I have the surname of the noble family Graffeo!!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: I have the surname of the noble family Graffeo!!

Post by nuccia »

Its no trouble at all..I offered to help.. :D

Here it is: I found it earlier but it says he was an insurance agent so I wasn't sure whether to post it or not.

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Record
about J V Graffeo
Name: J V Graffeo
City: Fort Worth
County: Tarrant
State: Texas
BirthPlace: Texas;United States of America
Birth Date: Dec 19 1893
Race: Caucasian
Roll: 1953359
DraftBoard: 2

J V Graffeo Draft Cards

nuccia
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: I have the surname of the noble family Graffeo!!

Post by nuccia »

Would this be your Joe in the 1930 Census?

1930 United States Federal Census Record
about Joe Graffeo
Name: Joe Graffeo
Home in 1930: Dallas, Dallas, Texas
Age: 37
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1893
BirthPlace: Texas
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouses's Name: Grnave
Race: White
Occupation:

Education:

Military Service:

Rent Home Value:

Age at First Marriage:

Parents' Birthplace:

View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Joe Graffeo 37
Grnave Graffeo 27
Genevieve Graffeo 9
George Graffeo 7
Joe Graffeo 3 2/12

1930 Census

nuccia
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: I have the surname of the noble family Graffeo!!

Post by nuccia »

Possible manifest??? States he's a barber and last residence is Piano.

New Orleans Passenger Lists, 1820-1945 Record
about Guiseppe Graffeo
Name: Guiseppe Graffeo
Arrival Date: 22 Nov 1895
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Montebello
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Last Residence: Piano
National Archives' Series Number: M259_81

Manifest
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: I have the surname of the noble family Graffeo!!

Post by nuccia »

More bits and pieces..

Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997 Record
about Genevieve Graffee
Name: Genevieve Graffee
Date of Birth: 3 May 1956
Gender: Female
Birth County: Dallas
Father's Name: Joseph Victor Graffeo JR.
Mother's Name: Margaret Jane Dunn
Roll Number: 1956_0006

Click Here

Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997 Record
about Francis David Graffeo
Name: Francis David Graffeo
Date of Birth: 7 Feb 1961
Gender: Male
Birth County: Dallas
Father's Name: Joseph Victor Graffeo JR.
Mother's Name: Margaret Jane Dunn
Roll Number: 1961_0006

Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997 Record
about Stephen Paul Graffeo
Name: Stephen Paul Graffeo
Date of Birth: 24 Sep 1963
Gender: Male
Birth County: Dallas
Father's Name: Joseph Victor Graffeo JR.
Mother's Name: Margaret Jane Dunn
Roll Number: 1963_0006


Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997 Record
about Joseph Victor JR. Graffeo
Name: Joseph Victor JR. Graffeo
Date of Birth: 3 Dec 1927
Gender: Male
Birth County: Tarrant
Father's Name: Joseph Victor Graffeo
Mother's Name: Geneva Estella Swink
Roll Number: 1927_0003

U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 Record
about Joseph V Graffeo Jr
Name: Joseph V Graffeo Jr
Birth Year: 1926
Race: White, citizen
Nativity State or Country: Texas
State: Texas

Enlistment Date: 19 Mar 1945
Enlistment State: Texas
Enlistment City: Fort Sam Houston
Branch: Air Corps
Branch Code: Air Corps
Grade Code: Private
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Component: Reserves - exclusive of Regular Army Reserve and Officers of the Officers Reserve Corps on active duty under the Thomason Act (Officers and Enlisted Men -- O.R.C. and E.R.C., and Nurses-Reserve Status)
Source: Enlisted Reserve or Medical Administrative Corps (MAC) Officer

Education: 3 years of high school
Civil Occupation: Student Codes 0x, 2x, 4x and 6x as pertain to students will be converted, for machine records purposes, to the code number 992.
Marital Status: Single, without dependents
Height: 00
Weight: 660

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
Graffeo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 82
Joined: 05 Oct 2006, 00:00
Location: Cedar Hill, TX

Re: I have the surname of the noble family Graffeo!!

Post by Graffeo »

Well too cool I see my grandfather J.V. Graffeo the insurance salesman, his second son Joe Jr and his kids.

Sort of touching to see the draft card registration. Nice handwriting...looks so clean and young.

But I don't think Giuseppe the barber is my great grandfather because he is 57 already with no kids. Boo Hoo! I really do not think great grandpa is on that site.

But thanks to you I have accurate information and dates to take to the Mormon Center near me to follow the trail. Bless you and thank you very much.
User avatar
Graffeo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 82
Joined: 05 Oct 2006, 00:00
Location: Cedar Hill, TX

Re: I have the surname of the noble family Graffeo!!

Post by Graffeo »

I am adding this bit of information to the record for anyone else who may come here to research the origin of the surname Graffeo. Yes, there is the noble family of the Graffeos of Sicily, that is one source of the name but it could have a source as an occupational name too.

From the Dictionary of Surnames: Graffeo -Southern Italian: variant spelling of Grafeo, an occupational name, from Greek grapheus ‘scribe’.


Description of the work of scribes in Athens:
Gr. ØpogrammateÚj. In the classic Atene he was the “undersecretaryâ€Â
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: I have the surname of the noble family Graffeo!!

Post by nuccia »

Good luck Graffeo and keep us posted on you progress.

Let us know if you need anything else.

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
Grafinator
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 19 Feb 2007, 00:00
Location: Boston

Re: I have the surname of the noble family Graffeo!!

Post by Grafinator »

HI.
I'm very new on this site, and not too sure how to use it. I may or may not be able to find your reply , so I'm giving you my email Grafinator@yahoo.com.

My name is Joseph Angelo Graffeo and. I'm from Boston and I read your message regarding the Graffeo royalty. I have some info. MY father gave me most of this info, but I do have some documented facts to back up some of it. The Graffeo's do indeed come from royal blood. I am a direct descendant of the last of the royalty.

My family has letters which came from Sicily, just before World War 2. They requested for my Uncle (father's brother) Francisco PauoloGraffeo to come and claim the castle and all bank asset.My family sent over my aunt's husband ( a brother in law) because he was educated. Unfotunately, My uncle Paul had to claim the land himself.My uncle at the time was unfortunatelywas in prison and couldn't claim the land.FRom what I was told, we lost everything to the facist.

The last of the royalty was a duke (we have in his sword and his shoulder straps)My great grandfather was the son of the duke (Francisco Pauolo Graffeo)FRom what I was told he had to escape to America bringing with him his family. (my grandfather Guiseppi)

Before the Mafia became active in Sicily, there was an organization made up of the wealthy and the nobles. It was call the "Black Hand". It was organized to keep the peasants in line.MY greatgrandfather was a member.

As time went on, the peasants grew more powerfull and out numbered the wealthy.That was the time my great grandfather had to leave. My father said, he was never sure exactly why they had to flee.

Are you aware of the fact, there is the Graffeo Castle in Partanna Sicily?

I saw it in 1974, you could see the family coat of arms still on the wall of the chapel. The man who took me there,said" theGraffeos owned everthingas far as your eyes could see".

If your name is Graffeo,you are probably related to the royalty somewhere down the line.The Graffeo's didn't lend their name to anyone and remember, the peasants hated all wealthy and nobles and would be too proud to take a name which was nor theirs.

If you like to see a picture of the castle, do a Google search of Graffeo Castle + Partanna.You will also get some family history.

I down loaded a page which is in Italian (I'm in the process of getting it translated)It seems to be the total history of either the Graffeo's or the castle. I saw my uncle's name there and the year 1941. Thats about all I could understand.

While I was in Sicily, I was also told,that the story of Romero and Juliet was based on a true freud envolving the Graffeo's. I took that info with a grain of salt, but who knows, maybe its true.

Well, thats about it for now, if have any info to either acknowledge or denythis info, please send it along.

Joe
Post Reply