Pipitone and Rosato Families Palermo 1900
Re: Pipitone and Rosato Families Palermo 1900
From NYC Brides records index:
http://www.italiangen.org/NYCMarriage.stm
Queens:
Pepetone Maria May 3, 1926 Certificate n. 1017
Licascio Joseph May 3 1926 Queens Certificate n. 1017
Pipitone Josephine married Febr. 28, 1931 Certificate n. 610 Queens
Bunsa Carl W Feb 28 1931 Certificate n. 610 Queens
http://www.italiangen.org/NYCMarriage.stm
Queens:
Pepetone Maria May 3, 1926 Certificate n. 1017
Licascio Joseph May 3 1926 Queens Certificate n. 1017
Pipitone Josephine married Febr. 28, 1931 Certificate n. 610 Queens
Bunsa Carl W Feb 28 1931 Certificate n. 610 Queens
- BillieDeKid
- Master

- Posts: 1207
- Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
- Location: Illinois
Re: Pipitone and Rosato Families Palermo 1900
Here's an interactive map of Sicily with Misilmeri and not far from there is Castledaccia. Both near Palermo.
http://www.italymag.co.uk/travel-to-ita ... of-sicily/
http://www.italymag.co.uk/travel-to-ita ... of-sicily/
Re: Pipitone and Rosato Families Palermo 1900
Ciao Elizabeth....
I think that Dutchpete can request Mary's marriage certificate because surely there is listed her birthplace.... or don't?? I don't know...
It seems she never naturalized...
Or he can request the naturalization paper for Andrew Pipitone that Valarie posted...
Laura
I think that Dutchpete can request Mary's marriage certificate because surely there is listed her birthplace.... or don't?? I don't know...
It seems she never naturalized...
Or he can request the naturalization paper for Andrew Pipitone that Valarie posted...
Laura
- BillieDeKid
- Master

- Posts: 1207
- Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
- Location: Illinois
Re: Pipitone and Rosato Families Palermo 1900
Reference Biffs manifest for Andrea. Many other people on the manifest list Castellammare (sp.) as last place of residence. Which would be your castle by the sea reference.
Re: Pipitone and Rosato Families Palermo 1900
Sorry because this page is in italian but is a very detailed explanation of Castellammare quarter in Palermo....
http://www.comune.palermo.it/Comune/cen ... ammare.htm
Maybe the Pipitone we are searching are from this district of the town...
That's why they declared Palermo in their arrival manifest....
Laura
http://www.comune.palermo.it/Comune/cen ... ammare.htm
Maybe the Pipitone we are searching are from this district of the town...
That's why they declared Palermo in their arrival manifest....
Laura
- BillieDeKid
- Master

- Posts: 1207
- Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
- Location: Illinois
Re: Pipitone and Rosato Families Palermo 1900
Laura that was a great article. Did I understand right (I still need alot of practice with my Italian)? All of the churches that are referred to in the article are in Castellammare? If they are.........WOW
I'm glad the area is being restored, it sounds like there was alot of history there.
So in the late 1800's early 1900's was Castellamarre considered a different town from Palermo or just an area within Palermo?
Thanks for the article - very cool!!!
Elizabeth
I'm glad the area is being restored, it sounds like there was alot of history there.
So in the late 1800's early 1900's was Castellamarre considered a different town from Palermo or just an area within Palermo?
Thanks for the article - very cool!!!
Elizabeth
Re: Pipitone and Rosato Families Palermo 1900
Yes thank you I found the 10 and 20 census stuff too this weekend, I found the name of the women going to the list printed out Fuezze? It says they were single, but I still havn't found Michele's entry. On the manifest there is a Michele but he went to Baltimore, however the person below him went to Elizabeth street. Could they have mixed up the lines of entry???
Andrea had two brothers, Michele and Ignasio. I hav'nt done the Ignasio search yet. But, I'm thinking I'm going to go with Concetta Rosato coming from Misilmeri and Andrea from Castellamare. What do ya think and where do I go from here?
I'm really having a good time (lots of it as you know) I'm still sorting through Misilmeri Marriages, but....
Thanks everyone you are all a huge help.
Andrea had two brothers, Michele and Ignasio. I hav'nt done the Ignasio search yet. But, I'm thinking I'm going to go with Concetta Rosato coming from Misilmeri and Andrea from Castellamare. What do ya think and where do I go from here?
I'm really having a good time (lots of it as you know) I'm still sorting through Misilmeri Marriages, but....
Thanks everyone you are all a huge help.
Re: Pipitone and Rosato Families Palermo 1900
Good morning folks!!!!
Possible arrival Manifest for Michele Pipitone????
(Mispelled in Pipstone)
Arrival May 1, 1899 - age 26 - going to new York to the uncle Filippo - Last residence Palermo....

It matches with the arrival date of his wife Maria and two sons Giacomo and Ignazio Sept. 19, 1899
Laura
Possible arrival Manifest for Michele Pipitone????
(Mispelled in Pipstone)
Arrival May 1, 1899 - age 26 - going to new York to the uncle Filippo - Last residence Palermo....

It matches with the arrival date of his wife Maria and two sons Giacomo and Ignazio Sept. 19, 1899
Laura
Re: Pipitone and Rosato Families Palermo 1900
Okay everyone I got to thinking, (not always a good thing, but this time it was) I called a cousin in Fla who's father's home my grandfather Andrea Pipitone died.....He had had some records but he didn't know what ones and low and behold....three days later he has his Orginal birth record and his naturalization paper. MISILMERI is where he was born! Now where do I write to? If I need another copy and to search for my Grandmother's.
Also, I was reading that my perhaps my Aunt thought she would be naturalized under her father's (before 1924). Was the age 18 or 21 then for children. And then when she married? I have'nt gotten her papers yet, but I did get a email from NARA that my request couldn't be found, I don't know if that was my Grandfather's or hers......I guess time will tell.
9 days and counting before I leave for ROMA!!!
Also, I was reading that my perhaps my Aunt thought she would be naturalized under her father's (before 1924). Was the age 18 or 21 then for children. And then when she married? I have'nt gotten her papers yet, but I did get a email from NARA that my request couldn't be found, I don't know if that was my Grandfather's or hers......I guess time will tell.
9 days and counting before I leave for ROMA!!!
Re: Pipitone and Rosato Families Palermo 1900
Official website for Misilmeri
Some nice photos (click the Galleria Fotografica button).
Another nice site on Misilmeri from Sicilian Family Tree. Make sure to check out the surname databases as well as the birth, death and marriage records. There's even a video on the town which you can purchase.
http://www.sicilianfamilytree.com/aboutMisilmeri.html
Address to write to request civil records:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Misilmeri
Via Roma, 289
90036 MISILMERI PA
ITALY
Link to Italian form letter generator
Biff
Some nice photos (click the Galleria Fotografica button).
Another nice site on Misilmeri from Sicilian Family Tree. Make sure to check out the surname databases as well as the birth, death and marriage records. There's even a video on the town which you can purchase.
http://www.sicilianfamilytree.com/aboutMisilmeri.html
Address to write to request civil records:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Misilmeri
Via Roma, 289
90036 MISILMERI PA
ITALY
Link to Italian form letter generator
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Pipitone and Rosato Families Palermo 1900
Pete,
Dave Ferro whom I know from another forum invited me to register at Italian Genealogy to help you with your quest as you are going to Sicily soon to find your roots. However, it seem that you already found that Michele Pipitone was born in Misilmeri, but the aunt remembers him talking about Castellammare and was it the neighborhood in Palermo or was it the town itself or was Castellammare town once part of Palermo?
Ok, preamble I was born in Sicily in province of Palermo (actually was born in Palermo city in the hospital but lived in the province of Palermo) till I immigrated to the US in 1969 at the age of 14 but go back regularly since my parents returned to Sicily in 1983. Actually I am going there on Nov. 3 for my father's 80th birthday. My mother died in 2004. By the way, my maternal grandmother was a Pipitone, by way of Marsala oh...about 6-7 generations ago...
My understanding is that the Pipitone family (all of them) is originally from Marsala, in province of Trapani (famous for its wine, of course). Obviously coming from Marsala they owned vineyards and were in wine production, although at least one branch in the family were pharmacists. Three generations before my grandmother (my grandmother was born in 1909) so we are talking about 1825-1850 while Sicily was still under the Bourbon (Spanish) domination there was a scandal in the family. A member of the Pipitone family caught somebody stealing from their property but unfortunately that person turned out to be a Bourbon, i.e., Spanish or Spanish sympathizer, policemen or another kind of law enforcer. It is vague if that Bourbon policemen was wounded or ended up dead in the fray, but for the Pipitone family that meant that they were traitors to the King of Naples (where the seat of Bourbon royalty resided) and could have been sentenced to death if proven guilty. So they scattered. One person, the great grand father of my grandmother, ended up in my hometown (Altofonte, formerly Parco). Two members of the family went to Palermo and maybe from there some members ended up in Misilmeri. My grandmother said that (maybe because of security) that the Pipitones in my home town lost communication with the other members of the family in other towns.
That could be one reason, DutchPete you really don't know where your Michele Pipitone came from and his foot steps hard to trace. And yes, we may be distant cousins!
About Castellammare del Golfo (Castle of the Sea of the Gulf) it is a magical place and no wonder they always talked about it. It is a tourist place it is true, but beautiful just the same. I am not surprised they talked about it. I once saw a sunset at the age of 8 over the Gulf of Castellammare and still talk about it. Nearby there is the natural refuge of Scopello. It may be still be warm enough to go swimming there and no more tourists. I have often gone to Sicily in early October for that very reason: still warm enough to visit and no tourists. I strongly advice you to visit the area. It is not too far from Palermo and Misilmeri. And take the bathing suit along.
About Castel del Mare as a suburb of Palermo. It is in located in the historic center of Palermo as you take Via Vittorio Emanuale in front of the Palermo catedral all the way to the sea. You will see a small port there for smaller fishing boats. It was kind of polluted when I was a kid but they have cleaned it up somewhat. If you go to Palermo, it will be very easy to visit there. You may practically stumble into it.
My gut feeling, before you said that Michele Pipitone was born in Misilmeri, was that he was from Castellammare town as my gut feeling was that the Pipitone could never be fishermen, and in that part of the city you could only be a fisherman, or a shop keeper or a craft person. In Castellammare town you could still be a farmer, in addition to the other occupations.
Ok, below is a translation of the paragraph that describes the neighborhood in Palermo as described in
www.comune.palermo.it/...ammare.htm
"Sempre partendo dai Quattro Canti di Città , ma guardando a sinistra, il mandamento comprende l’area alle spalle del cantone di sud ovest. È delimitato da via Maqueda, da corso Vittorio Emanuele, dal fronte del mare e da via Cavour, e prende il nome da quello che una volta era il possente Castello a mare, del quale oggi restano pochi ma significativi resti. Ed è anche il mandamento che ha maggiormente subìto alterazioni e sconvolgimenti, oltre alle tremende ferite dei bombardamenti dell’ultima guerra, che cancellarono interi rioni prospicienti il mare. Esso si svolge interamente al di là della città fenicia ed era originariamente articolato in un fitto reticolo di stradine che iniziava dall’antico porto della Cala e dal Castello a mare e che aveva nel quartiere della Loggia il suo centro commerciale, frequentato in epoca medievale da mercanti genovesi, pisani, lucchesi, amalfitani e catalani.
"
Always leaving from the Quattro Canti di Città (Four Corners of the City) but looking to your left, the neighborhood comprises the area to the shoulders of the canton (corner) in the south west. It is outlined by the via Maqueda, by Corso Vittorio Emanuale and the front on the sea and by Via Cavour, and takes the name from what was was the stronghold Castello (Castle) at sea, from which today remain few but significant remnants. It is also the neighborhood that has for undergone the most alterations and perturbations, in addition to the tremendous wounds from the bombardments from the last war (WWII of course), that erased entire neighborhoods touching the sea. It expands entirely beyond the Phoenician city and was originally articulated with a tight network of narrow streets that initiated from the ancient port of Cala and from the Castle at sea and that had in its partition of the Loggia its commercial center, visited during the middle ages by merchants form Genova, Pisa, Lucca, Amalfi and Catalans (from Spain).
Here is a link about Castellammare del Golf. Responding a post on the subject, the town of Castellammare always has been very distinct and separated (about 35 miles away) from the city of Palermo. As a matter of fact the town belongs to the Province of Trapani. Another reason I though that Michele Pipitone had to come from there.
http://sicilia.indettaglio.it/eng/comun ... golfo.html
http://www.castellammaredelgolfo.org/
http://80.23.205.178/
I hope that my information was helpful.
Maria
Dave Ferro whom I know from another forum invited me to register at Italian Genealogy to help you with your quest as you are going to Sicily soon to find your roots. However, it seem that you already found that Michele Pipitone was born in Misilmeri, but the aunt remembers him talking about Castellammare and was it the neighborhood in Palermo or was it the town itself or was Castellammare town once part of Palermo?
Ok, preamble I was born in Sicily in province of Palermo (actually was born in Palermo city in the hospital but lived in the province of Palermo) till I immigrated to the US in 1969 at the age of 14 but go back regularly since my parents returned to Sicily in 1983. Actually I am going there on Nov. 3 for my father's 80th birthday. My mother died in 2004. By the way, my maternal grandmother was a Pipitone, by way of Marsala oh...about 6-7 generations ago...
My understanding is that the Pipitone family (all of them) is originally from Marsala, in province of Trapani (famous for its wine, of course). Obviously coming from Marsala they owned vineyards and were in wine production, although at least one branch in the family were pharmacists. Three generations before my grandmother (my grandmother was born in 1909) so we are talking about 1825-1850 while Sicily was still under the Bourbon (Spanish) domination there was a scandal in the family. A member of the Pipitone family caught somebody stealing from their property but unfortunately that person turned out to be a Bourbon, i.e., Spanish or Spanish sympathizer, policemen or another kind of law enforcer. It is vague if that Bourbon policemen was wounded or ended up dead in the fray, but for the Pipitone family that meant that they were traitors to the King of Naples (where the seat of Bourbon royalty resided) and could have been sentenced to death if proven guilty. So they scattered. One person, the great grand father of my grandmother, ended up in my hometown (Altofonte, formerly Parco). Two members of the family went to Palermo and maybe from there some members ended up in Misilmeri. My grandmother said that (maybe because of security) that the Pipitones in my home town lost communication with the other members of the family in other towns.
That could be one reason, DutchPete you really don't know where your Michele Pipitone came from and his foot steps hard to trace. And yes, we may be distant cousins!
About Castellammare del Golfo (Castle of the Sea of the Gulf) it is a magical place and no wonder they always talked about it. It is a tourist place it is true, but beautiful just the same. I am not surprised they talked about it. I once saw a sunset at the age of 8 over the Gulf of Castellammare and still talk about it. Nearby there is the natural refuge of Scopello. It may be still be warm enough to go swimming there and no more tourists. I have often gone to Sicily in early October for that very reason: still warm enough to visit and no tourists. I strongly advice you to visit the area. It is not too far from Palermo and Misilmeri. And take the bathing suit along.
About Castel del Mare as a suburb of Palermo. It is in located in the historic center of Palermo as you take Via Vittorio Emanuale in front of the Palermo catedral all the way to the sea. You will see a small port there for smaller fishing boats. It was kind of polluted when I was a kid but they have cleaned it up somewhat. If you go to Palermo, it will be very easy to visit there. You may practically stumble into it.
My gut feeling, before you said that Michele Pipitone was born in Misilmeri, was that he was from Castellammare town as my gut feeling was that the Pipitone could never be fishermen, and in that part of the city you could only be a fisherman, or a shop keeper or a craft person. In Castellammare town you could still be a farmer, in addition to the other occupations.
Ok, below is a translation of the paragraph that describes the neighborhood in Palermo as described in
www.comune.palermo.it/...ammare.htm
"Sempre partendo dai Quattro Canti di Città , ma guardando a sinistra, il mandamento comprende l’area alle spalle del cantone di sud ovest. È delimitato da via Maqueda, da corso Vittorio Emanuele, dal fronte del mare e da via Cavour, e prende il nome da quello che una volta era il possente Castello a mare, del quale oggi restano pochi ma significativi resti. Ed è anche il mandamento che ha maggiormente subìto alterazioni e sconvolgimenti, oltre alle tremende ferite dei bombardamenti dell’ultima guerra, che cancellarono interi rioni prospicienti il mare. Esso si svolge interamente al di là della città fenicia ed era originariamente articolato in un fitto reticolo di stradine che iniziava dall’antico porto della Cala e dal Castello a mare e che aveva nel quartiere della Loggia il suo centro commerciale, frequentato in epoca medievale da mercanti genovesi, pisani, lucchesi, amalfitani e catalani.
"
Always leaving from the Quattro Canti di Città (Four Corners of the City) but looking to your left, the neighborhood comprises the area to the shoulders of the canton (corner) in the south west. It is outlined by the via Maqueda, by Corso Vittorio Emanuale and the front on the sea and by Via Cavour, and takes the name from what was was the stronghold Castello (Castle) at sea, from which today remain few but significant remnants. It is also the neighborhood that has for undergone the most alterations and perturbations, in addition to the tremendous wounds from the bombardments from the last war (WWII of course), that erased entire neighborhoods touching the sea. It expands entirely beyond the Phoenician city and was originally articulated with a tight network of narrow streets that initiated from the ancient port of Cala and from the Castle at sea and that had in its partition of the Loggia its commercial center, visited during the middle ages by merchants form Genova, Pisa, Lucca, Amalfi and Catalans (from Spain).
Here is a link about Castellammare del Golf. Responding a post on the subject, the town of Castellammare always has been very distinct and separated (about 35 miles away) from the city of Palermo. As a matter of fact the town belongs to the Province of Trapani. Another reason I though that Michele Pipitone had to come from there.
http://sicilia.indettaglio.it/eng/comun ... golfo.html
http://www.castellammaredelgolfo.org/
http://80.23.205.178/
I hope that my information was helpful.
Maria
Re: Pipitone and Rosato Families Palermo 1900
This is such useful information and I replied personally to Maria. I would like to keep in contact with you, as you may think of more and I will maybe have more questions! How can I locate the church they were married in do you think? In Palermo? 1901
Well I went to Misilmeri and found that my grandfather Andrea Pipitone was born there 1873. They had the registration of marriage and Concetta Rosato was married to Andrea in Palermo. She was born in Palermo. OMG I thought of the difficulty they told me of in the offices in Palermo. But our driver said not to worry he would take us. The women in Misilmeri has a friend in the Palermo office and she would call ahead and make the arrangements. The researcher was very helpful and friendly. The guy at the front desk was difficult, but we got the job done and I have the papers. ALLELUA! Okay, my grandmother's mother's name Maria VISCONTI, my grandfather's mother's name Maria Stella Pachini. Now more searching. I am soooo jet lagged 9 hours difference is hard to do. In Palermo,
a cold front arrived and it was pouring rain. We arrived on a Sunday and toured the city as best we could. Went to the local markets and bought wonderful food! We only had monday to do our search and it was really raining. Got what we came for. We are so fortunate.
Well I went to Misilmeri and found that my grandfather Andrea Pipitone was born there 1873. They had the registration of marriage and Concetta Rosato was married to Andrea in Palermo. She was born in Palermo. OMG I thought of the difficulty they told me of in the offices in Palermo. But our driver said not to worry he would take us. The women in Misilmeri has a friend in the Palermo office and she would call ahead and make the arrangements. The researcher was very helpful and friendly. The guy at the front desk was difficult, but we got the job done and I have the papers. ALLELUA! Okay, my grandmother's mother's name Maria VISCONTI, my grandfather's mother's name Maria Stella Pachini. Now more searching. I am soooo jet lagged 9 hours difference is hard to do. In Palermo,
a cold front arrived and it was pouring rain. We arrived on a Sunday and toured the city as best we could. Went to the local markets and bought wonderful food! We only had monday to do our search and it was really raining. Got what we came for. We are so fortunate.
Re: Pipitone and Rosato Families Palermo 1900
Pete,
Sorry, I did not see your post till now.
It is my turn for leaving for Sicily. I am living tomorrow and will stay there for a little over 2 weeks.
Ok about finding the church where Andrea and Concetta got married. You could try the diocesis of Palermo for info. You could also contact the city hall of Palermo for the religious records. At that time there was separation of church and state and people had to get married in both the citiy hall and the church (now the civil marriage is held at the church as part of the religious ceremony...if you ever go to an italian wedding (in italy) in the middle of the ceremony, forgot exactly when (after the communion) the couple has to sign some legal documents with (and the best man and bride maid co-signing as witnesses).
I will find more information for you while I am there. I have a cousin who is a priest and my father used to work at city hall.
By the way I just read your private PM. I searched and in Castellamare there is only 1 household with the last name Pipitone. I have confirmed that the family probably originates from Marsala because it has the greatest number of Pipitone households in Sicily.
My father told me about the rainy weather. It was nasty according to him.
Maria
Sorry, I did not see your post till now.
It is my turn for leaving for Sicily. I am living tomorrow and will stay there for a little over 2 weeks.
Ok about finding the church where Andrea and Concetta got married. You could try the diocesis of Palermo for info. You could also contact the city hall of Palermo for the religious records. At that time there was separation of church and state and people had to get married in both the citiy hall and the church (now the civil marriage is held at the church as part of the religious ceremony...if you ever go to an italian wedding (in italy) in the middle of the ceremony, forgot exactly when (after the communion) the couple has to sign some legal documents with (and the best man and bride maid co-signing as witnesses).
I will find more information for you while I am there. I have a cousin who is a priest and my father used to work at city hall.
By the way I just read your private PM. I searched and in Castellamare there is only 1 household with the last name Pipitone. I have confirmed that the family probably originates from Marsala because it has the greatest number of Pipitone households in Sicily.
My father told me about the rainy weather. It was nasty according to him.
Maria
Re: Pipitone and Rosato Families Palermo 1900
They already checked at city hall in Palermo, and they didn't have the name of the church. Their marriage date way July 30 1901 on the civil records in Misilmeri and Palermo. The Misilmeri records says the place of marriage is Palermo.

