I live in Australia but am a US citizen under a 4/5/7 work visa. My Garandparents were born in Sicily and lived there until their 20"s, then they migrated to the US. My father may have been born there as well. I am having to check our records to verify that.
I was told that if my father or Grandfather were born in Itaily that I would aumtomaticall qualify for a passport... is that true?
Thank you,
C. Candelari
Immigration
- AnotherCitizenToBe
- Rookie

- Posts: 79
- Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 00:00
Re: Immigration
Simply put, if your father was an Italian citizen at the time of your birth, then you are one as well. In your case, the possibilities are:
1) Grandfather born in Italy. Father born in US *prior* to grandfather becoming naturalized US citizen (actually, prior to renouncing his Italian citizenship).
2) Grandfather and father both born in Italy, you are born in US *prior* to father becoming naturalized US citizen.
If #2, you are in great shape as the number of docs required to prove your case would be greatly reduced.
Visit http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... tadinanza/ for more info. Don't miss the "(please click to download a detailed information kit)" link as the doc contains lots of useful stuff.
1) Grandfather born in Italy. Father born in US *prior* to grandfather becoming naturalized US citizen (actually, prior to renouncing his Italian citizenship).
2) Grandfather and father both born in Italy, you are born in US *prior* to father becoming naturalized US citizen.
If #2, you are in great shape as the number of docs required to prove your case would be greatly reduced.
Visit http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... tadinanza/ for more info. Don't miss the "(please click to download a detailed information kit)" link as the doc contains lots of useful stuff.
Re: Immigration
Thank you that's awesome!!! Looks like I'm may be able to head that way after Australia. Now for the tricky part... how do I prove it? My gandfather and father have both passed. What department of the gov can help me prove their Italian citizenship?
Cheers mate,
C.Candelari
Cheers mate,
C.Candelari
Re: Immigration
Here is a handy FAQ, including documentation needed for Italian citizenship:
http://www.italiamerica.org/id71.htm
wldspirit
http://www.italiamerica.org/id71.htm
wldspirit
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

