Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
The soda shop on Union Avenue was Goodmans I remember stopping there every day after IEY to get a milk shake. There was always a little extra left to pour.
My very good friend lived on 5th Street John Vitale he had an older brother whose name I can't recall,"getting old"
What about Millie's store, the best "wedges" in New Rochelle
My very good friend lived on 5th Street John Vitale he had an older brother whose name I can't recall,"getting old"
What about Millie's store, the best "wedges" in New Rochelle
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
I was raised in the "West" and have many memories of the comments made by "hahmastro" and "nyjudi" - you can see some on my earlier postings on this website re a book I have written to keep those memories alive. I am having a book signing at the Boys (and now Girls) club on 4th street on May 4 - if you would like further info on this or on how to obtain the book, please send me a private post.
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
Hey, it was good to see you post again. If I were in the area, I would be at the Boys Club. I'm sure that there will be a lot of old timers that will be there for the book and knew of the Colombo family. Are you still in the area? I should go back and read though the post, because I don't remember. The book signing should be fun.rsemenza wrote:I was raised in the "West" and have many memories of the comments made by "hahmastro" and "nyjudi" - you can see some on my earlier postings on this website re a book I have written to keep those memories alive. I am having a book signing at the Boys (and now Girls) club on 4th street on May 4 - if you would like further info on this or on how to obtain the book, please send me a private post.
Judy
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
I live in Connecticut now but I still get back to New Rochelle to visit my family and friends, especially since the book was published. It is called "The Last Best of All Times" and you can obtain it at Xlibris.com (or send me a private message and I will get it to at a lower price and I will sign it.)
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
I recommend the book it was well writen but best of all it brought back so many memories 
- southpawsammy
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 18 Jan 2008, 16:37
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
Thank you guys for all the postings my father grew up in west New Rochelle on union back in the 50's and 60's between 4th and 5th st. It was over a basement where the guys used to play cards but as a little kid I was never allowed in there. I also remember a candy store around there was it called dom's, not sure. Amicos deli was on the corner of 4th st I think. And thanks for telling me about those books will be on the hunt for them.
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
Hi, I may have known the Michael Pelillo mentioned upthread.
In case this helps anyone with their geneaology, I thought I would share what I know. Mike and his wife Angie were my neighbors in Brookfield, Connecticut. Mike was born in Italy, and his wife Angie (Angela) came from New Rochelle. While she was born in the US, she spoke with what I believe was an Italian accent. She and Mike spoke Italian at home.
Mike worked for years at Western Connecticut State College (now a university) in Danbury, Connecticut as a landscaper and groundskeeper.
I believe Angie was a cook for the Brookfield Public Schools. She also took care of many infants for the state who were being placed for adoption.
Mike was born in 1903 and died in 1990. Angie was born in 1909 and died in 1996. They are buried together in Brookfield, Connecticut.
They have a son named Michael who, last I knew, lived in Newtown, CT, and a grandson named Michael.
In case this helps anyone with their geneaology, I thought I would share what I know. Mike and his wife Angie were my neighbors in Brookfield, Connecticut. Mike was born in Italy, and his wife Angie (Angela) came from New Rochelle. While she was born in the US, she spoke with what I believe was an Italian accent. She and Mike spoke Italian at home.
Mike worked for years at Western Connecticut State College (now a university) in Danbury, Connecticut as a landscaper and groundskeeper.
I believe Angie was a cook for the Brookfield Public Schools. She also took care of many infants for the state who were being placed for adoption.
Mike was born in 1903 and died in 1990. Angie was born in 1909 and died in 1996. They are buried together in Brookfield, Connecticut.
They have a son named Michael who, last I knew, lived in Newtown, CT, and a grandson named Michael.
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
Hi all.... I thought I would pop in and say hello and thought that maybe with the new people posting now, that maybe someone could help me. I'm still stuck in my quest to find out more about the Colombo family. Maybe someday I'll be able to break though a brick wall.
I do have a new question.
My question is on my parents. Would you believe that I lived with them for the first 21 years of my life and don't know their wedding anniversary. It may sound strange but their lives were also wrapped up in my brother and I. We had big celebrations for birthdays, Christamas and other holidays but never on their anniversary. I know I was told a long time ago when it was, but for the life of my I don't remember what date it was. It had to be between 1940 and 1942 since I have letters here from my uncle that was in the service at that time and they were addressed to Mr. and Mrs Dominick Colombo. Is there a way that I can find out the date, the location and who stood up for them?
Judy
I do have a new question.
My question is on my parents. Would you believe that I lived with them for the first 21 years of my life and don't know their wedding anniversary. It may sound strange but their lives were also wrapped up in my brother and I. We had big celebrations for birthdays, Christamas and other holidays but never on their anniversary. I know I was told a long time ago when it was, but for the life of my I don't remember what date it was. It had to be between 1940 and 1942 since I have letters here from my uncle that was in the service at that time and they were addressed to Mr. and Mrs Dominick Colombo. Is there a way that I can find out the date, the location and who stood up for them?
Judy
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
Also, a repeat request if any new members know of my family. My grandfather was Dominico Colombo born abt April 26, 1872 in Italy. Died January 11, 1950. Son of Matteo Colombo and Maria D. Vaccaro.
Married Angelina Tinto (name changed from Tinchettella) born abt
February 22, 1884 in Italy. Died October 2, 1942. Daughter of
Michael Tinto and Carmella De Vito. For many years they lived at 129 4th St. in New Rochelle, NY with their children.
I would like any suggestions of finding out where in Italy Domenico
and Italy could have been born. Domenico may have been born in
Bonefro since many of the Colombo's of New Rochelle came from
Bonefro. I would also like to know if Domenico had any sibblings. I
knew their children since they were my aunts and uncles but all have
passed on now. I know that Nicholas Colombo that was a witness when
he became a citizen and when he got married since I have these
papers. I don't know what their relationship was.
I also would like to find out anything whatsoever on Matteo Colombo
and Maria D. Vaccaro. They were my great grandparents and I can't
find anything out about them. I don't believe that they ever came to
America since I can't find anything on them here.
I'm hoping someone can help me.
Thanks,
Judy
Married Angelina Tinto (name changed from Tinchettella) born abt
February 22, 1884 in Italy. Died October 2, 1942. Daughter of
Michael Tinto and Carmella De Vito. For many years they lived at 129 4th St. in New Rochelle, NY with their children.
I would like any suggestions of finding out where in Italy Domenico
and Italy could have been born. Domenico may have been born in
Bonefro since many of the Colombo's of New Rochelle came from
Bonefro. I would also like to know if Domenico had any sibblings. I
knew their children since they were my aunts and uncles but all have
passed on now. I know that Nicholas Colombo that was a witness when
he became a citizen and when he got married since I have these
papers. I don't know what their relationship was.
I also would like to find out anything whatsoever on Matteo Colombo
and Maria D. Vaccaro. They were my great grandparents and I can't
find anything out about them. I don't believe that they ever came to
America since I can't find anything on them here.
I'm hoping someone can help me.
Thanks,
Judy
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
You can contact the church (ex: St. Joseph's on Washington Ave. I contacted them for my dad's baptism certificate. At the time he was baptized 1910, the church was called St. Giuseppe's). Just give them a range to search (ex: 1940-1945)
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
Dear NY Judi since I live closeby let me know if you run into and problems with the church records in New Rochelle. I have family buried at Beechwood cemetary. =Peter=
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
Thanks for the suggestion. Hmmmm, I'm going to try getting in contact with them. Did you write or make a phone call? I never had much luck with the churches but since they sent you your dad's baptism certificate, maybe I can get some type of information from them. Probably not my parents marrige certificate since I believe they weren't married in the church, but I could be wrong about that. I'm just wondering if my dad's baptism papers would be there or if they are at the Blessed Sacrament Church on Shea Place in New Rochelle? Blessed Sacrament was nice enough to send me a copy of my grandparents marriage certificate. I don't know when my grandparents started going to St. Joseph's Church. I suppose when they moved in to the house on 4th when my dad was young. I'm not sure if he was born in the house, just that he spent his boyhood in it.gemellua wrote:You can contact the church (ex: St. Joseph's on Washington Ave. I contacted them for my dad's baptism certificate. At the time he was baptized 1910, the church was called St. Giuseppe's). Just give them a range to search (ex: 1940-1945)
Thanks again.
Judy
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
Thanks for the offer Peter, I'll take you up on it if I need to. Up until 3+ years ago, I was your neighbor. I lived all of my life in Mamaroneck before moving to AZ. I miss the area like crazy at times.PeterTimber wrote:Dear NY Judi since I live closeby let me know if you run into and problems with the church records in New Rochelle. I have family buried at Beechwood cemetary. =Peter=
Isn't Beechwood the cemetery next to Holy Sceputur (sp?) the Catholic cemetery? If it's the cemetery next door to the Hoy Sceputur, I remember when growing up it being referred to as the Protestant Cemetery. I would imagine that anyone could be buried there now.
I see that you live in Yonkers. I spent many years going to the Yonkers Fair and also later watching the horses race although I never betted on a race. I was just a watcher. Of course now the fair is history but when I left the hores were still racing.
I wanted to mention that this is a great site. This site and the people here have helped me like no other in my research of my family. Thanks to all of you.
Judy
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
Dear Judi the race track is still going strong and the 7 storey gambling casino looms highover the racetrack with nothing but slots (no real tablegambling yet) called Empire City and all you can eat and lose. Beechwood is open non sectarian and goes all the way back to the late 1700's. We drive thru the cemetary and the historic part is full of civilized amenities like benches and shade trees with genteel tombstones carved of the hardest rock. Wars of 1812, civil war and WW1 graves abound, history unravels. Thoughts. =Peter=
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Colombo of New Rochelle, NY
By the way how is Bizbee doing these days? My wife and I skirted along the border on one of our desert forays and stopped off there for a few days. The mine was a fun ride straddling the moving benches where you go up to go down and down to go up (clever way they made it easy for the mules to pull the ore). I am sure you have visited there but just in case, the nearby indian national park in Spring is gorgeous.=Peter=

