. Thanks, Lisa
Re: Wanting my italian citizenship
here is an Faq site
which should answer your question, as well as the expats site.
http://www.italiamerica.org/id71.htm
http://www.expatsinitaly.com/citizenshi ... nship.html
wldspirit
which should answer your question, as well as the expats site.
http://www.italiamerica.org/id71.htm
http://www.expatsinitaly.com/citizenshi ... nship.html
wldspirit
Re: Wanting my italian citizenship
This may not apply to you ut it may help someone else...I found out from a friend that there may be a grey area about this issue in Canada...If you are under 18 your Dad may be able to get you citizenshop anyway..Basically, as I was told, this country asked you to renounce your Italian citizenship but Italy didn't so in their eyes your Dad may still be considered a citizen.lisapallone wrote:Just wondering if I am able to apply for my citizenship. My Nonna and Nonno were both born in Italy, my father was also born in Italy but moved to Canada when he was 6 and became a Canadian citizen. Because he gave up his Italian citizenship and I still able to get mine? Any info or site recomendations would be greatly apprecated. Thanks, Lisa
I'm not sure of all the details only that my brother in laws brother did it for his children so you may want to check it out if its applicable. I'm still working on my Dad trying to help me even though I'm slightly over 18...there may be a loophole. He naturalized 2 months before I was born making my sister eligable but not me or my brother..
Will try to find out more. Meanwhile, listen to the Italian radio station in the morning (9am I think) since they often have a program revolving around the whole citizenship issue.
nuccia
Re: Wanting my italian citizenship
Nuccia,
I know this was possible to do in the years between 1992 and 1997 because one of my relatives who lives in Toronto did it for herself and her children. I may be wrong, but I think this brief "window" no longer applies. (This was the five-year period after dual citizenship was permitted.)
Let us know what you find out.
I think the same thing applies to lisapallone. Her father was a Canadian citizen when she was born, making it impossible for him to pass on Italian citizenship. If he had applied for reinstatement during that five-year period, and she were under 18 years old at the time, he could have applied for her as well.
My own children are in the same position in that my husband naturalized before their birth. Ironically, although their father was born in Italy, he can't give them citizenship and they can claim eligibility only through their great grandfather (my grandfather).
It's sad that although the Italian citizenship laws are quite liberal, a few months--even a few days--can mean the difference between eligibility or non eligibility.
I know this was possible to do in the years between 1992 and 1997 because one of my relatives who lives in Toronto did it for herself and her children. I may be wrong, but I think this brief "window" no longer applies. (This was the five-year period after dual citizenship was permitted.)
Let us know what you find out.
I think the same thing applies to lisapallone. Her father was a Canadian citizen when she was born, making it impossible for him to pass on Italian citizenship. If he had applied for reinstatement during that five-year period, and she were under 18 years old at the time, he could have applied for her as well.
My own children are in the same position in that my husband naturalized before their birth. Ironically, although their father was born in Italy, he can't give them citizenship and they can claim eligibility only through their great grandfather (my grandfather).
It's sad that although the Italian citizenship laws are quite liberal, a few months--even a few days--can mean the difference between eligibility or non eligibility.

