Can I order naturalization records on line.
Can I order naturalization records on line.
Hi I am new to this board and need to get naturalization papers for some of my family. I am in NJ and can easily get to NYC but would rather do it on line, as I have just received a BC from NY but did not give me the info I wanted. I am a mutt, Norweigen, German, Scottish, but married a pure Italian. When his mother arrived here she was Providenza Prestigiacomo and guess what she changed it to Mae Presti. Now if I did't know that what a job as a genealogist I would have. Thanks for your help
Re: Can I order naturalization records on line.
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Have you looked at this site?
http://www.italiangen.org/
I found my relatives in their database
and used their on-line form to request
those records.
vj
also, if this is her manifest, there may be clues to
the date of her naturalization:
possible 1904 manifest
(they should also be on a 'detained page')
21 Nov 1904 SS Sicilian Prince Palermo to NY
lines 11-16
Caterina Zummo?, 34
- last residence Palermo
- joining husband/father Calogero Prestigiacomo in NY
Prestigiacomo Children:
Giuseppe, 9
Gaetano, 5?
Nisefa?, 8
Providenca, 5
possible naturalization notation:
2-(505)-2/2/37
Dorotea, 9 mos
Have you looked at this site?
http://www.italiangen.org/
I found my relatives in their database
and used their on-line form to request
those records.
vj
also, if this is her manifest, there may be clues to
the date of her naturalization:
possible 1904 manifest
(they should also be on a 'detained page')
21 Nov 1904 SS Sicilian Prince Palermo to NY
lines 11-16
Caterina Zummo?, 34
- last residence Palermo
- joining husband/father Calogero Prestigiacomo in NY
Prestigiacomo Children:
Giuseppe, 9
Gaetano, 5?
Nisefa?, 8
Providenca, 5
possible naturalization notation:
2-(505)-2/2/37
Dorotea, 9 mos
Re: Can I order naturalization records on line.
Gee you are great! Now maybe you can find my Olsens for me. My problem is I am doing too many families at once. You got it right with Providenza. We are having our second family reunion this summer. The Presti family owned a bakery in the Bronx. I have ben concentrating on my side of the family right now and realize how imprtant those naturalization papers are. I am also thinking of doing the Ancestry.com and wonder if I will get a lot out of it. I realize I need birth and death certificates for my people and was thinking of going to Varick st. and spending a day there. My head will really be swimming. Went to Italy 5 years ago but did not go to Palermo where the family was from. I am a Brancato and also doing that name. Thanks for your help Diane
Re: Can I order naturalization records on line.
Diane, we would be happy to help you look!
Post what you need with as many details as you have.
We'll see what we can do.
Ancestry.com, my opinion the best and most user-friendly
subscription site. Pretty expensive tho.
If you are near a Family History Center, I believe you can
access ancestry for free.
(Family History Center location search
on this page:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp)
Valarie
Post what you need with as many details as you have.
We'll see what we can do.
Ancestry.com, my opinion the best and most user-friendly
subscription site. Pretty expensive tho.
If you are near a Family History Center, I believe you can
access ancestry for free.
(Family History Center location search
on this page:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp)
Valarie
Re: Can I order naturalization records on line.
Okay Val heres one for you. I will save the Olsens for another time.Durtsche, Elizabeth from Switzerland born 1831 died 1891 Husband John Died Dec 12 !873. Children Rosina b July 1859 d July 11 1944(my g grandmother) john j born july 25 1861 d mar 30 1901 Louisa b 1868 d aug 2 1957 caroline b 1870 d now 17 1901. I don't know when they arrived here or any names beyond Durtsche and Ancestry is roping me in. Our high school has an exchange program and this year I will have 2 teachers with me from Switzerland, so if I find our where my ancestors come from I will have a place to visit if they invite me. Thanks for your help I have to go out now but will check back later. Thanks Diane
Re: Can I order naturalization records on line.
Okay Val heres one for you. I will save the Olsens for another time.Durtsche, Elizabeth from Switzerland born 1831 died 1891 Husband John Died Dec 12 !873. Children Rosina b July 1859 d July 11 1944(my g grandmother) john j born july 25 1861 d mar 30 1901 Louisa b 1868 d aug 2 1957 caroline b 1870 d now 17 1901. I don't know when they arrived here or any names beyond Durtsche and Ancestry is roping me in. Our high school has an exchange program and this year I will have 2 teachers with me from Switzerland, so if I find our where my ancestors come from I will have a place to visit if they invite me. Thanks for your help I have to go out now but will check back later. Thanks Diane
Re: Can I order naturalization records on line.
Durtsche Family
possible 1880 census
will link in a bit
immig bet 1861 & 1868?
Name: Elizabeth Durtsche
Home in 1880:
Rivington Street
New York (Manhattan), New York City-Greater, New York
head Elizabeth Durtsche 49 (abt 1831)
- widow
- keeping house
- b in Switzerland
daughter Rodina (Rosina) 20 (abt 1860)
- passementirie maker (ornamental trimming)
- b in Switzerland
son John J. 19 (abt 1861)
- shoemaker
- b in Switzerland
daughter Louisa 12 (abt 1868)
- child's maid
- b in NY
daughter Caroline 10 (abt 1870)
- b in NY
boarder Anton Keltner 22
possible 1880 census
will link in a bit
immig bet 1861 & 1868?
Name: Elizabeth Durtsche
Home in 1880:
Rivington Street
New York (Manhattan), New York City-Greater, New York
head Elizabeth Durtsche 49 (abt 1831)
- widow
- keeping house
- b in Switzerland
daughter Rodina (Rosina) 20 (abt 1860)
- passementirie maker (ornamental trimming)
- b in Switzerland
son John J. 19 (abt 1861)
- shoemaker
- b in Switzerland
daughter Louisa 12 (abt 1868)
- child's maid
- b in NY
daughter Caroline 10 (abt 1870)
- b in NY
boarder Anton Keltner 22
Re: Can I order naturalization records on line.
The local library system where I live has a Library subscription to Ancestry.com which can be accessed via terminals at the branch locations by card holders albeit for a limited time per day.vj wrote:If you are near a Family History Center, I believe you can
access ancestry for free.
(Family History Center location search
on this page:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp)
Valarie
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Can I order naturalization records on line.
Durtsche Family
possible 1865 manifest
page 2
18 Dec 1865, ship Harpswell, Le Havre to NY
Durtschi
- country of birth Switzerland
- can't make out residence
blow-up top pg 2 (could be France..)
- pg 1 last residence France
Johann, 31 (abt 1834)
Elisa, 35 (abt 1830)
Rosina? 5 (abt 1860)
Jacob 3 (abt 1862)
Louis 9 mos? (abt 1864) notation died on board
possible 1865 manifest
page 2
18 Dec 1865, ship Harpswell, Le Havre to NY
Durtschi
- country of birth Switzerland
- can't make out residence
blow-up top pg 2 (could be France..)
- pg 1 last residence France
Johann, 31 (abt 1834)
Elisa, 35 (abt 1830)
Rosina? 5 (abt 1860)
Jacob 3 (abt 1862)
Louis 9 mos? (abt 1864) notation died on board
Re: Can I order naturalization records on line.
Durtsche Family
possible naturalization record to look for?
possible 1900 census
Name: Jacob J Durtsche
Home in 1900:
232 (2nd floor) Reid Ave, rents
Brooklyn Ward 23, Kings, New York
head Jacob J Durtsche 38 (abt Jul 1861)
- married 11 yrs (abt 1889)
- b in Switzerland
- immig 1864, in US 36 yrs, Na
- milk dealer
wife Louise 39 (abt Nov? 1860)
- 2 children born/living
- b in Switzerland
- immig 1882, in US 18 yrs
son John J 10 (abt Mar? 1890)
- b in NY
step-son Charles Muller 16 (abt Jan 1884)
- b in NY
possible naturalization record to look for?
possible 1900 census
Name: Jacob J Durtsche
Home in 1900:
232 (2nd floor) Reid Ave, rents
Brooklyn Ward 23, Kings, New York
head Jacob J Durtsche 38 (abt Jul 1861)
- married 11 yrs (abt 1889)
- b in Switzerland
- immig 1864, in US 36 yrs, Na
- milk dealer
wife Louise 39 (abt Nov? 1860)
- 2 children born/living
- b in Switzerland
- immig 1882, in US 18 yrs
son John J 10 (abt Mar? 1890)
- b in NY
step-son Charles Muller 16 (abt Jan 1884)
- b in NY
Re: Can I order naturalization records on line.
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Re: Can I order naturalization records on line.
If you don't actually need the naturalization certificate, you can send for the Declaration of Intent, Petition, and Oath of Allegiance from the NARA office in NY. You can do this on-line at:
http://www.archives.gov/
http://www.archives.gov/
Re: Can I order naturalization records on line.
Sorry Mler......VaDeb has always spoken very highly of the site I provided
as they will send you everything in the file if you request it, and she has yet to be charged for it......either site will provide the same service.
And perhaps one is faster to respond than the other.
wldspirit
as they will send you everything in the file if you request it, and she has yet to be charged for it......either site will provide the same service.
And perhaps one is faster to respond than the other.
wldspirit
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Re: Can I order naturalization records on line.
Hi Mler and Wildspirt..
Both sites are sources for naturalization records. The source Wildspirt provided is the "Official" place to request records. It is for the US Citizen and Immigration. (Old INS) You do have to file a freedom of information request and provide information to prove that you are entitled to the "private" records they hold. They have copies of all records after 1906. Also have the alien registration cards. If you request the complete file, you never know what you might find.
The source Mler provided is through the archives. They are similar to a library. Anyone can request a copy of a record they hold. YOu do not have to be related or prove you are entitled to the record. Their holdings do not include all records. They are a depository or archive of old records from places that have left their old records with them. They may have pre and post 1906 records.
Depending on the court that performed the naturalization and the date it occured, you may find the record with NARA and USCIS.
As Wildspirt noted I have used USCIS for 5 ancestors. Each request was granted and for free. Some came back in 3 weeks and one took several letters and 3 months. I found it is best to request separately for each ancestor. One for husband and one for wife. Provide as much detail as you can and social security numbers if they are known. For one ancestor they provided information of a trip back to England in 1932 that I had no idea of. I then sent to NARA for that passenger manifest. If I had waited I could find that manifest today on ancestry.com for free!
Enjoy the search.
Debbie
Both sites are sources for naturalization records. The source Wildspirt provided is the "Official" place to request records. It is for the US Citizen and Immigration. (Old INS) You do have to file a freedom of information request and provide information to prove that you are entitled to the "private" records they hold. They have copies of all records after 1906. Also have the alien registration cards. If you request the complete file, you never know what you might find.
The source Mler provided is through the archives. They are similar to a library. Anyone can request a copy of a record they hold. YOu do not have to be related or prove you are entitled to the record. Their holdings do not include all records. They are a depository or archive of old records from places that have left their old records with them. They may have pre and post 1906 records.
Depending on the court that performed the naturalization and the date it occured, you may find the record with NARA and USCIS.
As Wildspirt noted I have used USCIS for 5 ancestors. Each request was granted and for free. Some came back in 3 weeks and one took several letters and 3 months. I found it is best to request separately for each ancestor. One for husband and one for wife. Provide as much detail as you can and social security numbers if they are known. For one ancestor they provided information of a trip back to England in 1932 that I had no idea of. I then sent to NARA for that passenger manifest. If I had waited I could find that manifest today on ancestry.com for free!
Enjoy the search.
Debbie
Re: Can I order naturalization records on line.
VaDeb......another poster has inquired as to the process of filing a FOIA,
does it need to be notarized wether the person is living or deceased.....
maybe you could post a topic with a tutorial on requesting and filing this type of document.
wldspirit
does it need to be notarized wether the person is living or deceased.....
maybe you could post a topic with a tutorial on requesting and filing this type of document.
wldspirit
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."



