My mother was born in Italy in 1947 and migrated to Australia with her parents in 1953. It is my understanding that she became a naturalized Australian (not by her own choice) a few years after this.
My grandmother still receives an Italian pension. Does that mean she's an Italian citizen or can you claim an Italian pension without being an Italian citizen? My grandfather died a few years ago and he also received an Italian pension.
Is it at all possible for my mother to reacquire Italian citizenship? Could she do this based on the fact that her parents were Italian citizens when she was born?
Even if my mother was able to reacquire her citizenship would I be eligible for Italian citizenship as well or is there a problem here because she is female and born before 1948?
It is all very confusing.. it's doing my head in... And I also know that it doesn't look too good for me..... I just want to know if there's ANY way around this... I'm very frustrated. The rules seem very arbitrary... Any chance they will be changed to be more flexible in the future?


