Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Marco,

Good idea!

Judy,

This site gives the email address for the city hall.....this maybe easier & faster......make your request in Italian.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/061/009/index.html

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by jcsm400 »

raymo wrote:Ufficio Anagrafe, Sala Consilina, email address: E-Mail: anagrafe@comune.sala-consilina.salerno.it

Judy,

Have you done this one for Michael Tinto?

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by jcsm400 »

I'm Back tracking here. Judy, Do you still think these are your great grandparents?
ditota wrote:If I may jump in here and hopefully add something, the manifest number is 81488.

Passenger's Name: Triuchitilla, Michele
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Occupation: Laborer
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown


Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage

Passenger's Name: Devito, Carmela
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Occupation: Laborer
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following children were also on the ship but were not listed on the same page of the manifest as Michele and Carmela. I don't know on what page they appeared or who they traveled with.

Passenger's Name: Trinchitella, Nicola
Age: 11 Months
Gender: Male
Occupation: Infant
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage

Passenger's Name: Trinchitello, Angela
Age: 8
Gender: Female
Occupation: Child
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage

Passenger's Name: Trinchitello, Felicia
Age: 6
Gender: Female
Occupation: Child
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage

Passenger's Name: Trinchitello, Rosario
Age: 3
Gender: Female
Occupation: Child
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage
Link to page 2.....Never seen this before, separete list for children & a list of infants.....Since Michele Triuchitilla(sp) is the only adult that matches, they have to be his & Carmela's??

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/4305/t ... pg2iy9.jpg




Something else that I noticed, is that Angelina Tinto & Domenico Colombo married 11/4/1901 in New Rochelle (record not found, info from Angelina's obit) & 1910 census shows them married 14 years (=1896)

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by wldspirit »

Great catch Nonna J....... :D
Lisa
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

Marco wrote:Given the fact that you have a birthdate and a possible birthplace for Domenico Colombo did you try writing to the municipio of Caiazzo? It seems worth a try. I can't see (don't know why) the manifest at EllisIsland site, but if the name is corrupted Palumbo seems a good alternative for the name (there is a Domenico Palumbo living in Caiazzo today! :D )
Is there any possibility that the name Tinto didn't change? I don't know, may be Tinchitella was Carmela's second husband and the census page is wrong :? ) I say this because Tinto is a rare surname and is only present just in the same province of Caiazzo. Seems too good to be true ...

Anyhow the address of the town-hall is

Municipio
Piazza Martiri Caiatini, 1
81013 Caiazzo (CE)

good luck!
Marco
Hi Marco, I remember my mother telling me that there was a name change but don't know if it was the Colombo or Tinto side of the family. Of course, the Colombo/Tinto family are my fathers family so I don't know how much my mother knew about them. I'm thinking that with Tinchitella being found in the cenus that my mother may have been right. I remember her saying they shortened the name. What I don't know if she was talking about the Colombo's or the Tinto's. :)

I don't speak or write Italian but I remember that there is a link that I can write a letter in English and it will turn it into Italian. I'll work on that over the weekend. Thanks for the address.

Judy
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

jcsm400 wrote:
raymo wrote:Ufficio Anagrafe, Sala Consilina, email address: E-Mail: anagrafe@comune.sala-consilina.salerno.it

Judy,

Have you done this one for Michael Tinto?

jcsm
No, but I will over the weekend. Anything is worth a try at this point.

Judy
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

jcsm400 wrote:I'm Back tracking here. Judy, Do you still think these are your great grandparents?
ditota wrote:If I may jump in here and hopefully add something, the manifest number is 81488.

Passenger's Name: Triuchitilla, Michele
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Occupation: Laborer
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown


Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage

Passenger's Name: Devito, Carmela
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Occupation: Laborer
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following children were also on the ship but were not listed on the same page of the manifest as Michele and Carmela. I don't know on what page they appeared or who they traveled with.

Passenger's Name: Trinchitella, Nicola
Age: 11 Months
Gender: Male
Occupation: Infant
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage

Passenger's Name: Trinchitello, Angela
Age: 8
Gender: Female
Occupation: Child
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage

Passenger's Name: Trinchitello, Felicia
Age: 6
Gender: Female
Occupation: Child
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage

Passenger's Name: Trinchitello, Rosario
Age: 3
Gender: Female
Occupation: Child
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage
Link to page 2.....Never seen this before, separete list for children & a list of infants.....Since Michele Triuchitilla(sp) is the only adult that matches, they have to be his & Carmela's??

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/4305/t ... pg2iy9.jpg




Something else that I noticed, is that Angelina Tinto & Domenico Colombo married 11/4/1901 in New Rochelle (record not found, info from Angelina's obit) & 1910 census shows them married 14 years (=1896)

I was so sure that these were my great grandparents when I first saw the listing. I know that my great grandfather's name was Tinto which I think may have been changed from Tinchitella. I also know my great grandmothers name was De Vito. Then I saw the children. I have no idea who they are. What a bummer. Maybe Angela is my grandmother Angelina and the rest her brothers or sisters. I know know she had one sister, it's possible she had more then one sibling. I guess I'm grasping at straws as the saying goes.

Judy

jcsm
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

Something else that I noticed, is that Angelina Tinto & Domenico Colombo married 11/4/1901 in New Rochelle (record not found, info from Angelina's obit) & 1910 census shows them married 14 years (=1896)

jcsm[/quote]

I just looked again at the obituary posting and that's the date given for their marriage at the time of Angelina's death in 1942. One of the children probably gave the info. I know my aunts and uncles were very private about their ages but I can't imagine my cute little grandparents fibbing about their age. I have one picture of them and they look so sweet. My thinking is the census is right and the obit wrong. According to the obituary they were married at Blessed Sacrament Church in New Rochelle. In later years they attended St. Joseph's Church in New Rochelle. I know how the Catholic Church is about releasing any information so I haven't bothered writing them. Anyone have any luck getting any information from the Catholic Church?

Judy
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

jcsm400 wrote:Hi Judy,

I'm so sorry that your research is not progressing & your hitting the inferno brick wall! I really think that we can knok it it down....at else give it one _ _ ll of a try!

I'm rereading this post & will be posting a summary, hopefully soon.....I'm trying to find "new" directions & will be asking you to try different things. I'm sure I'll have questions for you, too.If you have already tried one of my suggestions, just let me know.

jcsm
Thanks jcsm....I was so sure I would get some helpful information from the cemetary and funeral home. Everything they told me I already knew. I was so disappointed after being told by my son's mother-in-law all this information they would have. I thought for sure they would tell me where in Italy my grandparents came from at the very least, but all they had in the records was Italy. They told me the year of their births, but we know how that is going? We have a few years when they were born. The application to become a citizen may be of my grandmother since I don't find another Domenico living in New Rochelle back then. Domenico is this application I have was 27 in 1900. If my math is right he would have been born in 1872 which is what the census states. I don't know who Nicola Colombo would have been. Maybe a brother or cousin? There was a Nicola on the ship with Michael and Carmella for whatever it's worth.

Judy
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by wldspirit »

I have never had a problem with the parish priest....I think it is worth a shot, it's not as if you are a total stranger asking for info.......you are a blood relative.
wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Judy,

Like Lisa, I haven't had any problems getting information from Catholic Churches in the States. Ask for the marriage record, not the certificate, same for birth records for their children....key is "record" not certificate.

Have a volunteer checking death info for Carmella & Michele in Fairfield county, CT.....she can't get to it til end of Oct, but is willing to check public records there.....will post if & when, I get any information.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

wldspirit wrote:I have never had a problem with the parish priest....I think it is worth a shot, it's not as if you are a total stranger asking for info.......you are a blood relative.
wldspirit
I'll write to both churches this weekend. Wish me luck. Hopefully they have something that I don't already know. I'll have to see if they have an email address, if not, it's the good old slow mail. I have to say that both the funeral home and cemetary in New York got back to me amazingly fast.

Judy
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

jcsm400 wrote:Hi Judy,

Like Lisa, I haven't had any problems getting information from Catholic Churches in the States. Ask for the marriage record, not the certificate, same for birth records for their children....key is "record" not certificate.

Have a volunteer checking death info for Carmella & Michele in Fairfield county, CT.....she can't get to it til end of Oct, but is willing to check public records there.....will post if & when, I get any information.

jcsm
Thank you so much for finding a volunteer checking on the Tinto's death in Fairfield. Those two were here so they have to be buried somewhere. With the family in the United States, my thought is that they are buried in the states. New York or Connecticut is my guess. I never did find out one single thing about Matteo Colombo and Maria Vaccaro my paternal grandparents. I'm hoping with the email I send out this weekend, I'll learn something about them.

Judy
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Judy,

You're welcome. Keep your fingers crossed that she finds the information.

You're right. We concentrated so much on the Tinto family & your grandparents, Dominick & Angelina Colombo that we forgot about your great grandparents.

Did Matteo & Maria come to the States? Do you know if they had any other children?

Quick ancestry check: Matthew Colombo b. 1875 Italy living in Manhattan in 1900, immigrated 1888. Possible brother to Dominick?

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

jcsm400 wrote:Hi Judy,

You're welcome. Keep your fingers crossed that she finds the information.

You're right. We concentrated so much on the Tinto family & your grandparents, Dominick & Angelina Colombo that we forgot about your great grandparents.

Did Matteo & Maria come to the States? Do you know if they had any other children?

Quick ancestry check: Matthew Colombo b. 1875 Italy living in Manhattan in 1900, immigrated 1888. Possible brother to Dominick?

jcsm

It's been even harder to find any information on my Colombo great grandparents. I know nothing about them and can't find anything on them. I'm really bad about expanding my search outside of New York because of my thinking that families lived close together back then. I was surprised to learn that my great grandmother Carmalla Tinto lived in Fairfield Ct with her son according to the 30s census. Then again, Fairfield is not far away from New Rochelle, New York. Maybe an hour or so drive. What I do know is that my grandmother Angelina Tinto had a sister and her obituary gave Mrs Nicholas Vaccaro as her name. Vaccaro was my great grandmother on my fathers side maiden name, Maria Vaccaro. Maybe she married a brother of my great grandmother Colombo? Also, if I got the right Citizen of Petition papers of my grandfather Domenico, and I can't find any other Domenico living in New Rochelle at that time except for my dad Domenick Jr, there is a Nicalo or Nicolo listed. I'm assuming this is Nicholas in Italian?

Since my grandfather Colombo came to the United States when he was under 18 according to the Citizen petition and his obituary, wouldn't he have to be traveling with a parent since he was a minor?

It's time for work. I'll be back later.

Judy
Post Reply