Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
SUMMARY:
Maternal g. grandparents:
Michael Tinto (probable name change from Trinchitello (Sp?) b. abt. 1858 IT d. UNKNOWN, married @ 27 (abt. 1885), arrived in States 1885, Parents: UNKNOWN b. Italy
+ Carmellla De Vito b. abt. 1865 IT d. UNKNOWN, Parents: UNKNOWN b. Italy
1. Charles b.2//7/1886 NY or IT
2. Angelina b. 2/22/1888 IT (place of birth per 1910, 1920, 1930) d. 10/2/1947 New
Rochelle, NY, married Dominick Colombo (see below)
3. Nicholas b. 6/4/1888 NY (per census & WWI)
4. Samuel b. 1/18/1891 NY (same)
5. Unknown Sister (per Angelina’s obit, married a Nicholas Colombo, residing in New Rochelle (added 9/30), NY in 1947.
Posted Records:
WWI Draft Cards for Nicholas, Samuel, Charles
1910 & 1920 in New Rochelle, 1930 (Carmella a widow, living with son Charles in Newtown, Fairfield, CT)
Manifests: Manifest ( for name spelling) Matteo Tinchitello(sp?)1890
Manifest Jan. 14, 1890 on the SS Elysia, a Michael Trinchitello (sp?), a Carmela DeVito with possible Trinchitello children, Angela 8, Felicia 6, Rosario 3, & infant Nicola (Note: separate listings for children & infants)
TOWN OF INTEREST: Sala-Consilino
Michael Tinto Naturalization information
NOTE: no 1900 found to date.
Paternal g. grandparents
Matteo Colombo (possible name change to< from? per poster) b. Italy + Maria Vaccaro b. Italy
All other information UNKNOWN
Grandparents:
Domenico (Dominick) Colombo b. +/- 4/26/1872 IT d. 1/11/1950 New Rochelle, NY
+ Angelina Tinto (see above)
1. Michael b. 1898/1901 NY 7. Nicholas b. 1913 NY
2. Mary b. 1902 NY 8. John Diego b. 1918 NY
3. Martin (Matteo) b. 1903NY 9. Louis b. 1921 NY
4. Nina (Neria?) b. 1909 NY 10. Eugene b. 1924 NY
5. Joseph b. 1911 NY 11. Millie b. After 1930 ?
6. Dominick b. 1912 NY 12. Unknown b. after 1930?
NOTES: Angelina Tinto & Domenico Colombo married 11/4/1901 in New Rochelle (info from Angelina’s obit, record not found) & 1910 census shows them married 14 years (=1896). No 1900 census found to date.
Per poster, surname may have been changed
Posted records:
1910, 1920, 1930 census, residing in New Rocelle, NY
Manifest: Domenico (Calumbo, Colombo, Palumbo) 9/24/1898 “SS Alesiaâ€Â
Maternal g. grandparents:
Michael Tinto (probable name change from Trinchitello (Sp?) b. abt. 1858 IT d. UNKNOWN, married @ 27 (abt. 1885), arrived in States 1885, Parents: UNKNOWN b. Italy
+ Carmellla De Vito b. abt. 1865 IT d. UNKNOWN, Parents: UNKNOWN b. Italy
1. Charles b.2//7/1886 NY or IT
2. Angelina b. 2/22/1888 IT (place of birth per 1910, 1920, 1930) d. 10/2/1947 New
Rochelle, NY, married Dominick Colombo (see below)
3. Nicholas b. 6/4/1888 NY (per census & WWI)
4. Samuel b. 1/18/1891 NY (same)
5. Unknown Sister (per Angelina’s obit, married a Nicholas Colombo, residing in New Rochelle (added 9/30), NY in 1947.
Posted Records:
WWI Draft Cards for Nicholas, Samuel, Charles
1910 & 1920 in New Rochelle, 1930 (Carmella a widow, living with son Charles in Newtown, Fairfield, CT)
Manifests: Manifest ( for name spelling) Matteo Tinchitello(sp?)1890
Manifest Jan. 14, 1890 on the SS Elysia, a Michael Trinchitello (sp?), a Carmela DeVito with possible Trinchitello children, Angela 8, Felicia 6, Rosario 3, & infant Nicola (Note: separate listings for children & infants)
TOWN OF INTEREST: Sala-Consilino
Michael Tinto Naturalization information
NOTE: no 1900 found to date.
Paternal g. grandparents
Matteo Colombo (possible name change to< from? per poster) b. Italy + Maria Vaccaro b. Italy
All other information UNKNOWN
Grandparents:
Domenico (Dominick) Colombo b. +/- 4/26/1872 IT d. 1/11/1950 New Rochelle, NY
+ Angelina Tinto (see above)
1. Michael b. 1898/1901 NY 7. Nicholas b. 1913 NY
2. Mary b. 1902 NY 8. John Diego b. 1918 NY
3. Martin (Matteo) b. 1903NY 9. Louis b. 1921 NY
4. Nina (Neria?) b. 1909 NY 10. Eugene b. 1924 NY
5. Joseph b. 1911 NY 11. Millie b. After 1930 ?
6. Dominick b. 1912 NY 12. Unknown b. after 1930?
NOTES: Angelina Tinto & Domenico Colombo married 11/4/1901 in New Rochelle (info from Angelina’s obit, record not found) & 1910 census shows them married 14 years (=1896). No 1900 census found to date.
Per poster, surname may have been changed
Posted records:
1910, 1920, 1930 census, residing in New Rocelle, NY
Manifest: Domenico (Calumbo, Colombo, Palumbo) 9/24/1898 “SS Alesiaâ€Â
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
[quote="jcsm400"]SUMMARY:
Maternal g. grandparents:
Michael Tinto (probable name change from Trinchitello (Sp?) b. abt. 1858 IT d. UNKNOWN, married @ 27 (abt. 1885), arrived in States 1885, Parents: UNKNOWN b. Italy
+ Carmellla De Vito b. abt. 1865 IT d. UNKNOWN, Parents: UNKNOWN b. Italy
1. Charles b.2//7/1886 NY or IT
2. Angelina b. 2/22/1888 IT (place of birth per 1910, 1920, 1930) d. 10/2/1947 New
Rochelle, NY, married Dominick Colombo (see below)
3. Nicholas b. 6/4/1888 NY (per census & WWI)
4. Samuel b. 1/18/1891 NY (same)
5. Unknown Sister (per Angelina’s obit, married a Nicholas Colombo, residing in NY
in 1947.
Posted Records:
WWI Draft Cards for Nicholas, Samuel, Charles
1910 & 1920 in New Rochelle, 1930 (Carmella a widow, living with son Charles in Newtown, Fairfield, CT)
Manifests: Manifest ( for name spelling) Matteo Tinchitello(sp?)1890
Manifest Jan. 14, 1890 on the SS Elysia, a Michael Trinchitello (sp?), a Carmela DeVito with possible Trinchitello children, Angela 8, Felicia 6, Rosario 3, & infant Nicola (Note: separate listings for children & infants)
TOWN OF INTEREST: Sala-Consilino
Michael Tinto Naturalization information
NOTE: no 1900 found to date.
Paternal g. grandparents
Matteo Colombo (possible name change to< from? per poster) b. Italy + Maria Vaccaro b. Italy
All other information UNKNOWN
Grandparents:
Domenico (Dominick) Colombo b. +/- 4/26/1872 IT d. 1/11/1950 New Rochelle, NY
+ Angelina Tinto (see above)
1. Michael b. 1898/1901 NY 7. Nicholas b. 1913 NY
2. Mary b. 1902 NY 8. John Diego b. 1918 NY
3. Martin (Matteo) b. 1903NY 9. Louis b. 1921 NY
4. Nina (Neria?) b. 1909 NY 10. Eugene b. 1924 NY
5. Joseph b. 1911 NY 11. Millie b. After 1930 ?
6. Dominick b. 1912 NY 12. Unknown b. after 1930?
NOTES: Angelina Tinto & Domenico Colombo married 11/4/1901 in New Rochelle (info from Angelina’s obit, record not found) & 1910 census shows them married 14 years (=1896). No 1900 census found to date.
Per poster, surname may have been changed
Posted records:
1910, 1920, 1930 census, residing in New Rocelle, NY
Manifest: Domenico (Calumbo, Colombo, Palumbo) 9/24/1898 “SS Alesiaâ€Â
Maternal g. grandparents:
Michael Tinto (probable name change from Trinchitello (Sp?) b. abt. 1858 IT d. UNKNOWN, married @ 27 (abt. 1885), arrived in States 1885, Parents: UNKNOWN b. Italy
+ Carmellla De Vito b. abt. 1865 IT d. UNKNOWN, Parents: UNKNOWN b. Italy
1. Charles b.2//7/1886 NY or IT
2. Angelina b. 2/22/1888 IT (place of birth per 1910, 1920, 1930) d. 10/2/1947 New
Rochelle, NY, married Dominick Colombo (see below)
3. Nicholas b. 6/4/1888 NY (per census & WWI)
4. Samuel b. 1/18/1891 NY (same)
5. Unknown Sister (per Angelina’s obit, married a Nicholas Colombo, residing in NY
in 1947.
Posted Records:
WWI Draft Cards for Nicholas, Samuel, Charles
1910 & 1920 in New Rochelle, 1930 (Carmella a widow, living with son Charles in Newtown, Fairfield, CT)
Manifests: Manifest ( for name spelling) Matteo Tinchitello(sp?)1890
Manifest Jan. 14, 1890 on the SS Elysia, a Michael Trinchitello (sp?), a Carmela DeVito with possible Trinchitello children, Angela 8, Felicia 6, Rosario 3, & infant Nicola (Note: separate listings for children & infants)
TOWN OF INTEREST: Sala-Consilino
Michael Tinto Naturalization information
NOTE: no 1900 found to date.
Paternal g. grandparents
Matteo Colombo (possible name change to< from? per poster) b. Italy + Maria Vaccaro b. Italy
All other information UNKNOWN
Grandparents:
Domenico (Dominick) Colombo b. +/- 4/26/1872 IT d. 1/11/1950 New Rochelle, NY
+ Angelina Tinto (see above)
1. Michael b. 1898/1901 NY 7. Nicholas b. 1913 NY
2. Mary b. 1902 NY 8. John Diego b. 1918 NY
3. Martin (Matteo) b. 1903NY 9. Louis b. 1921 NY
4. Nina (Neria?) b. 1909 NY 10. Eugene b. 1924 NY
5. Joseph b. 1911 NY 11. Millie b. After 1930 ?
6. Dominick b. 1912 NY 12. Unknown b. after 1930?
NOTES: Angelina Tinto & Domenico Colombo married 11/4/1901 in New Rochelle (info from Angelina’s obit, record not found) & 1910 census shows them married 14 years (=1896). No 1900 census found to date.
Per poster, surname may have been changed
Posted records:
1910, 1920, 1930 census, residing in New Rocelle, NY
Manifest: Domenico (Calumbo, Colombo, Palumbo) 9/24/1898 “SS Alesiaâ€Â
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
Judy,
Thanks.
Just a suggestion, but I would really recommend getting as many birth & death records as you can on the Tontos' & Colombos' from New Rochelle's town clerk, hoping that parents birth town is listed. Another avenue is property deeds, If they bought property prior to becoming a citizen, the deed may show the town.....long shot, but keep it in mind. Michael's naturalization record may not list this information, but you never know,
Keep us posted.
Joyce
Thanks.
Just a suggestion, but I would really recommend getting as many birth & death records as you can on the Tontos' & Colombos' from New Rochelle's town clerk, hoping that parents birth town is listed. Another avenue is property deeds, If they bought property prior to becoming a citizen, the deed may show the town.....long shot, but keep it in mind. Michael's naturalization record may not list this information, but you never know,
Keep us posted.
Joyce
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
Joyce, today I emailed a couple of the places that were mentioned here. I have yet to hear from them and will let you know if and when I do. I'll be writing to the Catholic churches in New Rochelle this weekend. I don't know if we ever found anything that said Michael became a citizen but I will send for the birth and death certificates of some of the children. I know that the Colombo children were born in New Rochelle but not sure about the Tinto children. We know that they changed their last names later in life but don't know the name that they were born with so their birth certificates may be hard to get. I'll try though. Maria believes that my family came from Bonefro and is researching there for me. If not there my thoughts are Naples since it's the only place I remember hearing my father mention. I'll keep you posted. My search goes on.jcsm400 wrote:Judy,
Thanks.
Just a suggestion, but I would really recommend getting as many birth & death records as you can on the Tontos' & Colombos' from New Rochelle's town clerk, hoping that parents birth town is listed. Another avenue is property deeds, If they bought property prior to becoming a citizen, the deed may show the town.....long shot, but keep it in mind. Michael's naturalization record may not list this information, but you never know,
Keep us posted.
Joyce
Judy
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
Hi Judy,wldspirit wrote:I agree......name changed to Tinto??Am I reading "Tinchiletta, Michele"?? Opinions needed...
found this for Westchester.........
TINCHETTELLA MICHELE Petition ca. 1900-1901 A-0036(5)
TINCHETTELLA MICHELE Petition 1901 A-0140(38)L[F2]
wldspirit
Here is the information posted on Michael's naturalization record.
Keeping my fingers crossed that something will have town of origin on it!
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
dup of above
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
[quote="jcsm400"]SUMMARY:
Maternal g. grandparents:
Michael Tinto (probable name change from Trinchitello (Sp?) b. abt. 1858 IT d. UNKNOWN, married @ 27 (abt. 1885), arrived in States 1885, Parents: UNKNOWN b. Italy
+ Carmellla De Vito b. abt. 1865 IT d. UNKNOWN, Parents: UNKNOWN b. Italy
1. Charles b.2//7/1886 NY or IT
2. Angelina b. 2/22/1888 IT (place of birth per 1910, 1920, 1930) d. 10/2/1947 New
Rochelle, NY, married Dominick Colombo (see below)
3. Nicholas b. 6/4/1888 NY (per census & WWI)
4. Samuel b. 1/18/1891 NY (same)
5. Unknown Sister (per Angelina’s obit, married a Nicholas Colombo, residing in NY
in 1947.
Posted Records:
WWI Draft Cards for Nicholas, Samuel, Charles
1910 & 1920 in New Rochelle, 1930 (Carmella a widow, living with son Charles in Newtown, Fairfield, CT)
Manifests: Manifest ( for name spelling) Matteo Tinchitello(sp?)1890
Manifest Jan. 14, 1890 on the SS Elysia, a Michael Trinchitello (sp?), a Carmela DeVito with possible Trinchitello children, Angela 8, Felicia 6, Rosario 3, & infant Nicola (Note: separate listings for children & infants)
TOWN OF INTEREST: Sala-Consilino
Michael Tinto Naturalization information
NOTE: no 1900 found to date.
Paternal g. grandparents
Matteo Colombo (possible name change to< from? per poster) b. Italy + Maria Vaccaro b. Italy
All other information UNKNOWN
Grandparents:
Domenico (Dominick) Colombo b. +/- 4/26/1872 IT d. 1/11/1950 New Rochelle, NY
+ Angelina Tinto (see above)
1. Michael b. 1898/1901 NY 7. Nicholas b. 1913 NY
2. Mary b. 1902 NY 8. John Diego b. 1918 NY
3. Martin (Matteo) b. 1903NY 9. Louis b. 1921 NY
4. Nina (Neria?) b. 1909 NY 10. Eugene b. 1924 NY
5. Joseph b. 1911 NY 11. Millie b. After 1930 ?
6. Dominick b. 1912 NY 12. Unknown b. after 1930?
NOTES: Angelina Tinto & Domenico Colombo married 11/4/1901 in New Rochelle (info from Angelina’s obit, record not found) & 1910 census shows them married 14 years (=1896). No 1900 census found to date.
Per poster, surname may have been changed
Posted records:
1910, 1920, 1930 census, residing in New Rocelle, NY
Manifest: Domenico (Calumbo, Colombo, Palumbo) 9/24/1898 “SS Alesiaâ€Â
Maternal g. grandparents:
Michael Tinto (probable name change from Trinchitello (Sp?) b. abt. 1858 IT d. UNKNOWN, married @ 27 (abt. 1885), arrived in States 1885, Parents: UNKNOWN b. Italy
+ Carmellla De Vito b. abt. 1865 IT d. UNKNOWN, Parents: UNKNOWN b. Italy
1. Charles b.2//7/1886 NY or IT
2. Angelina b. 2/22/1888 IT (place of birth per 1910, 1920, 1930) d. 10/2/1947 New
Rochelle, NY, married Dominick Colombo (see below)
3. Nicholas b. 6/4/1888 NY (per census & WWI)
4. Samuel b. 1/18/1891 NY (same)
5. Unknown Sister (per Angelina’s obit, married a Nicholas Colombo, residing in NY
in 1947.
Posted Records:
WWI Draft Cards for Nicholas, Samuel, Charles
1910 & 1920 in New Rochelle, 1930 (Carmella a widow, living with son Charles in Newtown, Fairfield, CT)
Manifests: Manifest ( for name spelling) Matteo Tinchitello(sp?)1890
Manifest Jan. 14, 1890 on the SS Elysia, a Michael Trinchitello (sp?), a Carmela DeVito with possible Trinchitello children, Angela 8, Felicia 6, Rosario 3, & infant Nicola (Note: separate listings for children & infants)
TOWN OF INTEREST: Sala-Consilino
Michael Tinto Naturalization information
NOTE: no 1900 found to date.
Paternal g. grandparents
Matteo Colombo (possible name change to< from? per poster) b. Italy + Maria Vaccaro b. Italy
All other information UNKNOWN
Grandparents:
Domenico (Dominick) Colombo b. +/- 4/26/1872 IT d. 1/11/1950 New Rochelle, NY
+ Angelina Tinto (see above)
1. Michael b. 1898/1901 NY 7. Nicholas b. 1913 NY
2. Mary b. 1902 NY 8. John Diego b. 1918 NY
3. Martin (Matteo) b. 1903NY 9. Louis b. 1921 NY
4. Nina (Neria?) b. 1909 NY 10. Eugene b. 1924 NY
5. Joseph b. 1911 NY 11. Millie b. After 1930 ?
6. Dominick b. 1912 NY 12. Unknown b. after 1930?
NOTES: Angelina Tinto & Domenico Colombo married 11/4/1901 in New Rochelle (info from Angelina’s obit, record not found) & 1910 census shows them married 14 years (=1896). No 1900 census found to date.
Per poster, surname may have been changed
Posted records:
1910, 1920, 1930 census, residing in New Rocelle, NY
Manifest: Domenico (Calumbo, Colombo, Palumbo) 9/24/1898 “SS Alesiaâ€Â
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
My grandmothers maiden name was definitely Tinto. We are getting the name change fromt the census. We just can't seem to be sure of the correct spelling of it. I have all set to be mailed tomorrow, Michele Tinchettella's Petition. I'm hoping this is my great grandfather and it will unlock some of the mystery.jcsm400 wrote:Hi Judy,wldspirit wrote:I agree......name changed to Tinto??Am I reading "Tinchiletta, Michele"?? Opinions needed...
found this for Westchester.........
TINCHETTELLA MICHELE Petition ca. 1900-1901 A-0036(5)
TINCHETTELLA MICHELE Petition 1901 A-0140(38)L[F2]
wldspirit
Here is the information posted on Michael's naturalization record.
Keeping my fingers crossed that something will have town of origin on it!
Joyce
Judy
- andcolella
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 03 Nov 2006, 00:00
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
Judy
you should try to focus your search in Bonefro (Campobasso, Italy).
www.comune.bonefro.cb.it. My wife (Angelina Colombo) was born and lived for 25 years in New Rochelle, NY. Her mother's last name is Vaccaro and 25% of the population in Bonefro share the same last name, while 25% of it is Colombo. As far as I know, the Bonefro community in New Rochelle (especially in the 50s) was huge (my in-laws arrived in the late 60s).
you should try to focus your search in Bonefro (Campobasso, Italy).
www.comune.bonefro.cb.it. My wife (Angelina Colombo) was born and lived for 25 years in New Rochelle, NY. Her mother's last name is Vaccaro and 25% of the population in Bonefro share the same last name, while 25% of it is Colombo. As far as I know, the Bonefro community in New Rochelle (especially in the 50s) was huge (my in-laws arrived in the late 60s).
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
andcolella wrote:Judy
you should try to focus your search in Bonefro (Campobasso, Italy).
www.comune.bonefro.cb.it. My wife (Angelina Colombo) was born and lived for 25 years in New Rochelle, NY. Her mother's last name is Vaccaro and 25% of the population in Bonefro share the same last name, while 25% of it is Colombo. As far as I know, the Bonefro community in New Rochelle (especially in the 50s) was huge (my in-laws arrived in the late 60s).
Thanks for responding, andcolella.
Another woman that posted here thought that it was a good possibility that my family came from Bonefro. She has been helping me research it but so far, we haven't come up with anything solid.
It seems like all the Italians in New Rochelle knew one another back then and I remember that my mother told me that my father had a lot of cousins living in the area that he didn't know. Since you wife's last name was Colombo and her mothers last name name is Vaccaro, do you think that her family and my family could be somehow related? I'm sure that you read in my previous post that my grandfather Domenico Colombo's mothers last name was Colombo and his mothers last name was Vaccaro.
I know that your inlaw arrived later then my family but I wonder if there could be a connection?
Judy
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
To everyone that has helped me here, I just wanted to update you where I'm at. I wrote to Italy as suggested via email and got no response. I also wrote via snail main to the two churches in New Rochelle that I know my ancesters attended on a regular basis sending a self addressed stamped envelope. It's been over a month now and I have yet to get a response which kind of disappointed me. Since I sent the self addressed stamped envelope I thought that even if they couldn't or wouldn't tell me about my family, they would have written me to let me know.
On the positive side, I did get my great grandfather, Michele Tinchettella/Tinto (or I hope it's his) application to become a citizen. The spelling on the application if correct is Tinchettella. In one place it looked like the name could look like an o but in all other places it's definitely Tinchettella. What does confuse me is that like my grandfather Domenico Colombo (or what I believe or hope is his application) application, it reads that both came over when they were under 18. It says that he came over in 1882 while my grandfather Colombo came over in 1890. Michele Tinchettella sponsor was Antonio Belleizze and I did find them on one of the census all living on the same street.
I still can't find any come over on a ship except for the one that I found with Michele Tinchettella coming over with a Carmella De Vito. I can't remember where I found it but I'm hoping that I saved it over on ancestry. What confused me about that listing is that I don't know who the Tinchitella children were on the ship or who were they were with. I'm assuming it was my great grandparents since they had the same last name. My grandmother Angelina was not listed as one of the children all the there was an Angela listed. As for the other kids, I don't think there ages were a good match with the brothers that my grandmother had that the census says were born here.
The other thing I did was pay a fee to a lady (and I'm hoping that she is legit) that lives in upstate New York not far from the archives. She was supposed to go on Thursday to look up my grandparents and parents wedding date. I haven't heard from her yet so hopefully, she has just been busy.
I just wanted to touch base.
Judy
On the positive side, I did get my great grandfather, Michele Tinchettella/Tinto (or I hope it's his) application to become a citizen. The spelling on the application if correct is Tinchettella. In one place it looked like the name could look like an o but in all other places it's definitely Tinchettella. What does confuse me is that like my grandfather Domenico Colombo (or what I believe or hope is his application) application, it reads that both came over when they were under 18. It says that he came over in 1882 while my grandfather Colombo came over in 1890. Michele Tinchettella sponsor was Antonio Belleizze and I did find them on one of the census all living on the same street.
I still can't find any come over on a ship except for the one that I found with Michele Tinchettella coming over with a Carmella De Vito. I can't remember where I found it but I'm hoping that I saved it over on ancestry. What confused me about that listing is that I don't know who the Tinchitella children were on the ship or who were they were with. I'm assuming it was my great grandparents since they had the same last name. My grandmother Angelina was not listed as one of the children all the there was an Angela listed. As for the other kids, I don't think there ages were a good match with the brothers that my grandmother had that the census says were born here.
The other thing I did was pay a fee to a lady (and I'm hoping that she is legit) that lives in upstate New York not far from the archives. She was supposed to go on Thursday to look up my grandparents and parents wedding date. I haven't heard from her yet so hopefully, she has just been busy.
I just wanted to touch base.
Judy
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
Hello! My name is Kerry and I live in New Milford Ct. I found this chat through googling my grandmother's maiden name-Tinto. I had read an obituary for her brother Charles Tinto(90) who lived in Maine. Ithink we're related VERY distantly. I know nothing of my gram's family except her parents names Charles Tinto and Aino(Lunki) Tinto. I'd love to chat more if you have time. Please e-mail me or reply here. Thanks!
Kerry
(mileck@charter.net)
Kerry
(mileck@charter.net)
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
Kerry, I sent you an email. I hope that you got it. I'm looking forward to hearing from you. I am almost sure we are related. This is very exciting.mileck wrote:Hello! My name is Kerry and I live in New Milford Ct. I found this chat through googling my grandmother's maiden name-Tinto. I had read an obituary for her brother Charles Tinto(90) who lived in Maine. Ithink we're related VERY distantly. I know nothing of my gram's family except her parents names Charles Tinto and Aino(Lunki) Tinto. I'd love to chat more if you have time. Please e-mail me or reply here. Thanks!
Kerry
(mileck@charter.net)
Judy
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
[quote="NYJudi"][quote="jcsm400"]SUMMARY:
Maternal g. grandparents:
Michael Tinto (probable name change from Trinchitello (Sp?) b. abt. 1858 IT d. UNKNOWN, married @ 27 (abt. 1885), arrived in States 1885, Parents: UNKNOWN b. Italy
+ Carmellla De Vito b. abt. 1865 IT d. UNKNOWN, Parents: UNKNOWN b. Italy
1. Charles b.2//7/1886 NY or IT
2. Angelina b. 2/22/1888 IT (place of birth per 1910, 1920, 1930) d. 10/2/1947 New
Rochelle, NY, married Dominick Colombo (see below)
3. Nicholas b. 6/4/1888 NY (per census & WWI)
4. Samuel b. 1/18/1891 NY (same)
5. Unknown Sister (per Angelina’s obit, married a Nicholas Colombo, residing in NY
in 1947.
Posted Records:
WWI Draft Cards for Nicholas, Samuel, Charles
1910 & 1920 in New Rochelle, 1930 (Carmella a widow, living with son Charles in Newtown, Fairfield, CT)
Manifests: Manifest ( for name spelling) Matteo Tinchitello(sp?)1890
Manifest Jan. 14, 1890 on the SS Elysia, a Michael Trinchitello (sp?), a Carmela DeVito with possible Trinchitello children, Angela 8, Felicia 6, Rosario 3, & infant Nicola (Note: separate listings for children & infants)
TOWN OF INTEREST: Sala-Consilino
Michael Tinto Naturalization information
NOTE: no 1900 found to date.
Paternal g. grandparents
Matteo Colombo (possible name change to< from? per poster) b. Italy + Maria Vaccaro b. Italy
All other information UNKNOWN
Grandparents:
Domenico (Dominick) Colombo b. +/- 4/26/1872 IT d. 1/11/1950 New Rochelle, NY
+ Angelina Tinto (see above)
1. Michael b. 1898/1901 NY 7. Nicholas b. 1913 NY
2. Mary b. 1902 NY 8. John Diego b. 1918 NY
3. Martin (Matteo) b. 1903NY 9. Louis b. 1921 NY
4. Nina (Neria?) b. 1909 NY 10. Eugene b. 1924 NY
5. Joseph b. 1911 NY 11. Millie b. After 1930 ?
6. Dominick b. 1912 NY 12. Unknown b. after 1930?
NOTES: Angelina Tinto & Domenico Colombo married 11/4/1901 in New Rochelle (info from Angelina’s obit, record not found) & 1910 census shows them married 14 years (=1896). No 1900 census found to date.
Per poster, surname may have been changed
Posted records:
1910, 1920, 1930 census, residing in New Rocelle, NY
Manifest: Domenico (Calumbo, Colombo, Palumbo) 9/24/1898 “SS Alesiaâ€Â
Maternal g. grandparents:
Michael Tinto (probable name change from Trinchitello (Sp?) b. abt. 1858 IT d. UNKNOWN, married @ 27 (abt. 1885), arrived in States 1885, Parents: UNKNOWN b. Italy
+ Carmellla De Vito b. abt. 1865 IT d. UNKNOWN, Parents: UNKNOWN b. Italy
1. Charles b.2//7/1886 NY or IT
2. Angelina b. 2/22/1888 IT (place of birth per 1910, 1920, 1930) d. 10/2/1947 New
Rochelle, NY, married Dominick Colombo (see below)
3. Nicholas b. 6/4/1888 NY (per census & WWI)
4. Samuel b. 1/18/1891 NY (same)
5. Unknown Sister (per Angelina’s obit, married a Nicholas Colombo, residing in NY
in 1947.
Posted Records:
WWI Draft Cards for Nicholas, Samuel, Charles
1910 & 1920 in New Rochelle, 1930 (Carmella a widow, living with son Charles in Newtown, Fairfield, CT)
Manifests: Manifest ( for name spelling) Matteo Tinchitello(sp?)1890
Manifest Jan. 14, 1890 on the SS Elysia, a Michael Trinchitello (sp?), a Carmela DeVito with possible Trinchitello children, Angela 8, Felicia 6, Rosario 3, & infant Nicola (Note: separate listings for children & infants)
TOWN OF INTEREST: Sala-Consilino
Michael Tinto Naturalization information
NOTE: no 1900 found to date.
Paternal g. grandparents
Matteo Colombo (possible name change to< from? per poster) b. Italy + Maria Vaccaro b. Italy
All other information UNKNOWN
Grandparents:
Domenico (Dominick) Colombo b. +/- 4/26/1872 IT d. 1/11/1950 New Rochelle, NY
+ Angelina Tinto (see above)
1. Michael b. 1898/1901 NY 7. Nicholas b. 1913 NY
2. Mary b. 1902 NY 8. John Diego b. 1918 NY
3. Martin (Matteo) b. 1903NY 9. Louis b. 1921 NY
4. Nina (Neria?) b. 1909 NY 10. Eugene b. 1924 NY
5. Joseph b. 1911 NY 11. Millie b. After 1930 ?
6. Dominick b. 1912 NY 12. Unknown b. after 1930?
NOTES: Angelina Tinto & Domenico Colombo married 11/4/1901 in New Rochelle (info from Angelina’s obit, record not found) & 1910 census shows them married 14 years (=1896). No 1900 census found to date.
Per poster, surname may have been changed
Posted records:
1910, 1920, 1930 census, residing in New Rocelle, NY
Manifest: Domenico (Calumbo, Colombo, Palumbo) 9/24/1898 “SS Alesiaâ€Â
Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York
Judy....this is great news!!! You now have confirmation on the name change.......so that is one brick wall down.......
How are you coming along with the rest of your research?? Just let us know if you need anything......we are always happy to help.......
It's great when posters keep us updated.....Best Wishes for a very
Merry Christmas!!!!!!
DeLisa
How are you coming along with the rest of your research?? Just let us know if you need anything......we are always happy to help.......
It's great when posters keep us updated.....Best Wishes for a very
Merry Christmas!!!!!!
DeLisa


