I'm going to go for my dual citizenship, and I'll need to work
through the NY consulate.
does anyone have any advice?
I have to get a birth certificate from Palermo,
can I ask for a normal copy of it, or do I need
I special copy, like printed on legal paper
or a seal on it? If so how much would it cost
for each copy?
JOHN
NYC Consulate
Re: NYC Consulate
John, you will need an estratto, which is simply a handwritten copy of the information on the birth document, notarized by the commune. There was no seal on the one I received for my grandfather. You can request it directly from the commune or use one of the many services available on line.
NY is a good consulate to deal with. You will need documents only from the Italian line which will make it considerably easier (and less expensive). Also, the NY Consulate will accept a Declaration of Intent, Petition, and Oath in lieu of a naturalization certificate. These can be obtained quickly and easily from NARA, and should save you much time.
BTW, NY will return return the original Italian birth estratto. It is the only original they do not keep. Make copies of everything else. They will want a copy and so will you.
NY is a good consulate to deal with. You will need documents only from the Italian line which will make it considerably easier (and less expensive). Also, the NY Consulate will accept a Declaration of Intent, Petition, and Oath in lieu of a naturalization certificate. These can be obtained quickly and easily from NARA, and should save you much time.
BTW, NY will return return the original Italian birth estratto. It is the only original they do not keep. Make copies of everything else. They will want a copy and so will you.
- johnmilano
- Rookie

- Posts: 61
- Joined: 07 Feb 2007, 00:00
- Location: USA
Re: NYC Consulate
Hey Mler,
I PMed you.
JOHN
I PMed you.
JOHN
mler wrote:John, you will need an estratto, which is simply a handwritten copy of the information on the birth document, notarized by the commune. There was no seal on the one I received for my grandfather. You can request it directly from the commune or use one of the many services available on line.
NY is a good consulate to deal with. You will need documents only from the Italian line which will make it considerably easier (and less expensive). Also, the NY Consulate will accept a Declaration of Intent, Petition, and Oath in lieu of a naturalization certificate. These can be obtained quickly and easily from NARA, and should save you much time.
BTW, NY will return return the original Italian birth estratto. It is the only original they do not keep. Make copies of everything else. They will want a copy and so will you.
Re: NYC Consulate
And I PM'd you--two times, in fact. Hope you have a lot of time. The messages are long. 
