Picozzi family ancestry

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
Dalogi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 15 May 2006, 00:00
Location: London, England

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Dalogi »

Hi Everyone,

Just a quickie. My dad's just mentioned that Kate Picozzi used to make a bit of money by making homemade ice-cream. This has got me thinking. Could her dad Carlo (who was a restaurant waiter) have been an ice-cream maker in Italy, like so many Italians who came to England, and Kate learned to make it from him? If so, is there a particular area of Italy which was particularly strong in ice-cream making? This could narrow the search on where Carlo originally came from in Italy. According to another family member Carlo came to England in the mid 1860's. Is there a noticeable trend here as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

David
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by suanj »

Perhaps is no important, however can be interesting: in Arandora star victims are:
Picozzi, Carlo
04.10.1889 (birthdate)
Milano(birthplace)
London (residence)

http://gallery.quotidiano.net/documenti ... 01-350.htm
I know that is not your ancestor, but could be a trace.. regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi David,

Can you update us & tell us what records you have requested & gotten?....Many suggestions have been provided (Carlo's death certificate? All birth certificate's for the children? Church records? etc?)

None have the comune listed????

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Dalogi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 15 May 2006, 00:00
Location: London, England

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Dalogi »

Hello,

I have only requested Carlo and Emma's marriage certificate to start with, because this is the only one that would mention any information about Carlo's parents, according to the information given by the General Registry Office. I will get extra records as I go along, to try and find out more.

I don't think the info I want about Carlos origins will be on the children's birth certificates and I don't know when Carlo died, so I'm seeing what comes about from the marriage certificate. I've still to search through the church records.

Anyway, hope you are all doing OK, and I thank you all again for helping with every step of my search.

David
User avatar
Dalogi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 15 May 2006, 00:00
Location: London, England

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Dalogi »

Hi again,

Sorry to bring this up again in this post, but I don't know if I asked my question properly. Does anyone know what part of Italy ice-cream makers came from in the emmigration to England in the mid 1860's?

I think this may be the profession my ancestor acquired whilst in Italy, but on coming to Italy got a job as a restaurant waiter and concentrated on that job instead. What do you think?

Thanks guys,
David
User avatar
Dalogi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 15 May 2006, 00:00
Location: London, England

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Dalogi »

Hello again everyone,

I've had a bit of a breakthrough today. The marriage certificate of Carlo and Emma Picozzi came through the post today and there is a bit more information to go on. First off, it states Carlo's father as Giuseppe Picozzi who is stated as a 'farmer'. After searching for him at 'www.familysearch.org' I found someone who could be Carlos dad, but the entry was made before Carlo was born.

What do you all think about the find I've made? Do you have any advice, such as writing to Vairano Patenora to enquire about Carlo's birth? Does anyone know any other search sites I could look at for Giuseppe?

I could now be very very close to finally finding out what part of Italy my ancestors came from. Very excited!!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

David
User avatar
Dalogi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 15 May 2006, 00:00
Location: London, England

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Dalogi »

Forget to link LDS page on last email:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... rompage=99
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi David,

You got the marriage certificate & not the marriage act or extract from Vairano Patenora? The act/extract would show place of birth, profession & ages for Carlo & Emma & possibly more info on Giuseppe & wife.

Yes, I would write the town again & ask for birth acts/extracts for Carlo, Emma, Giuseppe & Giuseppe's wife ( if you have her name on the marriage record). You may even want to try for marriage act for Giuseppe.....If you request this many records, suggest including 2 international reply coupons.

You can also write to the person who submitted the info to familysearch.org.

Happy you are making progress!

:) jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by suanj »

Dalogi wrote:Hello again everyone,

I've had a bit of a breakthrough today. The marriage certificate of Carlo and Emma Picozzi came through the post today and there is a bit more information to go on. First off, it states Carlo's father as Giuseppe Picozzi who is stated as a 'farmer'. After searching for him at 'www.familysearch.org' I found someone who could be Carlos dad, but the entry was made before Carlo was born.

What do you all think about the find I've made? Do you have any advice, such as writing to Vairano Patenora to enquire about Carlo's birth? Does anyone know any other search sites I could look at for Giuseppe?

I could now be very very close to finally finding out what part of Italy my ancestors came from. Very excited!!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

David
Davi you can write in vairano Patenora(Caserta province, Campania region) also by email

anagrafe @ comune.vairano-patenora.ce.it NO Spaces
or
Servizi demografici
Via Roma, 23
81058 Vairano Patenora (CE)
ITALY
or by fax +39 0823/985235

and you ask the civil records of your ancestors, and remember that if you don't know the Emma maiden name you can to say only: married at ... Emma.
the form italian letters here

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
Dalogi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 15 May 2006, 00:00
Location: London, England

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Dalogi »

Thanks for the replies, suanj and jcsm. Carlo and Emma were married in London, and not Italy. The only information I have about Vairano Patenora is from the Familysearch.org website, which lists a man named Giuseppe Picozzi (same name as Carlo's dad) originating from that town. I don't know if this is the same Giuseppe as I'm looking for, but it isn't a very common name and the dates tally. Giuseppe was married in 1834, so he could have had a son in 1845/6. However, Carlo is not listed under family members.

I will try and write to the submitter of the familysearch info, however I did a search on the internet for the name, and I found a match from a woman born in 1854, so I'm not expecting to hear anything.

Thanks for the post and email addresses, suanj. I've emailed the comune of vairano patenora, and if I don't hear anything I'll write a formal letter instead. If anyone has further advice for me I would be very much grateful.

Thanks everyone,
David
User avatar
michaelbzr
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 05 Apr 2003, 00:00
Location: RI

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by michaelbzr »

Hello David,

Somewhere back in time I have a female ancestor named Picozzo.
As time went on the name changed to Picozzi.

In la Chiesa di San Barolomeo Apostolo in Vairano Patenora, the baptism register's first entry for Picozzo says:

No. 14 06/21/1639

Giovanni Picozzo di Angelo and Giulia Colaccio


My paternal grandparents came from Vairano Patenora and I live
there for three months of the year.

I don't know if anyone at the anagrafe's office in Vairano P. has time to do research. I know from experience how busy they are. You can always give it a try.

Most Vairanesi who left Italy settled in Silver Lake in Providence, RI and if you live in RI, I have most of the Vairano P. microfilms on permanent loan at the LDS Family History Library in Warwick. You are welcome to use them.

There are also Picozzi in Marzanello which is a frazione of Vairano P.
I have Marzanello films on permanent loan also.


Buona fortuna.


Michael Zompa

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dalogi wrote:Hello again everyone,

I've had a bit of a breakthrough today. The marriage certificate of Carlo and Emma Picozzi came through the post today and there is a bit more information to go on. First off, it states Carlo's father as Giuseppe Picozzi who is stated as a 'farmer'. After searching for him at 'www.familysearch.org' I found someone who could be Carlos dad, but the entry was made before Carlo was born.

What do you all think about the find I've made? Do you have any advice, such as writing to Vairano Patenora to enquire about Carlo's birth? Does anyone know any other search sites I could look at for Giuseppe?

I could now be very very close to finally finding out what part of Italy my ancestors came from. Very excited!!

Thanks for any help you can give me.

David
User avatar
Dalogi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 15 May 2006, 00:00
Location: London, England

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Dalogi »

Hello Michael,

Thanks for all the information. It's great! It's good to be in contact with someone who is researching the same name. I've tried emailing the Vairano anagrafe's office, but haven't heard anything yet, so I may write to them by letter.

I'm not from Rhode Island, but London, England, so I don't know if you would have any information on the ancestor I am looking for. What I know for sure is his name was Carlo Picozzi, son of Giuseppe Picozzi, and he was born in 1845, and moved to England in the mid 1860's. He married in London in 1875 and soon had children, one being my great great grandmother Katey.

I've searched for Giuseppe Picozzi on the LDS website, and there is only one name that comes up and that is of the person living in Vairano Patenora. I need to find out for certain that this is Carlo's father, but am having trouble making that connection. Could you search the records of the Chiesa di San Barolomeo Apostolo to see if there is any reference to Carlo or Giuseppe Picozzi?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks once again, Michael, for all your help.

David
User avatar
macdougall
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 27 Nov 2006, 00:00
Location: coatbridge

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by macdougall »

Hi Everyone

Hope I can be some help to you all. My name is Michelle Picozzi and have lived in Coatbridge all my life. My fathers name is Michael Picozzi and my Grandfathers name was Louis Picozzi. He was married to my grandmother whose maiden name was Madeleine Lagorio. The people you talk about in BT Phonebook will be my father, uncle and brother.

My uncle Vincent Picozzi has been doing our family tree for a good few years now and I'm sure would be of great help with any questions if it is the same PICOZZI.

I look forward to hearing from you soon and find it very fascintating.

Regards



Michelle Picozzi
User avatar
agripofi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: 10 Feb 2007, 00:00

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by agripofi »

Hi,
Capistrello, is not to far from my town. I know people there.

I do genealogy for hobby, and now every year I gather some 25 to 50 people from all over the US, Canada and Australia for the family reunion.

This year's October Reunion in Pofi (Frosinone) with interesting trip to Sicily, Calabria, Amalfi Coast and Naples, please contact me.
Reunion cost special only around 650 Euros all included for 8 days of great fun! (from Oct 6 to Oct 13)
Organizer : Agripofi

Tony
pizzicaroli @ aol.com
www.agripofi.it
User avatar
coolcat55
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 00:53

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by coolcat55 »

Hi

I appear to be 3-4 years late on this but you never know...my name is Ian Callaway and I live in Montreal, Canada. My mother's maiden is Gillian Picozzi. Her father was Ronald Picozzi and his father was Romolo Guisseppe Picozzi. Not sure if anyone will respond but it appears David would be a "cousin" of mine!!!

Ian
Post Reply