Hello All,
I have been impressed by the knowledge and willingness to help by the people on this board and I would like your guys opinion on some info I found. I found an IGI record on this family and want to know if I could definitively link them to mine. It just seems like much more than a coincidence. They are all from San Vincenzo La Costa in Cosenza, Calabria.
Giuseppe Ciancio b. 1846
Carolina Presta b. 1848
m. 1866
children:
Angela Luisa b. 1867
Concetta R. b. 1877
Saverio b. 1879-1880
Maria Rosaria b. 1881
Francesco G. b. 1884
Maria Vincenza b. 1887
Now here's what I know for sure:
-My GG-grandmother was Luisa Ciancio (birthday unknown) and she had a sister named Rosaria.
-I know Rosaria's birth year is 1881.
-When Rosaria's husband (Angelo Ricchio) immigrated to the US in 1903 he came with a man named Francesco Ciancio (b. 1884).
-On Rosaria's manifest her named is listed as "M. Rosaria Ciancio" and her passage was paid by her father "Giuseppe".
I'm pretty sure a lot of Italian women went by their middle names so maybe my Luisa was really named Angela Luisa. I know her sister Rosaria listed her name as M. Rosaria on her manifest which could be the Maria Rosaria listed above.
Is this more than a coincidence or do you think I need more info for a definite link?
Thanks For Your Help,
Brian
I Need Your Opinion!
Re: I Need Your Opinion!
Just looking at all the evidence, I agree with you. They are most surely related to your family, especially Maria Rosaria. Furthermore, Ciancio does not seem like a common name (you can do some research on the name if you haven't already) & if your family is also from the same town, no doubt they were related, if not closely related.
Also, it's true - a lot of Italian women went by their middle names - my great grandmother is one of them.
Sorry, I'm no expert, but hope an objective opinion helps at least a little.
Also, it's true - a lot of Italian women went by their middle names - my great grandmother is one of them.
Sorry, I'm no expert, but hope an objective opinion helps at least a little.
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.
Re: I Need Your Opinion!
More than likely...yes, there could be a connection. But rule of thumb is to prove the connection thru primary source records, even if you only locate one or two...and then secondary source records.
http://www.genealogy.com/uni-begin.html#gra2
wldspirit
http://www.genealogy.com/uni-begin.html#gra2
wldspirit
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."


