Hello. I'm looking for information about my mother, who was born Maria Clausi in Lauropoli, Calabria, in 1937. Her father was Antonio, her mother Letizia. She emigrated to the U.S. in 1954, I believe. I'm looking for info such as the name of the ship she came over on (and where it left from), the church and schools she attended, and any other interesting information you can provide.
Many thanks in advance!
Family search
Re: Family search
Hello and Welcome!!
Found this possible record.
SS Independence departed Naples 20 Dec 1955 with arrival NY on 30 Dec 1955, lines 18-20
Letizia, Maria and Ada Clausi
1955 Manifest
Biff
Found this possible record.
SS Independence departed Naples 20 Dec 1955 with arrival NY on 30 Dec 1955, lines 18-20
Letizia, Maria and Ada Clausi
1955 Manifest
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
- swingsetabby
- Newbie

- Posts: 7
- Joined: 30 Aug 2007, 00:00
Re: Family search
Wow, that's amazing! And yes, I'm certain that's the right manifest, since Ada is my aunt's name.
Mille grazie!
Mille grazie!
Re: Family search
Unfortunately, because of privacy laws other information might be difficult to locate. Do you know where the family lived after they came to the states?? A street address with a city would be most helpful since we might be able to determine the names of churches and schools in the area.
Biff
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
- swingsetabby
- Newbie

- Posts: 7
- Joined: 30 Aug 2007, 00:00
Re: Family search
Yes, they lived in Astoria, Queens, NYC, although I don't have a street name. But it's the info from the Italian side that interests me the most.
Again, thank you.
Again, thank you.
Re: Family search
The only Lauropoli I was able to find is a hamlet in the town of Cassano Allo Ionio in Cosenza province in Calabria.
Official website of the town of Cassano Allo Ionio
Information on the hamlet of Lauropoli
The above site on Lauropoli has pictures and information on the hamlet's history, religious feasts and customs.
Biff
Official website of the town of Cassano Allo Ionio
Information on the hamlet of Lauropoli
The above site on Lauropoli has pictures and information on the hamlet's history, religious feasts and customs.
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
- swingsetabby
- Newbie

- Posts: 7
- Joined: 30 Aug 2007, 00:00
Re: Family search
That's the place. I'd stumbled on the second link you posted, but not the first. Thanks very much!
