Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
No my maternal grandparents were from San Fili and my paternal grandparents were from Francavilla Antigola. A lot of families from Francavilla moved to New Rochelle
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
Thank you so much for putting this all down for me. I know it had to take time. You told me things that I didn't know and reminded me of the Bonny Club. I haven't heard the club mentioned in ages. I printed what you posted out, to add to the book I'm making up on my family. I still have to look up the Colombo names and the Vaccaro names that were mentioned in the club and try to connect them to my family. Since my mother used to say, that my father had so many cousins in the area that even he didn't know who they were, so there is a good possibility that some of the names may be connected to my family. What you posted on Bonefro and New Rochelle is part of history which is why I'm adding them to my collection. Funny how now we can kick ourselves when we were younger for not paying attention when all the information of our past was available to us. Thanks for people like you that help connect the dots.DMM wrote:Glad you said that, I was starting to feel a bit awkward, telling natives about a city I've never been to, by translating a book written by an Italian from documents obtained from immigrants to New Rochelletteti wrote:Hey I was born and raised in New Rochelle and I never knew of these facts.But, these things all happened 50 to 100 years ago, after all...
There's value in the history itself, but I hope also some in the list of names, dates and relationships. Hopefully someone can piece together some part of their Bonefro heritage.
Were your great grandparents from Bonefro?
One of these years I need to get back home. I do miss it and I only been gone two plus years.
Judy
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
You are so right I am so sorry that I didn't ask my father more questions about his life in Francavilla, but he was closed mouth about it, tough child hood. At least I have made a trip to Francavilla and was able to see some interesting things and meet some wonderful relatives on my fathers paternal side.
I remember a Vaccaro family that opened one of the first pizza places on Union Avenue in New Rochelle don't know if it is a relation to you
I remember a Vaccaro family that opened one of the first pizza places on Union Avenue in New Rochelle don't know if it is a relation to you
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
As a foot note, do you remeber the goats that used to be walked around the neighbor called the west area between Washington Avenue and Union Avenue between first and ninth streets, sorry to say that was my uncle
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
My wife's family is from Bonefro and they imigrated to New Rochelle where she was born. I have written a book (The Last Best of All Times) about my early years in New Rochelle; it includes anticdotes about the "Bunnies" and the section of town where many of them resided......referred to as PSA. If you are familiar with the area, you should know what those initials stand for. If you are interested in the book it can be ordered from Xlibris.com or from Amazon, Borders or Barnes and Noble.
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
Aha PSA may memories and it is still there. The name Semenza sounds familiar. Was your wife from West New Rochelle as they called it?
There is another book that has been out called West New Rochelle an Italian Journey, have you read it? I will look for your book
There is another book that has been out called West New Rochelle an Italian Journey, have you read it? I will look for your book
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
Talking about societies in New Rochelle there was one called the ? Calabria society they were on Union Avenue. There was another building on 4th Street called the North Italy Hall. Just adding some info
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
My family had a liquor store for years on Union Avenue...It was called Colombo Wine and Liquor. I remember something about another club or hall on 4th St where the Italians gathered to play cards. I want to say it was across the street from where my family lived at 129 4th St, but then I'm thinking that the McGuires lived there and I believe that they had a store there. I was young so maybe my memory isn't to clear on it.tteti wrote:Talking about societies in New Rochelle there was one called the ? Calabria society they were on Union Avenue. There was another building on 4th Street called the North Italy Hall. Just adding some info
Good ole New Rochelle. I do miss it all though it's not the same as it used to be way back when.
Judy
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
I am trying to remember the wine store but can't place it, there was a social club on the corner of 3rd and union and another one on union near First Street.
There was a liquor store on fourth street next to the gas station.
I have so many memories of the west that I would bore you with the places alone.
Yes good old New Rochelle it is not the same, now they have skyscrapers on Hugeonut Street.
How long since you have been back?
There was a liquor store on fourth street next to the gas station.
I have so many memories of the west that I would bore you with the places alone.
Yes good old New Rochelle it is not the same, now they have skyscrapers on Hugeonut Street.
How long since you have been back?
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
My wife was from St Joseph's St- her maiden name was Vaccaro and her mother was a D'Onofrio-she is related to a number of the names mentioned in the various messages on this website. I was raised on Union Ave between 2nd and 3rd. There are 2 other books out about the "West" written by Anthony D"Ermes - "West New Rochelle NY, An Italian Journey" and "West New Rochelle NY, The Italian People." He are I grew up at the same time and we keep in touch.
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
I was born and raised in New Rochelle. Lived on Ninth Street and on Washington Avenue near Pelham, my mother was a Passarelli who had four sisters, so I had quite afew uncles, Bonelli, Mustacato, nanarello,and Ciliberti.
Remeber Zito's, Sacco's ,Caruso's and the Red Rose Bar on Union
Remeber Zito's, Sacco's ,Caruso's and the Red Rose Bar on Union
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
I sure do remember - I knew Joe Passarelli who worked in Caruso's dress shop on Union where my mother and aunt worked - Zito's, etc are all mentioned in my book which I have mentioned.
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
My mother and Aunt Rose worked there also, what a small world Joe Passarelli was my second cousin, his father or uncle was the goat man.
Was your wife from St Johns or St Jsoephs
Was your wife from St Johns or St Jsoephs
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
I've really enjoyed reading some of the comments about West New Rochelle. I was born and raised there. Moved away when I got married. My family still lives there - Mastroberardino, Viccaro (my aunt and Uncle Pete and Louise owned the pizzeria/restaurant you referred to - my aunt still lives in the same house on 5th street), DePiano. The Gaitas are relatives on my mother's side. Played many a ball game at D'Onofrio Field but never knew the history of the name. Fascinating! This past March we had a reunion of St. Gabriel's Grammar School. About 60 people showed up - mostly from the classes of the 70's, but several from earlier and later as well.
My mother Olga and my aunt Louise Viccaro worked at Caruso's dress shop for many years.
Casa Calabria - the grocery store on the corner (Cassara's?) - the soda shop on Union (can't remember the name) - so many memories!!
My mother Olga and my aunt Louise Viccaro worked at Caruso's dress shop for many years.
Casa Calabria - the grocery store on the corner (Cassara's?) - the soda shop on Union (can't remember the name) - so many memories!!
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
Hi, I'm Judy Colombo and thought I would touch base with you. I also enjoyed reading about New Rochelle. I grew up in Mamaroneck but spent much time in New Rochelle since that is where my dad, Dominick Colombo was raised and the family lived until the 90's when the last one passed on. The Colombo family had the big house on the corner of Lockwood and 4th St. The Italians in the area all seemed to know one another. I'm thinking that your aunt that lives on 5th knew my family. The Colombo's also had the Colombo Wine and Liquor store on Union Ave. If you ever get the chance to talk to your aunt, could you ask her if she knew the family and if there is anything she remembers about them? You mentioned the name Viccaro. My grandfathers mother name's was Vaccaro. I also remember the Caruso dress shop mentioned but don't remember if I ever been there.hahmastro wrote:I've really enjoyed reading some of the comments about West New Rochelle. I was born and raised there. Moved away when I got married. My family still lives there - Mastroberardino, Viccaro (my aunt and Uncle Pete and Louise owned the pizzeria/restaurant you referred to - my aunt still lives in the same house on 5th street), DePiano. The Gaitas are relatives on my mother's side. Played many a ball game at D'Onofrio Field but never knew the history of the name. Fascinating! This past March we had a reunion of St. Gabriel's Grammar School. About 60 people showed up - mostly from the classes of the 70's, but several from earlier and later as well.
My mother Olga and my aunt Louise Viccaro worked at Caruso's dress shop for many years.
Casa Calabria - the grocery store on the corner (Cassara's?) - the soda shop on Union (can't remember the name) - so many memories!!
It was good seeing your post on the board.
Judy

