All of my relatives appear to have left Italy from the Port of Naples. I'm just curious. Were there other ports of exit? Is anyone aware of hard data that shows emigrants by port of exit? Or, was Naples the only one?
As always, thanks for you help.
Paul Montebello
Ports of Exit from Italy
- AnotherCitizenToBe
- Rookie

- Posts: 79
- Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 00:00
Re: Ports of Exit from Italy
Paul,aristides wrote:Or, was Naples the only one?
Palermo, Genoa, Sicily, and Rome turn up often in immigration manifests as port of sail. Also, many Italians arrived in the US by way of ports in other countries including Germany, France, England and Ireland, to name a few.
Re: Ports of Exit from Italy
Most Southern Italians left from Naples, but my grandfather from Benevento left just before WWI. I remembered that he told me he left through Switzerland. When I found his manifest, his ship came from Le Havre. Also, I had expected that my grandmother would have arrived in NY. With help from this site, I found that she landed in Boston, not NY. So what you expect is not always what you get. I think that is what makes it so exciting when you finally make the match.
