Hello:
I have a question about names and experience with them. I know that I need to talk to the consulate to make sure. This is going to be done once I get a hold of someone. But in the meantime...my main question is the following:
My great-grandfather's birth name on his Italian birth certificate was Laibac. However, on all documents after this (marriage license, WWI Draft Card, death certificate) was Laibacco. (Not to mention it was Lybeck or some variant of this spelling on the census records)
This to me seems like a "major" error and seems that it would require modification of the documents themselves, rather then consulate allowing them to go through without problems. Could anyone out there comment on similar experiences? Would this seem to be a time where the documents would need to be corrected?
Thank you.
Jacob
Italian Birth Name different then American Name
Re: Italian Birth Name different then American Name
Hi Jacob,
Here in the USA many names were Americanized such as Giuseppe become Joseph; Francesco becoming Frank or Francis.
I wouldn't worry too much as long as you have the documentation to prove your ancestor such as birth, marriage, and death records.
Here is a check list that could help.
Paternal Grandfather’s Birth Certificate from Italy………...check
Paternal Grandfather’s Marriage Certificate from Italy……check
Paternal Grandfather’s Naturalization Papers………………check
Paternal Grandfather’s Death Certificate....................check
Father’s Birth Certificate………………………..check
Father’s Marriage Certificate………………..check
Father’s Death Certificate................check
My Birth Certificate, long form……………………………check
My Marriage Certificate……………………………………check
Valid State issued picture ID…………………………….…check
My Minor son’s Birth Certificate, long form………….check
Valid State issued picture ID……………………….…….check
All USA Records should have an Apostille Seal.
An Apostille is the authentication of a public officials signature and once the signature is verified an Apostille is placed on the document verifying that the signature has been authenticated.
I hope this helps some,
Trish
Here in the USA many names were Americanized such as Giuseppe become Joseph; Francesco becoming Frank or Francis.
I wouldn't worry too much as long as you have the documentation to prove your ancestor such as birth, marriage, and death records.
Here is a check list that could help.
Paternal Grandfather’s Birth Certificate from Italy………...check
Paternal Grandfather’s Marriage Certificate from Italy……check
Paternal Grandfather’s Naturalization Papers………………check
Paternal Grandfather’s Death Certificate....................check
Father’s Birth Certificate………………………..check
Father’s Marriage Certificate………………..check
Father’s Death Certificate................check
My Birth Certificate, long form……………………………check
My Marriage Certificate……………………………………check
Valid State issued picture ID…………………………….…check
My Minor son’s Birth Certificate, long form………….check
Valid State issued picture ID……………………….…….check
All USA Records should have an Apostille Seal.
An Apostille is the authentication of a public officials signature and once the signature is verified an Apostille is placed on the document verifying that the signature has been authenticated.
I hope this helps some,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Re: Italian Birth Name different then American Name
Thank you very much. 

