Fanning out the family.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff
Posts: 192
Joined: 23 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: ny

Re: Fanning out the family.

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

Terranova

Would someone mind looking up John Joseph Terranova born Dec. 1, 1896 died Feb. 6, 1966. He was a boxer, here is a page on him:

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/wilson-r.htm

That is all I have on him, and I know he had a son John Joseph Terranova Jr. born 1943 and died 1980. Any info would be good, and I would like to go back to Italy if that is possible. Thanks!!!

Mike
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: Fanning out the family.

Post by Biff83 »

U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006
Name: John Terranova
Service Info.: PVT US ARMY WORLD WAR I
Birth Date: 1 Dec 1896
Death Date: 6 Feb 1966
Service Start Date: 5 Oct 1917
Service End Date: 14 Jan 1918
Interment Date: 10 Feb 1966
Cemetery: Long Island National Cemetery
Cemetery Address: 2040 Wellwood Avenue Farmingdale, NY 11735-1211
Buried At: Section 2p Site 4831

Mike, there's a chance he was naturalized after WWI. Check the Italian Genealogy Group database for Military Naturalizations to see if I'm correct.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: Fanning out the family.

Post by Biff83 »

Social Security Death Index
Name: John Terranova
SSN: xxx-xx-xxxx
Last Residence: 11561 Long Beach, Nassau, New York, United States of America
Born: 9 Dec 1943
Last Benefit: 11501 Mineola, Nassau, New York, United States of America
Died: Aug 1980
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (1958-1960 )

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Social Security Death Index [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2006. Original data: Social Security Administration. Social Security Death Index, Master File. Social Security Administration.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: Fanning out the family.

Post by Biff83 »

Mike,

Although I found the above Social Security record on Ancestry, Family Search, which is another free site, will allow you to search the SSDI index.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... _form=true

Lots of good free sites out there.

Best,
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
User avatar
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff
Posts: 192
Joined: 23 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: ny

Re: Fanning out the family.

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

Biff, thank you! You have been working hard for me and it means a lot. I want to go and expand out as far as I can and work that way. After I post this I will do the naturalization search after I post this. I hate to sound like a begger, but do you see any possibilities on the census? Thanks for all your help and don't over work yoursefl for me!

Mike
User avatar
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff
Posts: 192
Joined: 23 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: ny

Re: Fanning out the family.

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

After looking at the IGG database, I have found that John wasn't there. So I am not sure, he may have just not been put into the database yet. I will look at the cemetery records to see if his wife is buried with him...Thanks Biff.

Mike
User avatar
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff
Posts: 192
Joined: 23 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: ny

Re: Fanning out the family.

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

TERRANOVA, MARY
DATE OF BIRTH: 05/23/1897
DATE OF DEATH: 03/03/1987
BURIED AT: SECTION 2P SITE 4831
LONG ISLAND NATIONAL CEMETERY
2040 WELLWOOD AVENUE FARMINGDALE, NY 11735-1211

That is John's wife, from what the grave says, more names and dates!! Always good.
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: Fanning out the family.

Post by Biff83 »

Possible WWII Draft Card for John Terranova

New York, Manhattan
159 9th Ave
DOB--1 Dec 1896, Italy
Nearest relative, wife Mary same address
Employer--Felix Rozzo, Rozzo & Sons Fish Market

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8307 ... wiitu5.jpg
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: Fanning out the family.

Post by Biff83 »

Possible 1930 Census

New York, Manhattan, NY
John Terranova, age 33, birthplace Italy, yr of immig. 1897 pa, occupation fish dealer
Marie, wife, age 33, birth place Italy, yr. of immig. 1897 al
Michelina, daughter, age 10
John Jr., son, age 8
Anna, daughter, age 4
Felicia, daughter, age 2
All children born NYC

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/347/ ... 930lo6.jpg

edited to add comment--Mike, it might be a little tougher finding him in the 1920 census since it appears from the CyberBoxing site that he was on the road quite a bit. If you take a look at his boxing history, he had one match on 26 Nov 1917 which occurred durng his Army enlistment.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
User avatar
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff
Posts: 192
Joined: 23 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: ny

Re: Fanning out the family.

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

That is great, I will call some people to check brothers and sisters names. I figured it would be hare to find info on with all the travel. Good note on the match during his service in the army. Thanks Biff!

Mike
User avatar
Biff83
Master
Master
Posts: 4495
Joined: 02 Jan 2007, 00:00

Re: Fanning out the family.

Post by Biff83 »

Mike,

Much more detailed boxing history for John Joseph Terranova aka "Red Cap" Wilson on this site. Looks like he had two other bouts while in the Army.

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=051132

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
User avatar
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff
Posts: 192
Joined: 23 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: ny

Re: Fanning out the family.

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

What a great site, my uncle will be very happy. Thanks so much Biff, your a big help!

Mike
User avatar
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff
Posts: 192
Joined: 23 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: ny

Re: Fanning out the family.

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

How would I look to see if someone was detained at Ellis Island? My aunt Lucy was said to be detained, and I would like to see for what and for how long. Ant ideas? Thanks.

Mike
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Fanning out the family.

Post by nuccia »

Mike,

Look for her ship manifest on ancestry. There may be a few that have the same name and year that you want. Look at all of them..chances are one might be the Detained Passenger List. But..also look for mis spellings of her name if you can't find it because I have often seen the actual manifest and the detained manifest for the same person but the name is transcribed differently.

Does this help?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff
Posts: 192
Joined: 23 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: ny

Re: Fanning out the family.

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

I have her manafest, I don't know what the numbers mean by her name, and the stamp next to her name is hard to read. You might have better luck:Lucia Farfaglia is my aunt. Thanks Nuccia!!!
Post Reply