Should one submit a US Passport Application to a Consulate for Info contained, which could be useful to Citizenship App?
I say no. Explanation: A US passport application contains an oath which must be taken by applicant and signed on app. I suspect this could be considered a renunciation by ancestor. (Pick up current app. at Post Office and look at the oath.) Even if the US passport was issued after birth of child, I think that that this could slow down app. process and be considered a complicated ius sanguinus application unnecessarily. A Slow track in a nut shell.
Also, as of 1960, all travelers to Italy from US had to carry passport and were required to report their presence in Italy to questura and also US consulate. If person stayed in hotel, hotel *seized* passport for duration of stay for the purpose of reporting presence to questura. That's what I read.
**see someone's correction on this below. I'll call it clarification.
Also read, that if one entered Italy on Foreign Passport that that could be considered a renunciation of Italian Citizenship by Italy.
**************************************************
Then, there is the possible issue of Ancestry.com rumored release of passport appl. online from 1795-1925. Note: US or British citizens were not required to carry passports by Italy as of 1899 and US govt. only required passport by US in early 1920's and then permanently after WWII.
**************************************************
Not related: For the duration of the WW1 (even though the US had not entered the war then), President Wilson in 1915, ordered that no aliens would be deported.
Please comment and correct if necessary!!!
Passport applications are accessible via FOIA requests for ($90) by family members only. You must submit valid US driver's license, birth cert, and or passport copy. This could be useful for genealogy, as they should contain social security number and other info. If you want to order copy of your own app, same process. Easy as pie, if you got the cash!

